Body image problems

I'm currently trying to lose weight. I was at 135 pounds 2 months ago, my heaviest weight. I am an 18 year old female, and I'm 5 foot I 5 inches. I was extremely unhappy with myself, so I decided to lose it. I am now around 123. I know this is a healthy weight, but I still hate my body. I know I could weigh less...
I think my stomach is too pudgy. I hate the pudge under my belly button. I know I'm small, but I don't have that nice bikini body. I know it's not healthy to look like a model, but I can't help wanting to look that way. I want to keep losing, but I'm conflicted.

Replies

• squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    If recommend weight lifting for a toned body rather than focusing on weight loss.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Don't confuse loosing weight with loosing fat. If you only focus on losing weight, you will be lighter, but still look soft and saggy. Focus on burning the fat instead, keeping the muscle is the key to having curves in the right places.
    As squeeeyk suggested, lift weights, heavy weights, do HIIT cardio, eat low carbs but high fat.
    Research "keto diet". Cheers
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    If you want to shape your body you need to become active: weights, swimming, yoga.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    You don't need to lose weight, you need to lift weights!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Stop trying to lose weight, find a sport you love and start exercising. If you are already into sports, then please talk to your coach about how you feel.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I agree with the other posters. You seem to want a more desirable physique but are already at a healthy weight , so I think weight lifting would help you a lot!
    Google stronglifts, or new rules of lifting for women.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    you don't have to lift specifically but you could work on building muscle. there are lots of ways to do that like convict conditions, you are your own gym, other body weight programs. I do aerial stuff to build muscle and flexibility
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If you are 5'5" and 123 pounds with a pudgy stomach, it's because you don't have much muscle mass. You likely have bad posture as well. Eat at maintenance or slightly above and lift weights. Losing weight is not going to give you a firm body. It's going to give you a skinnier and weaker version of what you have now.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Read this article jessi.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

jemhh is absolutely right, if you look at all pudgy at 5' 5" and 123lbs then you likely have very little muscle mass. You can actually eat/weigh a bit more AND look better (the toned/firm body you want) if you lift weights.
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    @jessikundrick I've been where you are, so sending you lots of compassionate hugs. The others have given you good advice, so I'll chip in from a different angle.

I've learned that no amount of weight loss ever made me happy, because there was always more weight to lose. It was a hard lesson to learn but in the end it helped me change the relationship I have with my body. Just something to think about.

Hang in there!