Green tea? Black tea? Ok, I know its good for me but which

Options
Which is best for me? And are the Lipton's & Arizona's worth it? Because I am big on Lipton's Diet Green Tea but, jus found out there is an ingredient called Aspartame which is a sweetner thats not good for the body if consumed in large quantities. Also concerning Lipton's, it doesn't state the antioxidant "EGCG" which is important. Can someone shed some light? Curious George wants the insight.

Replies

• ken7
    ken7 Posts: 46
    Options
    Which is best for me? And are the Lipton's & Arizona's worth it? Because I am big on Lipton's Diet Green Tea but, jus found out there is an ingredient called Aspartame which is a sweetner thats not good for the body if consumed in large quantities. Also concerning Lipton's, it doesn't state the antioxidant "EGCG" which is important. Can someone shed some light? Curious George wants the insight.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try brewing your own Green Tea.Then you can decide which to make AND how you sweeten it.There are alot of brands out there. Try whole Foods. I like to make a gallon of sun tea. Ive gotten used to drinking it with no sweetener. Its much more refreshing. Plus when you make it yourself you dont have to drink all those preservatives and crap that really alter the taste of fresh brewed tea. Sooo yummy!

Ps add alittle honey while its still warm and then poor over ice. mmmmmm.....
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Also, this is kind of amusing, if you look at the second ingredient in most premade teas, it will list high fructose corn syrup.....yeck!
  • wuzzi
    wuzzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also, this is kind of amusing, if you look at the second ingredient in most premade teas, it will list high fructose corn syrup.....yeck!

Exactly. That's what bites about those drinks...all that sugar. :noway:

Freshly made is definitely better. Stivia is a great natural sweetener (even better than Splenda).:heart: It works great with warm tea but seems to have a little trouble dissolving completely in cold tea. I would make sun tea like mydogmesa2 suggested and add the Stivia to it while in the sun. I also use Stivia to sweeten my oatmeal. You should check it out. I've only found it at Health Food type stores like Sunflower, Whole Foods and Wild Oats. :love:
  • markfloyd
    Options
    Green Tea is good for you and may be useful in weight loss. For convenience, I like to use the Lipton Green Tea Bags to make one cup at the time. I drink it hot and use Stevia or Pure Honey as a sweetener. PLEASE, try to stay away from artificial sweeteners. Pure Sugar is poison from a natural source and the artificial sweeteners are man made poisons. Neither need to be in your system. But, if you have to choose, go with Pure Sugar unless there is a medical reason for you not to use it. The Chinese Teas are higher in the active ingredient, EGCg, and have more of a full flavor. If you don't like strong Tea stay away from these. I order my Tea from Coffeebeandirect.com. There was a big deal about the Okinawan Tea and it's benefits. The Okinawan Tea is a green Jasmine Tea and wouldn't you know it, it's grown in China. It is very strong. If you order your Tea from this source it will be very fresh and you will need to order Tea Bags to put the fresh Tea into. You may even choose to use a blender to break the dried Tea leaves down to a smaller size. And back to the riginal question!! Although the Greens Teas may be better for you, try both for a variety. If you don't enjoy Tea or the hassle of making it there are Green Tea/EGCg products on the market in tablet form. Regardless of the the method you use, make green tea part of your daily intake every day.
  • ken7
    ken7 Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for your replies!!!
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Yup, green tea helps to speed up your metabolism, and a teeny tiny bit to burn fat as well, so it's a great choice. Try going natural, caffeine free, unless you really need that boost. Organic's best, try your local health food store. You should be able to find Stevia there, too, if you want it. :smile:
  • Zulzie
    Options
    hheyy..i drink the lipton green tea.. i tried the vital herbal green tea but find tht far too strong. i hav the lipton without any sweeteners and find it fine.. i heard its gr8 4 metabolism and helps ur body not 2 store as much fats
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Green tea, black tea, oolong, white, coffee (gasp!) all have benefits.

For dieting, green and oolong seem to have the most benefit.

I like Republic of Tea Pomegranate Green. I put a splash of pomegranate/cranberry (100% juice) in it for sweetener, though it doesn't need any.
    There's another green tea made locally here called beautiful coconut - this makes an awesome iced tea.

I would try the different flavors and see what you like best. Most of them taste good iced. If you need sweetener try honey, agave, or fruit juice.