My DR put me on a 1000 cal diet

Options
tawneeannee
tawneeannee Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2015 in Introduce Yourself
:'( I started Monday. So far it's been a challenge.

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    you should reconsider a 2nd opinion
  • tawneeannee
    tawneeannee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why? I have diabetes and a stent in left artery of my heart. I don't think it's unreasonable but it's very challenging.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Based on his recommendation, I am assuming you are in the obese category? If you are, then the standard minimum won't necessarily apply. You could consider bumping it up to 1200 which I'm sure would still be a huge deficit.

To maintain a large deficit, you are going to need to choose filling low calorie foods. As you log your food (use a food scale!) you will be able to see what foods give you a bigger bang for your buck. A food journal might help too, both with figuring out what foods do help with hunger issues, but also with possible triggers to eating if you have issues with that.

I would say to focus on foods like chicken, fish, shrimp, vegetables, lower calorie fruits (berries more often than bananas, etc). You will probably want to fix most of your own meals. Greek yogurt is a fantastic snack, as are the small tins of flavoured tuna, or shrimp with some cocktail sauce.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Why? I have diabetes and a stent in left artery of my heart. I don't think it's unreasonable but it's very challenging.

hiyah yes it will be a challenge. you probably have to really plan ahead to make sure you reach that goal.
    how long do you have to do it for? Also did you get a range or is it 1000 and then thats it?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Use low calorie foods to keep you feeling fuller until your appetite starts to come down. Big bags of salad leaves, greek yoghurt 0% with a hand full of berries in. Sugar free jelly with an apple chopped up. Carrot sticks, whole cucumbers. Pickles are amazing, I can eat 50g worth for under 40 calories. Cottage cheese, for your calcium and fatand protein.
    Leave the skin on all your veg for the fibre content to help you feel full.

Keep a close eye on your fat content, you don't want it to go to low.

You can do it, post the type of meals you like if you want help working out how to cook them to reduce the calorie content :)

• HealthyDr
    HealthyDr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have done 1200 for a few months at a time adding calories if I was very active and felt much better at the end of those months. Giving it another try now and my diary is open to friends. Feel free to add me :)
  • plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    if your (trusted) doctor put you on a 1000 calorie diet, i'd follow it, even if ^others^ tell you differently. o:) it does sound challenging though, especially because you probably were eating more than what you're supposed to be now. something i love to eat that's soooo tasty to me is making vegetable stir fry, i guess you'd call it. i use a tad of coconut oil and add in pepper slices and carrot shreds and some cubed tofu and green beans and add spinach and tomato slices at the end so they don't get over cooked. it's seriously one of my favorite things and super delicious, especially with this apple bourbon bbq sauce from trader joes.