When does your calorie counter reset?

Options
SO its something ive been wondering for awhile. when does your calorie needs reset? like lets say you need 2300 a day. do your needs reset at midnight or when you go to bed then wake up? like if i ate something at midnight then went to bed at 5am and woke up at 2pm and then eat something. do I count my calories of what I ate at midnight for that day or is what I ate when I woke up all i factor? its something ive always wondered and with my new schedule thats my internal clock lol, so just wondering :) if anyone knows.

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    SO its something ive been wondering for awhile. when does your calorie needs reset? like lets say you need 2300 a day. do your needs reset at midnight or when you go to bed then wake up? like if i ate something at midnight then went to bed at 5am and woke up at 2pm and then eat something. do I count my calories of what I ate at midnight for that day or is what I ate when I woke up all i factor? its something ive always wondered and with my new schedule thats my internal clock lol, so just wondering :) if anyone knows.

It asseses your loss and will ask you if you want it to recalculate your goals.
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i would think what you ate from midnight to midnight would be one calorie day.
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i am not 100% sure but i would imagine YOUR day is done when you go to sleep. So if you work nights and dont go to sleep until 5am then ur new day starts when you wake up... and ends again at 5am....

if you are waking up in the middle of ur sleep to eat.. i think that is just a NO-NO... BUT just think if we got to in while we were sleeping and it didnt count at all, like a parallel no calorie universe, j/k!!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    your counter automatically resets at midnight, but if you click on your 'food' tab, there's a box above your log with the date and arrows on either side. If you click the left arrow it takes you back to the previous day. I, personally, count my days as from when I wake to when I go to sleep. Now, I don't generally got to sleep before midnight, so I frequently have to manually switch back to the previous day. The only really annoying thing about doing it this way is if I close my diary after midnight, it doesn't pop that neat status update to all my friends letting them know that I completed my logging (and that I was under if I was).
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    on mfp each day at midnight is starts counting again...
    If thats what you mean??
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your calories "reset" each day at midnight for the time-zone you set on your profile. I bumped my timezone a couple to the west so I could make sure my logging at 1130pm or later which would run to actually after midnight local....would still give me the "completed his food journal" message.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    The website changes to the next day in your diary at midnight in your time zone. Many people with odd schedules just simply stay on the same day - meaning, if you eat dinner at 2 am, just click the back button on the calendar in your diary and you can still log an entry for the previous date. Also, you may want to rename your meals according to time, rather than "dinner" or "lunch". However, if you complete your diary (with the Complete button), it will not post on your news feed if you do it after midnight.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Your calories "reset" each day at midnight for the time-zone you set on your profile. I bumped my timezone a couple to the west so I could make sure my logging at 1130pm or later which would run to actually after midnight local....would still give me the "completed his food journal" message.

good idea :wink:
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It resets at midnight. So if I eat something at 12:01 on 6/12, even though you're still awake and thinking its 6/11, I log it as being on 6/12... the new day.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    im sure someone told me it ends and starts at midnight. :0)
  • jrr429
    jrr429 Posts: 9
    Options
    haha i must have worded it wrong, i was not talking about the mfp reseting, i ment as in the body's internal calorie burner. as in if i were to eat something at 1 am on sunday, not after waking up but getting off work, then would my body put that towards calories for the day of sudnay? and so then when i go to sleep at 5 and wake up again at noon would whatever i eat after waking up (still on sunday) be counted on top of what i ate at one? or is what I ate on sunday at one have no effect on my calorie countings after waking up from what is now my new sleep schedule? thats what I tried to ask lol. hope this is a little more clear. not talking about mfp resetting lol.
  • Screenager88
    Screenager88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't work on a clock like MFP, it doesn't put calories towards any particular day - it harvests energy from food and uses it when it needs to, to stay functional .

What I'm trying to say is that your question doesn't make sense, because things don't work like that in biological systems like the human body, in other words, just set an arbitrary time for yourself, based on your sleeping pattern and stick to it. So for most people a time of midnight would be a good arbitrary point to reset there calorie count.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    haha i must have worded it wrong, i was not talking about the mfp reseting, i ment as in the body's internal calorie burner. as in if i were to eat something at 1 am on sunday, not after waking up but getting off work, then would my body put that towards calories for the day of sudnay? and so then when i go to sleep at 5 and wake up again at noon would whatever i eat after waking up (still on sunday) be counted on top of what i ate at one? or is what I ate on sunday at one have no effect on my calorie countings after waking up from what is now my new sleep schedule? thats what I tried to ask lol. hope this is a little more clear. not talking about mfp resetting lol.

Ohhhhh. Haha.

Doesn't matter a lot which way you do it. Some people log it the day before, some people log it the next day. As Screen said, the body isn't on a 24 hr clock. I would just log it however is most convenient for you.