Lettuce Calories????

Options
There are so many options for Romaine Lettuce in the food data base. Which do you use for checking lettuce calories?

Also, what's the best weigh to measure lettuce? Do you PACK the lettuce into the measuring cup?

stupid questions, I know! :)

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, I double check google and choose one that falls within the general consensus. I don't; pack my lettuce.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I must say I wouldn't be all that concerned about the calorie count of lettuce, but still, I would use the very top entry (the one without the asterisk) because that's the entry that MFP has created, and then you can go by how many leaves you use.
    Or..........you can weigh it. I don't usually use entries for produce that are listed in cups because I have no idea how someone did or didn't "pack" the cup. Weight is more accurate for irregularly shaped items anyway.
    Thank goodness for my little postal scale. ;-)
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everything.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I would weight it too.....
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If its Romaine, I go by the amount of leaves, not measuring or weighing. It's not exact, but even if I'm off my 3 leaves, the difference will only be 5 calories or so calories.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I just guesstimate lettuce - the calories in the lettuce in a salad are pretty negligible to begin with so if I'm off by a half or whole cup, it's not going to do me in :-)
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When I have a sandwich, I just add 'one leaf' (or two) to my diary. If I am making a full blown salad, I usually measure it in a cup, not packed. Lettuce has so few calories, I really don't worry if I am off by a little. Weighing it is a good option too.
  • fitmomma613
    fitmomma613 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

I appreciate the tips! I do have my postal scale on my counter in the kitchen, I'll have to start using it more.