Running vs Walking

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    The formulae used by HRMs don't hold up for low intensity activities such as walking.

However Garmin uses HR to corroborate the GPS derived calculation, not the other way round.

Notwithstanding that, agree the point that going back to first principles demonstrates very clearly that walking consumes about half the calories of running the same distance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I always read walking is just as good as running.

I guess the key question here is what you mean by just as good as

The difference in calorie expenditure is illustrated above, the metabolic equivalents for leisurely paced walking and leisurely running would indicate that running burns twice the calories that walking does by distance. That relationship holds true asone scales the comparisons.

Walking is less physically demanding, so can be carried on for longer, however it has much narrower range of cardiovascular benefits. Running demands technique/ form in a way that walking doesn't. As you highlight you've had problems since a half, although it's not clear whether you mean persistent injury or something else.

I appreciate that latter point myself as I injured myself on my first HM and it took a good couple of months to get over that and back to running again. The intervening period was frustrating and I did lengthen it by not allowing the knee to heal properly before going out on it.

The big drawback with walking is, as highlighted upthread, it's time consuming.

It's a question of what's important to you, but walking is perfectly reasonable.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Walking is great exercise, but only nets about half the calories as running for each mile covered.
    Hmm. So I'll have to confirm it, but my understanding is that the difference on average for each person is about 50 more calories if they ran a mile/versus walking if the intensities were equal by performance. That obviously would be a 200 calorie difference for 4 miles, but I don't think many people on average walk that much in an hour's time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Runner's World's suggested formula for net calories expended walking .30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles
    same calculation for running use .63 slightly more than double the net energy expenditure running

runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

Having said that I would never discourage someone from walking if they would rather do that than running. You don't get the same cardiovascular effect (ie you're not pushing and maintaining the higher heart rate) but it's an activity can be done by almost anyone 365 days a year and is very unlikely to cause overuse injuries and doesn't require anything more than comfortable shoes (unless you get bit by the race walking bug....)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    fwiw, if you can't run cuz it hurts you, then walking is super awesome.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    At first, a month or so, but now I just use it to cover errors and occasional indulgence. I walk 2.3 miles during my morning break on most weekdays in around 30-35 minutes depending on the mood. Try cycling. It's lot easier on the knees and there are plenty of ex-runners that took up the sport because of running is to hard on the body (prolonged). Personally I hate running and avoid it like a plague (except when I was in the Army where it was mandatory).

Unless there is a structural imbalance, strength training is BAD for endurance adaptation. Your at odds as strength training builds bulk (contractile proteins) which makes less room for increases of mitochondria and capillaries. It retards the conversion of Type IIb to Type IIa fiber. Also, why carry the excess weight. This is why cross training = no man's land. (Assuming you are some what serious since you ran a half marathon).
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would actually rather run, but since the half marathon, I can't seem to run without needing a restroom rather quickly most runs. A little TMI, and for those that get grossed out easily, please refrain from continuing to read. During the half marathon there was only one port-a-potty set up, during the race, at mile 7. I had been holding it for a couple miles prior. After mile 7, my body seemed to have something wrong as I needed to "go again" mile 8, but there were not any "potties" set up the rest of the race. Immediately after the race I started puking and crapping blood (that's the TMI part). Ever since then (two years ago), I have not been able to go on a run without a "potty" very close by. Hence, the reason I'm having to walk.:(
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that you've provided too little information, rather than too much. What was the diagnosis regarding the bloody poop and the vomit? Is it a condition caused by running? Is your inability to run a mental block or do you experience those symptoms when you run, now?
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's called colitis. Running can cause it to happen. I don't run far enough any longer, to the point of blood/vomit, it starts with diarrhea and I need a break quickly.
  • mstofabulous
    mstofabulous Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love walking, a few years ago I lost 15 lbs just by walking every afternoon for about an hour. and on the weekends a bit more, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wasn't trying to loose weight! just trying to learn my way around the new neighborhood.. but now I don't really have the time to walk as much, but that is on my to do list for next summer, free up some time for a good walk. That saying I kind of fill that void by doing Walk away the pounds videos.. they re fun too. and when I go on vacation, that's what I do the most walk walk walk
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is how many extra calories fitbit gives me for walking, which is the only exercise I do. So yes IMO walking will get you results. This is for 25,000 steps, roughly 20kms.

qcutxcck0snn.png