Thanksgiving tips!

Options
What are your Thanksgiving tips for not gaining weight? I don't want to deprive myself of everything but I want to have a plan for moderation so I don't overeat and go backwards.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It is one meal, on one day. One meal is not going to make or break your weight loss.

Edit: spelling
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to gain weight in one day. Thanksgiving isn't why any of us gained weight, although some of us certainly gained weight from turning a couple of a days into a "holiday season" that lasts several weeks.

That said, I'm focusing my meal on my favorite dishes and skipping the stuff that doesn't mean as much to me. And I'm going to keep it to one meal, not spread it out over several days.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    it is one meal, on one day. One meal is not going to make or break you weight loss.

Yep.

I plan on eating a massive amount of turkey, dressing, potatoes, green bean casserole, bread, gravy, and salad. Then at least two pieces of pie, and fall asleep on the couch watching football.

I will resume with my regular eating pattern the next day.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have 3 Thanksgivings on one day, plus one the weekend before and one the weekend after. It can get a little stressful. Last year I was a nervous wreck about it, since I was just getting into the swing of things with my weight loss. This year, I'm not so worried about it. Just have a little of whatever you want. Don't weigh yourself for a couple of days after and once you finally weigh in, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that it did absolutely nothing to hinder your weight loss efforts :) Relax and enjoy your holiday!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I agree that one meal won't kill everything you do. I had a pretty calorific day last year and still lost weight that week.

But there's some minor things:
    1) Try not to loiter and talk in the kitchen. Too much temptation to just stand and stuff the piehole as you do so.
    2) Plan on a post-dinner walk to burn off a little of the gobbling.
    3) Get your water in so you aren't eating food for hydration
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good point elphie754. I can get through Thanksgiving and will be hiking/running in Colorado where my family and I are spending the holiday with family.
    The period from November through Jan 1st is always tricky for me. Parties, teachers and staff bring in all sorts of sugary foods and nuts. I do best when I stay COMPLETELY away from the snacks and bring my own. Once I nibble on sugar, I'm doomed.
    I recently picked up a can of European style Chocolate mix and Trader Joe's and treat myself to one cup in the evening, made with skim milk. It's a dark chocolate and since it's Euro style, it doesn't have much sugar.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I am planning to gain weight on Thanksgiving.

Just not on the following 3 days. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Not going to worry about it, just 1 day.

I will be doing my workout though. ;)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I do my workout and my steps, but I eat whatever I want.

The next day I'm back at my deficit. It's all about balance.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I am planning to gain weight on Thanksgiving.

Just not on the following 3 days. :)

Hear hear! It's one day. Enjoy it!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My plan no alcohol or dessert. That's it folks. I will not deprive my self of any of the good stuff.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to gain weight in one day. Thanksgiving isn't why any of us gained weight, although some of us certainly gained weight from turning a couple of a days into a "holiday season" that lasts several weeks.

That said, I'm focusing my meal on my favorite dishes and skipping the stuff that doesn't mean as much to me. And I'm going to keep it to one meal, not spread it out over several days.

This, although I can totally see gaining weight in one day if you like drinking too...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This, although I can totally see gaining weight in one day if you like drinking too...

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder...I forgot to add beer & wine to my intended Thanksgiving intake list above!
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The only things I have to avoid are gluten and dairy for uh, gastrointestinal reasons. All my giant family are all bringing their own dishes, so I plan on bringing some safe versions of things I know I want to eat. But I'm not too worried about over eating, my appetite is a lot smaller than it used to be, and I don't really drink alcohol other than a glass of whiskey to sip on maybe once every few months.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    kellellie wrote: »
    The only things I have to avoid are gluten and dairy for uh, gastrointestinal reasons. All my giant family are all bringing their own dishes, so I plan on bringing some safe versions of things I know I want to eat. But I'm not too worried about over eating, my appetite is a lot smaller than it used to be, and I don't really drink alcohol other than a glass of whiskey to sip on maybe once every few months.

This is so true. Even when I go into a meal planning on eating everything, I simply can't eat like I used to. I feel full much faster and too many treats make me feel sick.

I'll probably be over maintenance, but not as much damage as I would have been able to do a few years ago.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    vmccray90 wrote: »
    What are your Thanksgiving tips for not gaining weight? I don't want to deprive myself of everything but I want to have a plan for moderation so I don't overeat and go backwards.

nobody got fat because of one meal on a special occasion...nobody got fat because of a handful of holidays or special occasions or random Saturday nights out on the town...it's those pesky other "normal" days that tend to do the damage.

the human body is actually really good at adapting to energy intake...it's natural tendency is to maintain the status quot...a day of over indulgence doesn't result in putting on a bunch of fat just like a day of underfeeding doesn't result in losing a bunch of fat...you have to consistently underfeed or overfeed to override your body's ability to adapt to energy consumption.

any weight one would gain in a day can be attributable to water and glycogen and more inherent waste in the system due to consuming more food.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just try to eat what you want and enjoy the holiday, it's just one day. :) drink lots of water, maybe try to put more veggies on your plate.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    It is one meal, on one day. One meal is not going to make or break your weight loss.

haha you're lucky! I have 3 dinners to go to and work in the morning so I need to eat something before that and then portion control the rest of the day.

Um my suggestion is just take a small spoonful of all the things you are interested in (unless there is something you KNOW you love and it will vanish, like my grandma's sweet potatoes and even then a moderate portion). Then after you savor every bite, go back for seconds of the things you actually liked. But keep the seconds small. Or in my case small spoonfuls and only one serving at each dinner. :/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's just one day. Last year, I was newly dieting and simply portioned everything out and was quite strict with myself. I worked out at the gym that morning and ate at deficit.

This year? Well, I've been eating at deficit for a year and I'm down 72 pounds. It's time for a diet break. I'll be eating at maintenance that day, which is more than enough to indulge on the day. I'll be running a Turkey Trot in the morning and going for a walk after the meal. We're also moving the next day, and you bet I'll be having left over maple cheesecake for breakfast.

The day is one to make choices. It's just a day. If you want to be good, eat mostly meat and plain veggies and just small tastes of the richer foods. Otherwise? It's just a day. Enjoy, and get right back on track the next day.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Will you be DEPRIVED if you don't pig out? No.

Plan and track your meal and day ahead of time. Thanksgiving can be done on a 1200 calorie day if you want to do make that happen.