Do I really want to lose the weight?

Options
Does anyone else ever have to ask themselves that question over and over again? The worst part is sometimes my answer isn't a good one.

Do I want to eat myself sick at this buffet or do I want to lose weight? ..... *proceeds to stuff face w/ everything*

Sometimes I wonder if I really do want to lose weight, because if I do, then why do I miss all the greasy fast food, and that feeling of eating until you need to be rolled out of the restaurant, why do I miss food so much?

And its not like I deprive myself, I eat things I like in moderation.... but I want more than moderation...I want the whole damn pizza. Or the whole box of cookies.

Just had to vent today. Thanks for listening!

violet-color-400-214x300.jpg

Replies

• chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear you on this one! Do I want to be thin and fit again? Absolutely! Do I want Taco Bell & Olive Garden & all the other places I've not been to since starting this? ABSOLUTELY! I just keep holding on for maintenance mode. Hopefully by then I'll have the right frame of mind to eat what I want and then exercise to work it back off!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I think it'll get easier. I never was a huge fast food eater, but I LOVED Taco Bell and chips like Cheetos. For me, I really just thought healthier is wayyy more satisfying than any food on the planet. And for many things I used to enjoy eating, I really had to quit eating them cold turkey because as long as those things are in your diet, you will crave them. After "quitting" a food, you'll probably go through a withdrawal period, but then after awhile you just don't crave those foods anymore.
  • Thompsonic7
    Options
    I feel this so much! I think part of it is due to the fact that I don't *need* to lose weight, so whenever I'm craving food I remind myself that I'm not actually overweight and then I go ahead and eat everything... My love of food is greater than my desire to lose weight!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I ask myself that every single day, and stuggle every single day..not easy..its hard to stop at one or two slices..or one or two cookies..
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I feel you!!! Completely....I am a binge eater, i love the feeling of being so stuffed that it almost hurts....I am a true glutton, i eat when i'm bored too.....so breaking these habits has been extremely hard! For me, i can't just have one slice of pizza or cake, i have to have like 5.....so id rather go without than bering teased with a little bit.

Sometimes I get the bad mentality that "this just isn't worth it:", but, i have never been skinny in my whole life so i don't know what it feels like, which i think makes it even worse.....its almost like it seems unattainable
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I feel you!!! Completely....I am a binge eater, i love the feeling of being so stuffed that it almost hurts....I am a true glutton, i eat when i'm bored too.....so breaking these habits has been extremely hard! For me, i can't just have one slice of pizza or cake, i have to have like 5.....so id rather go without than bering teased with a little bit.

Sometimes I get the bad mentality that "this just isn't worth it:", but, i have never been skinny in my whole life so i don't know what it feels like, which i think makes it even worse.....its almost like it seems unattainable

Yes! Totally how I feel.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options

You can do it my friend!
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think thte most important thing is that sometimes you need that one day where you have a meal and pig out. I usually just eat something light in the morning, then have that thing I'm craving at lunch so it doesn't hit me at night.

I reward myself. I had Taco Bell last night, and it was DAMN delicious.

All I know is, you gotta find what motivates you. Health, clothing, and happiness motivate me, haha. I was losing hope for a while until I found that I fit into a pair of American Eagle jeans that were tight TWO years again... which are now loose.

Keep yourself motivated, but most importantly.. take the time to explain to yourself WHY you want to lose weight :)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping an occasional visit to Olive Garden or wherever won't be a problem once I reach maintenance. What I know I'll NEVER be able to do again is mindlessly scarf down entire bags of Fig Newtons in a single sitting. While I don't crave sugary snack food so long as I don't have any, I know I'm only one cookie away from a binge
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you on this one! I'm always asking myself 'is it worth it?' But the fear of gaining the 20 lbs I've lost is there to keep me from giving up totally. It's so hard because I do want to be healthy and happy and skinny, etc etc. But I also love food! I love butter! I love cheese! My husband is thin and can eat what he likes, sometimes I feel like it's so unfair. I do indulge myself occasionally, but I think for certain things I'm just going to have to give them up and get rid of the cravings. Although I doubt i'll ever not want a slice of pizza!
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I feel like that a lot but I'm almost to the point where I don't miss all the food. If Joe & the kids have pizza, I make a small pizza with my 35 calorie a slice bread and add veggies and a slice or two of healthy turkey or chicken. If they have spaghetti, I'll have a healthy frozen spaghetti dinner. If they have hamburgers, I'll have one too but won't use a bun or use a healthy bun and healthier cheese & toppings.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck & keep up with your weight loss. You've done great so far!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Virgo, you'll get there! Sometimes I think that just knowing that you're overeating is half the battle. I took my sweet time losing well over a hundred pounds and have kept all but 25 off. And now with 30+ to go, I often sabotage myself by cutting myself some "slack." It only gets harder, not easier. Not to mention, that in the last couple of years I've developed a penchant for craft beers which are miles away from light beers in terms in calories...and taste! When I look at my food logs, I know I could lose weight if I cut out the beer...but it's soooooo good. Every now and then it leads to overeating the next day because only Ben & Jerry's can cure a hangover. Recently I've worked really hard on getting portions under control. For example, my "old" enchilada casserole recipe used to have 4 servings, but now it has 8. Portion control has always been my downfall, but I am slowly getting a handle on it.

I'm a firm believer in eating. And I won't even try to pretend that "in moderation" is something I can aspire to. I just take my licks, and try to work out as much as I can to negate it all. Of course you want to lose weight, but there's no reason you have to do it quickly.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I for one hate the feeling I get when I eat too much. Sometimes it ruins the whole rest of the night because I'm in food coma and can't move. I'd rather eat half a pizza tonight and get to enjoy the other half tomorrow, then to eat the whole thing and feel like crap. But that's just me.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel and for the person that posted they were a binge eater, I was/am too. After losing so much weight and having people ask me how all the time I have gotten a bit jaded. Launch into a full explanation and see people start rolling their eyes like "yeah, right" and realizing they have no intention of losing any weight for real makes you a little less inclined to help them. So now I have a few stock replies that might seem mean but are the truth and save me from trying to tell someone how when they don't really want to know. one that answers your question is "Do you want to eat twinkies or do you want to be thin?" because in the long run it is as simple as that. You either change your lifestyle and give up that glorious feeling of eating whatever you want in whatever amounts or you give up on being thin. The two cannot coexist.