Breads and pastas

Options
Pastas and breads are my weakness and I crave them. What do I do?

Replies

• nicolemarie__
    nicolemarie__ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eat them in moderation! Go whole wheat where you can if you haven't already.
    They aren't bad for you, just fit them appropriately into your diet
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm so bad with moderation. Tips?
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    - Only cook a single serving.
    - Put the leftovers in a container in the fridge before you eat your serving.

Beyond that, you have to want to lose the weight more than you want an extra serving of bread or pasta.

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Only cook what you are going to eat. Pre-log. If you log 2 oz of pasta, and that's all you cook, that's all you are going to eat :) I had a sandwich yesterday on a white roll. It was delicious. I went over my cals, but I usually even out by the end of the week!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Easy - it's sugar!
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    I'm not sure about my protein intake. Thanks everyone for the tips!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I keep my bread in my freezer. I eat a little protein and fat with my carbs so I don't get hungry again so fast. I tell my inner hedonist I will never deprive it of bread, so down, boy. Settle. Food is food, food is lovely, and we will never starve.

Try drinking a full glass of water between servings. To slow you down, fill you up, and give you time to re-think if you really need to be eating more.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    That's a good point I eat really fast a habit from childhood I need to break.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I prep most of my meals so everything is pre-portioned. This has really helped me listen to my hunger signals. Old DisneyDude would have eaten pasta til my stomach felt like it was going to burst. Now, I portion everything out, eat slowly and deliberately, and stop when I am out of food. I rarely have had an instance where I felt I needed to eat more. I am re-training myself to listen to my hunger signals. It has really made a difference in being able to control myself when I am eating away from home.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    I need to do that I'm going to try to find some health recipes online and just have a cooking day.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    I'm trying to break the habit of eating until I feel like I'm going to bust.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm from an old world Italian family and raised on delicious pastas and breads. I crave them often and find I feel fuller longer if I eat a lot of protein and pre-portion pastas. I try to keep carbs down because I will eat all day otherwise.
  • Shull_rachael
    Options
    I need to get my protein up I'm sure
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat whole wheat pasta over regular white pasta.

You DO need to work on portion size. Pasta is caloric. But you don't need to give it up - just eat less of it, and fill up on other things - meat (if you eat meat), seafood, vegetables, nuts, dairy... they will help with your protein intake as well.
  • talismanicmagic
    talismanicmagic Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I LOVE PASTA!!
    I try to keep it at 50-100g, mixing with zucchini noodles and having a protein with it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I only make pasta once a month now. When I eat it I give myself the big 100 gram serving which is very generous. I use the barilla protein pasta with legume flour because I hate whole wheat pasta. I usually pair it with a meat sauce for even more protein. And when it's over, bye bye til next month!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Look up siritaki noodles. 0 carb, and less than 20 calories a bag. They have a bit of a bite and work really well in place of pasta or rice. They soak up all the sauce so you get lots of flavor.

Practice small changes, open face sandwich instead of 2 breads. Or Cut sandwich in 1/2 and only eat 1 per sitting. Add large sides of cooked veggie or salad to help fill you up.
  • yenny58
    yenny58 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    - Only cook a single serving.
    - Put the leftovers in a container in the fridge before you eat your serving.

Beyond that, you have to want to lose the weight more than you want an extra serving of bread or pasta.

Great advice! I love pasta also, and I just cook the servings I need. It works well for me.
  • fireguy262
    fireguy262 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    try substituting with other "pasta". my new go-to "pasta" is spaghetti squash. the bought a veggetti and zucchini into "pasta" and it was great....the biggest hurdle is tricking your mind into believing its real pasta