Underarmor app overestimating??

Options
I've been using the underarmor ap for my exercise and feel it is a total overestimation.

For example - today it said I burned 386 calories for driving 80 golf balls in 45 minutes at the range.

I can't believe that. So I put in 100 in mfp diary.

Same with treadmill and elliptical readings - for an hour of walking ( about 3.5 Km) I'm getting 300+ calories?!

I'm underestimating to be safe, but anyone have any light to share?

F / 186 pounds / 36 y.o

Replies

• edptanner
    edptanner Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been suspicious about this for a while. About a year ago I was on here for a month. I faithfully logged every bite and every bit of exercise. I ate back the calories it says I burned. I didn't lose a single pound but maintained nicely. I am guessing that it was overestimating what I had burned. I got back on here and was looking at the habits of successful friends. It looks like they don't eat back the calories they burn, or only eat half. That is what I am going to start doing.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Start with eating half and adjust. They're high for some and right for others. It's trial and error.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Yes I am only eating 30-50pc depending how I think it's crediting me. But almost 400 calories for 45 min of driving range! I need to be doing more golf :) I don't believe it is that high.

Just wanted some thoughts from those who may have found various ways to test accuracy.
  • Expatmommy79
    Options
    Bump
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The only way to test it is by eating a certain percentage and evaluating your progress over a couple weeks and adjusting as needed. It's the only way regardless of what calculator or device you're using.
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    edptanner wrote: »
    I have been suspicious about this for a while. About a year ago I was on here for a month. I faithfully logged every bite and every bit of exercise. I ate back the calories it says I burned. I didn't lose a single pound but maintained nicely. I am guessing that it was overestimating what I had burned. I got back on here and was looking at the habits of successful friends. It looks like they don't eat back the calories they burn, or only eat half. That is what I am going to start doing.

You didn't lose a pound if you ate back your burnt calories cause you didn't eat at a caloric deflect which is why you maintained wait...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Yes I am only eating 30-50pc depending how I think it's crediting me. But almost 400 calories for 45 min of driving range! I need to be doing more golf :) I don't believe it is that high.

Just wanted some thoughts from those who may have found various ways to test accuracy.

I am not familiar with the app, but if you need to select the type of activity and you selected golfing I am guessing it would be for actual golfing, not a driving range. You know, walking the course carrying your golf bag. I could see that burning 200-300 calories in 45 minutes, maybe even 400 depending on how heavy a person is.
  • edptanner
    edptanner Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you go to other exercise calories burned websites you can see what they say and then decide which estimate you like best. That's what I have been doing. I found that MFP is about 200 calories higher when calculating a 10 min mile run at 45 minutes that the other websites.

Oh, and kerbeya1, I set my baseline of calories at 1,200 which was to lose 1 pound a week. So with or without exercise I should have been losing. The calories burned from exercise was just extra burned or extra I could "eat back" and still be at my 1,200 baseline (a deficit) to drop weight. Since I was eating probably 2 - 3 hundred calories back that I hadn't really burned, that put me at 1,500 calories and that is the amount I need for maintaining my weight. That is why I came to the conclusions I did. I hope that makes sense.
  • Expatmommy79
    Options

I am not familiar with the app, but if you need to select the type of activity and you selected golfing I am guessing it would be for actual golfing, not a driving range. You know, walking the course carrying your golf bag. I could see that burning 200-300 calories in 45 minutes, maybe even 400 depending on how heavy a person is.

The app has golfing practice and number of balls either driving, chipping, putting etc.

MFP doesn't have the same options to compare. I will check other online calculators for golf and compare thank you.