SPARTAN RACE?? When are you ready?

Options
Im down 35lbs feeling pretty good... I am gonna start doing some jogging/cardio to train for a spartan race (sprint.. shortest race)
wondering how far between obstacles it is, in other words how far do I need to jog or run at a time.. .1 mile? .25 mile? I want to get ready for one but dont want to be the guy Walking

Replies

• Luv2h1k3
    Luv2h1k3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Depends on which race you pick. I did a Sprint with my 17 yr old son 2 yrs ago (he left me in the dust). Trust me...if you walk between obstacles, you won't be the only one. The Sprint is approximately 3 miles with 20+ obstacles. I was super proud of myself just finishing the race! I had to do burpees on several obstacles (if you fail an obstacle/can't do one, you have to do burpees before you can proceed to the next obstacle). I highly recommend strength training, especially upper body if it is not already part of the routine. Lots of people have worn go-pros on past races, so if you search "Spartan Race" on YouTube, you can pretty much see an entire race. Obstacles change from race to race but you can pretty bet you'll have lots of walls to scale and a rope climb.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    While not "required", I'd suggest being able to run a 5k without stopping (on the road or treadmill) as a place to start.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    well I have 1 year before next spartan race in my area better hit the road running... I want to do this its my new goal
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the sprint then the distance between obstacles isn't very far. In my experience what gets people is the hills. So I'd add in some hill training and practice carrying loads (e.g. log on the shoulder, bucket of rocks, heavy deadballs) up the hills. You'll also get a bit of a break while waiting to do obstacles, so don't worry do much if you can't run miles and miles without stopping. There's 100% no shame in walking if you need to, you definitely won't be the only one. Practice your burpees, build your upper body strength and grip strength as well.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not into sprints, but listen to gdyment and whoever said hills. If you don't have a gym you're safe with the following: carrying a bucket of rocks up and down a hill, pull-ups, and a 5k run nonstop, burpees. This will establish a strong base for your beginning race.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I did 3 spartan races this year (a sprint, a super, and a beast). I didn't train for any of them. The sprint wasn't bad at all, super wasn't really bad either, the beast kicked my *kitten*. If you want to train, don't worry about timing yourself, just worry about endurance and running further each training run than the last.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    well I have 1 year before next spartan race in my area better hit the road running... I want to do this its my new goal

A year is stacks of time, you'll be fine!
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    By website... that's when next one near me is. Except for next month 3 hours away

• jjaujero
    jjaujero Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Anyone running the Sprint in LA next month?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Honestly just train the best you can. There are people of ALL shapes, sizes, ages, and fitness levels out on the courses. The level of difficulty for a Sprint REALLY depends on which venue you chose. A stadium sprint is very easy compared to say the Palmerton Sprint in PA....which is harder than some Beasts that I've done!

Feel free to add me or send me any questions. I've done quite a few Spartan Races :)
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing the Chicago Sprint in June. I am absolutely terrified and excited all at the same time.
    Anyone else going to Chicago?
  • monie5903
    monie5903 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Spartans in August. I did DC Sprint, Wintergreen Super, and the Carolina Beast this past weekend. I learned about Spartan races in July and in the span of 3 months have gotten a trifecta. Thinking about a double trifecta next year, but not sure.

In regards to preparing for one, I echo esjones, just go out there and do it. People are SO HELPFUL. I was literally crawling up people helping me over walls this weekend. Just do a couch to 5K program to start off and then after that if you feel like adding more distance, DO IT! I am currently working with our local running store and following a 10 miler program that will be tweaked for me to complete my first half marathon in February. There are so many resources out there to use. You've just gotta look! I would definitely say work on that upper body and core and don't worry about walking, lots of Spartans walk ;)
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Check out the Spartan website too. They have WODs posted there and are really good at getting you prepared for the Sprint. They help to mix it up rather than just all running. Also do burpees and then when you can't do any more burpees...do some more.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Honestly just train the best you can. There are people of ALL shapes, sizes, ages, and fitness levels out on the courses. The level of difficulty for a Sprint REALLY depends on which venue you chose. A stadium sprint is very easy compared to say the Palmerton Sprint in PA....which is harder than some Beasts that I've done!

Feel free to add me or send me any questions. I've done quite a few Spartan Races :)

I'm originally from Palmerton and was planning on doing that one next year with my brother! I'll definitely train a bit harder now that I know that it is a tougher venue haha
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Burped is an up down jumping jack right
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    mmabry72 wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing the Chicago Sprint in June. I am absolutely terrified and excited all at the same time.
    Anyone else going to Chicago?

I am! It will be my 6th ocr and first Spartan. It will be fun. Can't wait till May which is my first OCR of the year.
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The burpee is more of a plank, jump up, and back to plank.
    marines_burpee.jpg

I did my first OCR this past summer. It was a short one (2ish miles I think) with lots of mud but it was fun. I finished in the top 5% but I think 95% of the people where just out to get muddy :)
    This Spartan is going to be a different beast altogether.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    I would rather skip the mud that's just foolishness..
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ^ That is actually not a full burpee. A full burpee actually includes getting your chest on the ground and then a push-up to get back up. Doing the above would get you a DQ from an elite heat.

For more info and video check out the Spartan Page: https://spartanrace.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203602743-Rules-Guidelines-and-Penalties-for-Spartan-Race-Obstacles
  • Jimmie342
    Jimmie342 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Completing a Spartan Race is one of my end goals as well. I still have quite a bit of weight to lose before I attempt one though. A lot of good info on this thread.