Diary of a food tracker.

Options
Did you all catch this article in the New York Times on food tracking?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/17/health/wiredwell-food-diary-super-tracker.html?_r=0

Replies

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    That's pretty awesome.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff written on there is a little misleading ...

"Mr. Lochner experiments with not logging his food to see if he can stay on track. It doesn’t go well. After a week on vacation without tracking he gains back seven pounds."

No. Unless he ate 24,500 calories OVER maintenance he did not "gain back seven pounds". According to my scale I gained 5 pounds over the weekend... and then lost 2 of those 5 in under 24 hours. It's water weight, not magic.

I'm also no fan of their "healthy choice" and "binge" labeling.

"Binge: Four slices of Little Caesars Hot & Ready Pizza"

Seriously, if that's a binge I'm pretty well screwed. I also don't eat chia wraps or almond butter, so I must be doin' it wrong. *eyeroll*
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    24,500 over - maybe, maybe not. It also said he recorded his highest as 6000+ calories! I would say the man can eat, but look at what it took to get there's - burger, fries, box of cookies. Just enjoying some calorie dense foods without a care could really add up those numbers!

The article is really detailed IMO. I almost like how at the end, the guy is still like, I need to figure out how to do this!! He's lost 150 lbs maybe put some back on, but now it's figuring out how to maintain that and keep up the reduced calorie eating for the long haul

The graph showing paths of people needing to lose 50+ lbs who signed up for the app was pretty cool. Yeah it'd be nice to know in advance what would make people more successful losing weight with a tracking app!