Fried Turkey Recipe

Options
dbanks80
dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
Does anyone have a great recipe for Fried Turkey? I don't care about calories. I want something that is flavorful and succulent as I hate roast turkey.

Also is it really that dangerous? The only thing I know is that the turkey must be at room temp before frying.

Replies

• dbanks80
    Options
    I guess not
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    http://www.fabulousfoods.com/articles/19903/how-to-deep-fry-a-turkey This is how my friend did it following this recipe.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Thank You!
  • bigjeff6469
    bigjeff6469 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    it doesnt HAVE to be room temp when frying but when you put the turkey in the fryer pot and fill with water to get your oil line you want to dry it as best as possible. i use a creole injectable marinade and i always get great results and its not spicy at all. I would stay away from the Garlic Butter marinade but IMO i think it doesnt taste all that great. on a side note i let my turkey thaw for a full week in the fridge and dont forget to get the neck and stuff out of the middle. i missed it one year and one of the breasts were still raw so i had to finish baking it.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    great info!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I found out Popeyes sell Fried turkey. So I ordered one LOL!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just bought a 24 lb turkey and brined and (de)boned it. After that, i stuffed it with homemade pork cracklin, sliced green olives, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper, rolled it, tied it, and roasted it.

To learn how to bone poultry, i watched Jacques Pepin's youtube video on boning a chicken, and have practiced on those over the past few months, doing a chicken every couple weeks. The practice translated over easily to turkey, except the tendons in the legs, which were not hard to handle, but required a little more time.

When you bone the turkey (i boned it completely, drumsticks included), you can cook it much more quickly and don't risk drying it out like a whole turkey on the bone. This is because on the ribs, the breasts are up away from the rest of the body, over a cavernous pocket of heat. White meat also cooks to done at a slightly lower temperature, meaning the breast is done well before the dark meat is anywhere done, and the breast is overcooked when the dark meat is ready.

When you bone the chicken, it lays flat and cooks more evenly. When you brine, bone, stuff, roll, and tie it like i did, it still cooks evenly, and the brining and stuffing help it stay juicy while cooking.

The whole 24 lb bird (before removing the bones) cooked in 2 hours at 350 degrees, came out golden brown, moist, and delicious. presentation is great, and carving is a cinch.