Fell off the horse and seeking encouragement.

Options
The week before last I was crazy busy with no time to workout, and in a high-stress/long hours situation that kinda crushed healthy eating. (I work in technical theatre as a sound designer. Back-to-back tech weeks are TOUGH.) But one week off isn't the worst thing in the world and I was all ready to get back on that horse last Monday.

Then I threw my back out. I've thrown my back out before but this was something else. Enough pain that I was sobbing and near to vomiting. After a diagnosis of an irritated disc I was put on prednisone and pain meds. My back is better now (about 75%) but obviously it put another delay on working out, which then kinda drove me into this "screw everything" spiral. I'm afraid to look at the scale. I feel like a slug. I'm bummed about how well I was doing and now how much I may have slipped.

I need some motivation, y'all! I'd also love some more friends. Put me back on the horse!

5'4"
CW: 145
GW: 135
Prednisone is a helluva drug.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "a high-stress/long hours situation that kinda crushed healthy eating"

This I don't understand. Does it take longer to snack on an apple than scarf down a bag of chips. Don't most resturants, (fast food, casual or otherwise), offer a salad or some sort of "healthier" fare? Why is it always our eating that suffers when we are short on time? Is it really that hard to have a healty diet or is the hectic lifestyle just a cop out?
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents. Stress and pain and prednisone are each individually enough to derail you. It's easier to fall back to old bad habits when the hours at work are long. But somewhere along the line you you make that choice to start again and I think you can do it. Also remember that most of the battle in losing weight is what you put in your mouth so don't let the lack of exercise be a reason to give up. Have you ever read the success story about Imogene_May (I think that's her name) who is in a wheelchair and lost 130 lbs? Inspiring! No exercise and every reasonable excuse. I swear that after I read her story, it changed the way I think about this whole process.
  • wanda601
    wanda601 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Even if you "feel" like you've blown it, keep logging ALL of your food -- every bite -- and you WILL get back on track. Just don't stop logging it all in. If you do, they you'll have no idea of how much you are putting in your mouth. This, too, shall pass. Don't beat yourself up. Just keep on keeping on and it will get better.
  • JustCallMeTes
    JustCallMeTes Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    wanda601 wrote: »
    Even if you "feel" like you've blown it, keep logging ALL of your food -- every bite -- and you WILL get back on track. Just don't stop logging it all in. If you do, they you'll have no idea of how much you are putting in your mouth. This, too, shall pass. Don't beat yourself up. Just keep on keeping on and it will get better.

Absolutely love this^^^^ I needed to hear that too!
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    KatsMeow12 wrote: »
    The week before last I was crazy busy with no time to workout, and in a high-stress/long hours situation that kinda crushed healthy eating. (I work in technical theatre as a sound designer. Back-to-back tech weeks are TOUGH.) But one week off isn't the worst thing in the world and I was all ready to get back on that horse last Monday.

Then I threw my back out. I've thrown my back out before but this was something else. Enough pain that I was sobbing and near to vomiting. After a diagnosis of an irritated disc I was put on prednisone and pain meds. My back is better now (about 75%) but obviously it put another delay on working out, which then kinda drove me into this "screw everything" spiral. I'm afraid to look at the scale. I feel like a slug. I'm bummed about how well I was doing and now how much I may have slipped.

I need some motivation, y'all! I'd also love some more friends. Put me back on the horse!

5'4"
    CW: 145
    GW: 135
    Prednisone is a helluva drug.

I have chronic pain too and I can relate. Living with pain sucks and it's easy to give in and eat out of misery. The key is to remember it's your health and find exercises that work for you.

I'm still coming out of a bad flare that affected by mobility as it hurt to stand or walk. I found a chair workout and just modified it.