do you guys ever cry while working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Wahbluffet wrote: »
    I sometimes cry at the end of a run. I'm not low, though. I think a lot of pent up emotions get released from focusing on a single thing - like mediation. I can also raise my mood by working out. It's a great mood elevator for me. I've had people comment on it if they've seen me before and after.
    Sometimes I used to get a bit tearful on the treadmill, crosstrainer or during any long bits of cardio. It wasn't that I was particularly sad, I just would suddenly get quite emotional and then tear up. It was a bit bizzare, but not connected to any insecurity or feelings of worthlessness.

It sounds like you are not happy in other areas of your life, and this is being magnified by exercise. Exercise should ultimately be a positive and empowering experience, not something that makes you feel ashamed or sad. This unhealthy relationship with exercise could lead down a dangerous road.

Have you considered writing down your thoughts just like you have hear and taking these to a counsellor? It isn't so much that you're crying during a workout, but that you're feeling very low during fitness.

hmm both similar answers and the closest to what i think might be happening.
    i just despise exercise so so so much when it is indoors and i feel very trapped at the gym. i live in a metropolis and it's winter so there is no outdoor exercise for me, really. i get too cold and it hurts my lungs and asthma.

i just dont enjoy exercising because i think it should be a personal thing or like maybe if youre playing a team sport with a common goal--jogging on the treadmill, to me, heightens a sense of insanity. all this running yet im going nowhere, place smells like bleach, painful to do it in front of others.

i wonder if i can just walk outside more and maybe have a 100 calorie more cal deficit. gyms aren't good for creative people and its hard for me to even listen to music without running, let alone with it.

Then stop what you are doing.
    There is no rule saying you need to be miserable to stay fit.
    Reconsider your options: what is the physical activity you enjoy? If it is walking, then go for it. Walking is awesome exercise. Also have you tried swimming? If I run on a treadmill, I end up often focusing on every single problem I have in daily life. This never happens when I am swimming. Maybe you could benefit from a class? Having an instructor and set goals makes you focus on the exercise and not on problems or what others are doing. Maybe something like a TRX class, pilates, zumba or a martial arts school?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Many people hate some of the mindless repetition in cardio. Try rock climbing (inside), join the Y and play racket ball, find a ping pong table, take a dance class, and on and on. Or just walk.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cry at the end of a run. I'm not low, though. I think a lot of pent up emotions get released from focusing on a single thing - like mediation. I can also raise my mood by working out. It's a great mood elevator for me. I've had people comment on it if they've seen me before and after.
    Sometimes I used to get a bit tearful on the treadmill, crosstrainer or during any long bits of cardio. It wasn't that I was particularly sad, I just would suddenly get quite emotional and then tear up. It was a bit bizzare, but not connected to any insecurity or feelings of worthlessness.

It sounds like you are not happy in other areas of your life, and this is being magnified by exercise. Exercise should ultimately be a positive and empowering experience, not something that makes you feel ashamed or sad. This unhealthy relationship with exercise could lead down a dangerous road.

Have you considered writing down your thoughts just like you have hear and taking these to a counsellor? It isn't so much that you're crying during a workout, but that you're feeling very low during fitness.

i just despise exercise so so so much when it is indoors and i feel very trapped at the gym. i live in a metropolis and it's winter so there is no outdoor exercise for me, really. i get too cold and it hurts my lungs and asthma.

i just dont enjoy exercising because i think it should be a personal thing or like maybe if youre playing a team sport with a common goal--jogging on the treadmill, to me, heightens a sense of insanity. all this running yet im going nowhere, place smells like bleach, painful to do it in front of others.

i wonder if i can just walk outside more and maybe have a 100 calorie more cal deficit. gyms aren't good for creative people and its hard for me to even listen to music without running, let alone with it.

I don't know about gyms not being for creative people, but what you've described about walking sounds like a much better option than the misery you describe. Also I don't recal if you're trying to do this everyday. If you stick with running on the treadmill, you could also cut back to fewer sessions or days per week, in case you still want some benefits of running

• cassimus
    cassimus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too! Mostly when I'm running and not at the gym. I agree with everyone that it is probably something deeper causing it. I know for me, I get into a negative headspace sometimes where I don't want to work out and feel like everyone is pushing me to but I don't want to and it's too hard and unfair etc etc. I have also just learned that running is not for me. I have always hated it and despite some really good efforts, I still hate it. So my quick fix advice is maybe try to find something you don't hate?
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'll be crying later today when I get there and some squat rack hog is keeping me from doing my squats.
  • karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I would consider a video. I really like the kettlbell kickboxing videos but there are a ton of options.
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have. But there was a deeper issue
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're having a hard time.

I have cried while finishing a run, but it was because of pure joy and excitement for having achieved something I didn't think I could... and not too long ago I briefly cried at the gym when one of my idols (a lady who KILLS it doing strength training) commented positively on a set of lat pulldowns I was doing. I just about died from happiness to get validation from someone like her – I am still quite overweight and don't fit the gym stereotype. ;)

I hope that one day you can experience exercise in a much more positive way.