raw / vegan diet

Options
I have been eating pretty much a raw/vegan diet for the last three weeks, prior to that a dairy, wheat, sugar and processed food free diet. I am really interested to see what interesting recipes people use and enjoy.
My aim has primarily been to sort out my psoriassis and i am really fortunate that my mother in law is a holistic nutrionist. So far so good and on the plus side it has helped me shed some of the huge amount of weight i have on my bod.
look forward to making some new chums :)
x

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm not raw/vegan but would love new recipes. I am vegetarian an limit dairy/gluten/soy.
  • inafit16177
    Options
    As a vegetarian who also limits dairy and soy:smile: I am very interested in some new recipes!
  • CharlotteTheHarlot28
    Options
    My mother is a vegan and very much sticks to a raw food diet. I am a vegetarian who often eats what my mother eats.

Now and again we have vegan pizza. We use the recipe/ingredients from this website: http://www.buteisland.com/
    With salad it makes for a perfect, fulfiling meal!

My mother also cooks barley and mixes it with roasted vegetables which is delicious!

Hope these suggestions are of some use to you!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Fun, fun! Finally something I can post on! My husband and I just started trying out veganism a little over a week ago. I hate to say we're "Vegan" because I feel like I haven't earned any street cred yet. ;) Once we've stuck to it for a month or two, I'll say it proudly. But anyway, here is one of our successes in recipes so far:

Vegan Baked Avocado Tacos ***** (five stars!)

4 Corn Tortillas
    1/2 C Vegetarian Refried Beans or Refried Black Beans
    1 Ripe Avocado
    1 C Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves
    1 Roma Tomato or Small Tomato
    2-3 TB Diced Purple Onion
    1 tsp Diced Jalapeno
    Cooking Spray
    Flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic

Dice tomato, onion, jalapeno, stir together to form a pico de gallo mixture, salt, pepper and garlic to taste, set aside. Cut avocado into quarters, coat with cooking spray, dip in mixture of flour, salt, pepper and garlic, only lightly coat this. Place on pan in oven under broil until the tops turn light golden brown (the rest may still look a tad floury, it's okay). Warm tortillas up on skillet but don't toast - you still want them nice and soft, but piping hot. Heat beans up.
    Spoon about 1 TB of beans in the middle of each tortilla, top with 1 avocado quarter, then 1 TB of the pico mixture, then about 1/4 C baby spinach leaves. Wrap up and enjoy!
    These are 326 calories for two tacos. This recipes serves two people, with two tacos each.

P.S. I wish I could take credit for this but I ate it at a cute little hippie restaurant downtown and just duplicated it at home!
  • roointheuk
    roointheuk Posts: 25
    Options
    well todays new recipe (to me at least) was a cashew mayo, very tasty! Very fortunate to live near Brighton where there are two really good vege cafes.

Has anyone checked out raw food made easy by jennifer cornbleet? Spent most of this morning watching her youtube videos just to try and get some new ideas for dressings etc.
  • CharlotteTheHarlot28
    Options
    That sounds amazing!!
  • roointheuk
    Options
    Cashew Mayo (cannot take credit for this)

1 cup soaked cashews
    juice of half a lemon
    clove of garlic (they suggest garlic powder but i find this repeats on me)
    tb spoon olive oil
    tb spoon flaxseed oil
    salt & pepper
    2 pitted dates

- i soaked my nuts for 45 mins but i guess longer is better

blitzed the whole lot in the food processor. Added a teaspoon of water at a time to make it a little smoother.

Apparently keeps for about 3 days. but my small batch went on my coleslaw. I am thinking this can be used for many other things. Thicker it would be nice as a dip.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Cashew Mayo (cannot take credit for this)

1 cup soaked cashews
    juice of half a lemon
    clove of garlic (they suggest garlic powder but i find this repeats on me)
    tb spoon olive oil
    tb spoon flaxseed oil
    salt & pepper
    2 pitted dates

- i soaked my nuts for 45 mins but i guess longer is better

blitzed the whole lot in the food processor. Added a teaspoon of water at a time to make it a little smoother.

Apparently keeps for about 3 days. but my small batch went on my coleslaw. I am thinking this can be used for many other things. Thicker it would be nice as a dip.
    Sounds great . I may have to buy some raw cashews I keep seeing lots of recipes using raw cashews. I'm dying to try some cashew cheese.
  • roointheuk
    Options
    Thanks for the taco recipe, sounds really good!! I cannot even begin to call myself vegan either :)

I dont know whether the cashews i bought constitute raw, they are just not roasted lol. I have gone with whatever my budget can stretch too. Not even sure how to log the calories today. I think i am going to have to spend some time popping the recipes into the tool on here.

