what good is weight training

Options
I hear a lot of women say weight training helped shape their body..what does weight training do? I want to shape my arms and legs but I don't know where to start

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Weight training helps an individual to condition, build, and firm up/retain muscle. There are many different approaches and programs. You'd have to define what it is you're actually trying to achieve to find out what program would work for you best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    It made me not skinny fat anymore :D
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    It made me not skinny fat anymore :D

Is it ok to say I'm jealous of your shoulders? :)
  • cheesyP
    cheesyP Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hmm my arm has no type of muscles I want to look stronger..my legs are big I would just like to add some definition to them and build my butt.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Weight training helps an individual to condition, build, and firm up/retain muscle. There are many different approaches and programs. You'd have to define what it is you're actually trying to achieve to find out what program would work for you best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your arms have muscles or else you wouldn't be able to type. That is, assuming you aren't typing with a pencil between your teeth or with your toes.

Per your profile, your goal is to lose 90 pounds. The #1 way for you to add definition would be to lose the excess fat. While doing that, you should lift weights (or do another type of resistance training such as bodyweight work) in order to minimize muscle loss. In addition, eat enough protein to maintain the muscle.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm far from being an expert but I have to tell you -- start weight training now. Keep doing it. It will reshape your entire body. I'm 66 years old and went from a US size 16 to a size 2/4 Petite. Lost 51 lbs while weight training along with some cardio and eating in a deficit. The weight training has totally reshaped my body. Listen to the experts here on MFP when they tell you to start weight training now while you're losing weight. It will help to minimize the amount of lean body mass you lose while also losing fat because you're in a deficit.
  • cheesyP
    Options
    Thanks for the tools! What area of my body should I start with?
    trina1049 wrote: »
    I'm far from being an expert but I have to tell you -- start weight training now. Keep doing it. It will reshape your entire body. I'm 66 years old and went from a US size 16 to a size 2/4 Petite. Lost 51 lbs while weight training along with some cardio and eating in a deficit. The weight training has totally reshaped my body. Listen to the experts here on MFP when they tell you to start weight training now while you're losing weight. It will help to minimize the amount of lean body mass you lose while also losing fat because you're in a deficit.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    cheesyP wrote: »

Work your whole body. Don't concentrate on one area until you are much closer to your goal weight. One thing, if you start a weight training program, take accurate measurements before you start and continue to track them. This is because you might find that the scale isn't moving as much as you like. That's because you are replacing fat with muscle. The measurements will help you see your progress even if the number on the scale isn't going down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

you should work your entire body, not just parts in isolation...that's about the worst thing you could do. Look at a program called New Rules of Lifting for Women...it's a good place to start and the read alone will answer a crap ton of questions for you and explain to you what you're doing, when to do it, and why you should be doing it.

weight training or otherwise doing some form of resistance training is how people get that "fitness", "toned" body.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    First off good for you...getting started is the hardest part!!
  • cheesyP
    Options
    Thankuu.
    First off good for you...getting started is the hardest part!!

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I'd find a program that works your total body if it were me, but you may hear from others with way more knowledge than myself who might say to split your workouts with alternating upper body / lower body workouts. I did the whole body thing.

My experience is with Les Mills Body Pump classes at my gym. I'd never lifted weights before and the instructors are very good at making sure you have the correct form. I started with the bar only then worked my way up to more weights. Once you have more experience you might want to move on to some other programs. I lift heavy for me so 30 lb squats, etc. right now (I'm really short & old).

The Body Pump classes are what changed my appearance -- eventually I plan on lifting heavier by working with a trainer on form and heavier weights.

Hopefully the long time MFPers who do really heavy lifting will chime in. If you're not using a gym, the book New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start.

So everything that @cwolfman13 said.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Right on, ninerbuff !
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Here's what I know from experience... Once I was weak.. very, very weak from illness and hip replacement surgery... Not I am strong! Cardio got me back up on my feet from a wheel chair, strength training got my muscle mass back to something others are noticing now! All in less than a year! Muscle burns fat! Hands down, end of story! It takes a lot more body energy to maintain muscle then it does to maintain blubber. Bulk up! Women will not get muscle bound like guys, we don't have the hormones for that unless you take steroids, we just get strong, toned, and very well structured!
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The most important thing to do if you really want to gain muscle is to get into a good structured lifting program.

I would recommend "Strong lifts 5x5," "Starting Strength" or "New Rules of Lifting for Women"

These sort of good structured programs get you working your entire body and will be the most efficient way to gain strength and to help you maintain muscle as you lose weight.