Busy Schedule

Options
How do you all manage to fit workouts in? I get up at 5:30, have to get ready for work and have the kids on the bus by 6:30. I get back home from work around 6-6:30 in the evening. By then, everyone is hungry. Supper is over by 7:30, then it's homework etc for the kids. By 8pm, my hubby and I are exhausted. Weekends are no better. Sometimes I get a long run in if I can get an early start, but that's it.

I'm also trying to study for the CPA exam, which isn't going well.

Things we've tried:
* I go to the gym at lunch. This works okay but I don't always get to take a long enough lunch, especially during tax season. I can get a 30 min. maximum workout at lunch time.
* I cook supper and he works out while I cook. This works out great for him, but I don't get to work out.
* He cooks and I usually don't end up working out anyway because I get distracted by laundry, etc.
* I take a very short lunch break and leave work early to go work out. This doesn't work too well because I usually talk myself out of stopping because I'm so tired after work.

I know other people struggle with this and I REALLY need some ideas or a kick in the pants!

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Some mornings I get up an hour earlier. Some days I work out on lunch. If you can only get 30 minutes in, that's better than zero. Some days I skip lunch and leave work early to get to the gym. I make it a priority. Is it exhausting to work all the time and take care of kids and still try to squeeze in a workout, yes. But I would rather be exhausted and feel good about myself than exhausted and wondering why I'm vegging out in front of the tv at night miserable with how I look and feel like I used to.
  • VCH87
    VCH87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try a slowcooker to save time on dinner. Fire it up in the morning, let it cook dinner so after work you and your husband can work out together?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Verousj wrote: »
    Try a slowcooker to save time on dinner. Fire it up in the morning, let it cook dinner so after work you and your husband can work out together?

This. Even if it's just to make sure that one or two days a week, you can have 30-45 minutes to take a walk. Start with that and add other ideas on other days. Of if you get lucky some week and can fit a workout in at lunch or whenever just do it. I think we get caught up in what we want to be doing, or what we "should" be doing instead of just doing what we can. I try to get to the pool 5-6 times a week, dance class once, and a run with my sister once. I have come to accept that some weeks, it's pool 1-2 times, no dance class, no run. And that's OK. It's ONE WEEK of my entire life. And if I want to be healthy for life, I have to be healthy with its ups and downs.

And if it's your turn for a workout, you have to put yourself ahead of laundry or anything else that is distracting you. Until you are ready to that, you won't be ready to take advantage of those unexpected times when you can fit an unplanned workout in.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Would it be possible to set up 1 weekday where your husband handles dinner and kid's homework, then 1 day on the weekend where you can do your thing? That's two days a week where you get to workout without interruption.

If that's not entirely doable, then maybe you set aside 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening to do some strengthening exercises, then do some simple cardio, such as walking, on the weekends.

+1 to the slow cooker idea, too.
  • tamiawatson679
    tamiawatson679 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi I am in love with you`
  • lmcginley02
    lmcginley02 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I have a very hectic schedule as well, and work 7 days a week. Actually I gained quite a bit of my weight when I picked up my third job as I was just exhausted all the time and felt I didn't have enough time to work out. Unfortunately you just kind of have to force it in. Go to the gym or for a run on 'leftover' night, use a slow cooker for dinner, get up even earlier to squeeze in a work out, don't allow yourself to be distracted by laundry or cleaning or anything else until your workout is complete, and the hardest part is go even when you are too tired and just do something. If you go on autopilot and get there you'll do something even if it's a short workout. It's very hard but doable! I certainly still struggle as well.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. Also work full time, kids and studying. (trying)
    During the work week, I cook 3 times (one is a crockpot meal).
    The other 2 nights are YOYO nights (Your On Your Own) At first I felt guilty but then my kids told me they like YOYO nights because they can eat what they want. ;)
    They are in middle school so their meals are usually pb&J, cereal etc. I just tell myself they are not going to die because they are eating lucky charms instead of a "balanced" meal.
    I feel less stressed and I eat what I want and they do too.
    Also, "trying" to study REG.
    sent you a friend request.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The way I managed a workout was to keep it short, and do it first thing in the morning. Can you get up at 5 and do T25 focus DVD for 25 minutes? It'll kick your a** and get your whole day off to a great start. There are other 30 min DVDs but that's the one I started with. You can google for others. I like it over jogging because first thing in the am I finally got bored with jogging on my treadmill (after over a decade), especially in the winter months when the house is cold and dark.
  • VarnerChic
    VarnerChic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I plan to go to the gym after work. :)
  • VarnerChic
    VarnerChic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    The way I managed a workout was to keep it short, and do it first thing in the morning. Can you get up at 5 and do T25 focus DVD for 25 minutes? It'll kick your a** and get your whole day off to a great start. There are other 30 min DVDs but that's the one I started with. You can google for others. I like it over jogging because first thing in the am I finally got bored with jogging on my treadmill (after over a decade), especially in the winter months when the house is cold and dark.

I do have T25 but it's nearly impossible for me to get up any earlier than 5:30. I love/hate T25. It kicks your butt for sure!!
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    Have you tried an at home workout? I'm currently doing a 7 minute workout 3 times a week with stretching included. Maybe you could try that..its short but high intensity so its still effective. It consists of mostly body weight exercises. It has jumping jacks,planks,crunches,push ups,high knees,squats and wall sits. It's an app on Google play that I use and is giving me good results along with the 1540 calorie diet I'm doing too
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When my kids were young, I packed a gym bag and my work clothes. I got up in the morning and put on my workout clothes then got the kids out and went to the gym before work. I was able to get in between 30 to 45 minutes before I had to shower and dress for work. The gym was less than 5 minutes from my job which made this convenient. I also carried my sneakers with me so if I was running the kids around to practices I could get a bit of walking in while waiting. Remember 10 minutes 3 times a day still equals 30 minutes.
  • ArwenP
    ArwenP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It is really tough. Here's an article I read about exercises you can do while at your desk at work. I'm thinking about trying some of these out myself.

http://greatist.com/fitness/deskercise-33-ways-exercise-work
  • amandanicole90a
    amandanicole90a Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Verousj wrote: »

Brilliant idea!! Pinterest has wonderful crockpot recipes.