Milaxx the cashew cheese sounds interesting! I have watched a few Matt Monarch videos on youtube too and he says about the cheese.
  • roointheuk
    Options
    OMG I have just made chocolate brownies!!
    Well the raw version. I love this woman and her recipes. These could be fatal given i gave up chocolate months ago hehe

1 1/2 cups walnuts (unsoaked)
    8 pitted dates (unsoaked)
    1/3 cup carob powder
    water

I added some dried strawberries too.

blitz a 1/4 cup of the nuts and leave to one side.
    blitz the nuts, add the dates and process until they come together.
    add the carob powder.
    remove mixture into a bowl and knead in the rest of the nuts.
    add to a square tupperware and pop in the fridge to set.
    made 8 small squares for us :) and oh my life they are good!! x
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fun, fun! Finally something I can post on! My husband and I just started trying out veganism a little over a week ago. I hate to say we're "Vegan" because I feel like I haven't earned any street cred yet. ;) Once we've stuck to it for a month or two, I'll say it proudly. But anyway, here is one of our successes in recipes so far:

4 Corn Tortillas
    1 Ripe Avocado
    1 tsp Diced Jalapeno
    Cooking Spray
    Flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic

Dice tomato, onion, jalapeno, stir together to form a pico de gallo mixture, salt, pepper and garlic to taste, set aside. Cut avocado into quarters, coat with cooking spray, dip in mixture of flour, salt, pepper and garlic, only lightly coat this. Place on pan in oven under broil until the tops turn light golden brown (the rest may still look a tad floury, it's okay). Warm tortillas up on skillet but don't toast - you still want them nice and soft, but piping hot. Heat beans up.
    Spoon about 1 TB of beans in the middle of each tortilla, top with 1 avocado quarter, then 1 TB of the pico mixture, then about 1/4 C baby spinach leaves. Wrap up and enjoy!
    These are 326 calories for two tacos. This recipes serves two people, with two tacos each.

P.S. I wish I could take credit for this but I ate it at a cute little hippie restaurant downtown and just duplicated it at home!

Congrats!! Happy to help with recipes or support!! I just started year 3 vegan (was veg before that... For a couple of years & haven't eaten cows or piqs since 1996). Has been a journey for me... And a great one.

Again - happy to help with any insight I might have!

Best
    Patrick
  • SueHerm
    SueHerm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan but not raw. I lose best when I have (most days) a green smoothie for breakfast, a bean meal for lunch, and a vegetable meal for dinner, with a handful of nuts for a snack.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options

4 Corn Tortillas
    1 Ripe Avocado
    1 tsp Diced Jalapeno
    Cooking Spray
    Flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic

Congrats!! Happy to help with recipes or support!! I just started year 3 vegan (was veg before that... For a couple of years & haven't eaten cows or piqs since 1996). Has been a journey for me... And a great one.

Again - happy to help with any insight I might have!

Best
    Patrick
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :smile:
  • roointheuk
    Options
    fantastic! Its quite difficult to convince others that i am eating healthy so i dont bother lol.

not looking forward to eating out at a chinese though :( I am looking forward to the tacos.
    All suggestions and recipes will be greatfully received :)
  • ebilharz
    ebilharz Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm surprised to find another raw foodie on here! I've had awful allergies to gluten/grains/dairy, so I stick to veggies and fruits. In the winter I cook my veggies and soups just to have something warm, but mostly I stick with raw just because it's simple and my tummy feels better. :) I have some great recipes, particularly for breads and crackers made entirely with nuts, seeds, and herbs. Do you have a dehydrator?
  • NuevaNatalia
    NuevaNatalia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am a raw vegan here. I'll be more than happy to share some recipes. Talk to you soon.
    :happy:
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I ate 75% raw and dropped 15 lbs my first month. It was awesome. I've since slipped BIG TIME but thankfully have kept all of the weight off (minus 3 lbs, but who's counting?). I felt so much better eating raw so I really am trying to incorporate raw foods slowly back into my overall diet. It has been really difficult, however. For some reason, I can't seem to stay on track. :(
  • roointheuk
    Options
    I'm still not fully raw but have gone back to a full veggi diet. Im about three months into an elimination diet and do feel well on it.
    Had a disaster with my lunch today but I think I had a bad batch of broccoli! I don't know if I will stay fully raw but I figure a large proportion would be better than nothing.

I don't have a dehydrator no. I'm trying to judge how low my oven will go. Kale crisps looks very good and an easy way to get more greens into the diet. How long have you Been raw? I have been finding it fascinating. We are reading eat to live and Jennifer cornbleet recipes at the mo.

I am on a roll and really don't want a slip up mainly because I'm nowhere near my goal weight yet. This has definitely been the most consistent weightloss in ages!!
  • NuevaNatalia
    NuevaNatalia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not to be quick to buy a dehydrator. There are great dehydrated recipes such as the kale chips but recipes such as the corn nachos or flax seed crackers may have a lot of calories and fat. Also beware of the yummy cashew and nut-based dishes like cashew sour cream and nut loaves because they have a whopper of calories and fat. One cup of cashews have more than 400 calories. Trust me. My raw vegan diet used to be so heavy in nuts and dehydrated foods, I'd often wonder why the weight never came off and in fact I was gaining weight.

Now it is a lot better. I eat high-water content, alkaline food. Lots of fruits and vegetables and keep my nuts and seeds to a minimum. I feel very satisfied and my digestion is much better.