belly fat since menopause

Options
bborley
bborley Posts: 19 Member
I have always struggled with my weight but I never really had belly fat until menopause. I have gained 25 pounds and now am well into my 200's. I plan on weighing myself tomorrow morning and I will post it. Each week I am going to add a new and healthy habit to start losing weight and feeling better. This week my goal is to drink 8 glasses of water each day. If anyone wants to join me please do!

Replies

• bonnyamanda
    bonnyamanda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi , good luck, like you weight came on due to menopause and of course eating to much of the wrong suff, yes drinking water really helps and great for skin.
  • bborley
    Options
    Thank you. I am determined to start making healthy choices.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm not at menopause age but I gained weight due to ivf pregnancy etc and belly fat is stubborn, feel free to add me you can lose it.
  • bborley
    Options
    Here it is, my weight today is 221.6 I will let you know at the end of the day if I was able to drink 64 oz of water today!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The best habit you can focus on is eating at a calorie defecit and following a progressive resistance programme

Good luck
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    so i can blame this weight gain on menopause!!! lol I feel you I have belly fat too but attributed it to my bad eating choices!! I would love to join you. I will send you a friend request!
  • AppleGypsy
    AppleGypsy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Menopause nearly killed me with this weight! It's not why I am fat but its not helping, and it's so much harder to lose now. I would love to have any of you all as friends!
  • bborley
    Options
    I did well with my water intake yesterday 8 glasses. The only thing is that I had to go to the bathroom alot LOL! I know that eating fewer calories and exercise is the ultimate goal, but I also believe that I can achieve this by working one heathy habit at a time! I would love to have you be on this journey with me!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Changing one thing at a time is a really smart way to go about losing the weight. The calorie deficit will be the most effective, but sometimes you can even chip away at that by dropping things out of your day. My belly fat right now is largely due to my snack intake. When I pay more attention to the mindless snacking, I realize how many extra calories I'm getting that I don't want (or need). And then the belly gets soft. I'm in for paying attention to one thing this week. I'll work on my snacks. I didn't send a friend request because I don't post on my wall. In fact, I don't ever go there, so I appear as a bad friend :blush:
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My waistline has fattied up this year . . . from 30" to 37"! My weight went up 23lbs. I only gained an inch on my hips and bust. I gained nothing on my calves, and a 1/4" on my thighs.

I'm 42 and perimenopausal. I'm also now insulin resistant. I've received a stern "talking to" from my physician. He put me on an aggressive, low carb, elimination diet on the 28th of October that I adhered to starting on the 29th. I've had a couple of blips, but I've lost 1.5" off my waist in just under three weeks. :) The changes he made to my diet upset me at first, but it seems to be working. I've adapted well.
  • bborley
    Options
    I am rooting for you girlwithcurls2 and how awesome norcogrrl on your inches lost! I want this group to be all about giving each of us support and celebrate our achievements!
  • 217happy1
    217happy1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello All

I started with one goal and completed it. To give up soda drinks. First went the fountain drink. Than Coke in a can. Last but not least root beer. I'm now soda free and drink a lot of water. My doctor told me to read the Wheat Belly Diet because I've carried the weight there since menopause. I'm doing this for my health because I'm 64 now and want to be healthy and have a long life since I retired.
  • rreneesmith32
    rreneesmith32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was thrown into menopause at age 29 from chemo and since then my belly fat is terriable blah... Good luck
  • nevertoooldtodoit
    nevertoooldtodoit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I too am hitting menopause and it is definitely helping my poor eating choices to catch up with me. It has also slowed me down a bit when it comes to working out.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Progressive lifting programme ladies

Strong curves
    New rules of lifting for women

Alongside calorie control for fat loss and you'll get your waist back
  • bborley
    Options
    Did well with my water intake yesterday. I did exercise already this morning.
  • bborley
    Options
    217happy, I am also doing this to be more healthy.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I just turned 50 and my cycle has been on time, on the day for 18 months... this never happened to me in all my prior years.. doctor said it can happen when menopause will begin and I think it is (although I still get it)... but it seems like overnight, I gained all this belly fat... I do eat healthy but not working out ... nothing really has changed for me (eating wise) and am shocked my jeans are so tight and have cushion around my middle.

I am starting a personal training routine Thurs 3x/week so I will let you know the results. I just want to cry with this sudden change!!! :'(
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I also notice a "goiter" on my neck.. need to get thyroid checked. Loved my 40's... I hope I love my 50's too! :/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some weight training, Pilates, or something. It does help.

Also, consider joining us here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

I also believe cutting back refined carbs at this time helps (and I'm not alone in my beliefs if you google a bit).

Good luck!