To Log or Not to Log...

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I play a little mental game. I log my losses, but not my gains. I have a general downward trend, so all this means is that I am not giving the water gains any power over me. I still get on the scale, I am still aware of it, but I don't let it be a big deal.

So it goes like this : Weigh on Monday - see a loss - log it. Weigh on Weds - see a small gain - don't log it. Weigh on Friday - see a small loss which puts me lower than Mondays weight - log it.

I like how it makes me feel to handle it that way.

This is me as well. From my experience, fluctuations make up gains, not losses.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing yourself more to understand the weight fluctuations due to hormones, salty food etc, and you also log those gains when they happen, then you should also log the losses. Then you gain a fuller picture. A few of my friends on here have told me that they only log a loss when the scales have stayed at that weight for 3 days or so - which is a cautious approach that works for them so they aren't disappointed. That may be best for you? While you say you understand there are fluctuations, it sounds like you would be disappointed in gaining after a loss rather than accept it in pragmatic fashion.

• YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    This is my opinion so you do what you want with it. I think that you need to either log every day, meaning every up and down, or once a week/month. Picking and choosing at irregular intervals doesn't make sense to me. Again, though, that's completely my own opinion.

THIS! I used to weigh myself every day, but only log my weight once a week. That way I could see daily fluctuations, but the once a week showed me the overall trend. Don't pick and choose based on whether you gained or lost. This can help you see patterns that could be helpful further down the road.