Ab wheel??? Anybody else use these things??

Options
Me a select few at the gym been doing these. I did 50 rollout belly to floor and up. On knees of course... then did 20 second set. I'm dieing now.
Some don't go parallel to floor but I do.. alllll the way dow . Tried a standing one got about 6 inches off floor bam fell down.. what do you guys do.. ever try this torture device

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hate them! Kudos to you :)
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Kills the back
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My (ex)brother-in-law gave one to me 25 years ago. It has been collecting dust for 24 years. My stomach still hurts from the last time I used it. :)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Really hurt my wrists.
  • veggieerp
    veggieerp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use it on my knees and go down about half way (45 degree angle) otherwise too much back strain.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I feel it in my back some, but it really gets the core working and I also feel it in my shoulders and arms! what a simple yet effective exercise
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you feel it in your back, you're doing it wrong. Look up some you tube videos on proper form. It's one of the best ab exercises out there.

This.

I always thought it was just a cheesy TV gimmick until I saw a number of very high level lifters (weightlifting and powerlifting) talking about how it was a great tool to have in your arsenal for your abs.

I don't use mine enough though.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I love my ab wheel! I feel it in my abs, and try to do as much as I can in two minutes. It's one of the exercises I look forward to do after my lifts.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it can be a great tool but proper form is essential
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have one I use at home. Definitely feel like it does something. At the gym I see guys doing barbell roll-outs, too.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have one at home but I haven't been able to use it without compromising my back. Mine is the cheap one with two thin wheels and the straight handles.
    My core is not strong enough to be able to maintain proper alignment and stabilize myself. A friend of mine has the "deluxe" one, with thicker wheel, softer rubber material and ergonomic handles. It provides better stabilization and less stress on the wrists. That's what I get for saving $6, lol.
  • uwouldluvme2
    uwouldluvme2 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do them twice a week but while in the sauna - for some reason it doesn't hurt as bad when doing them...but the next day I'm dying lol
  • Debbs83
    Debbs83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yup I use them at my gym! On my knees and I don't usually go all the way down. I don't believe my abs are strong enough for that yet. I go as far down as I can with a straight back. I usually feel it the next day when it hurts to laugh!
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yeah ours at gym is the cheapo... best bang for the buck makes it harder probably cause you have to stabilize yourself more
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I had been lifting for a few years already (squatting, pressing, etc.) and I decided to do this one day and my abs were sore for a little over 7 days; it was ridiculous. It's a mainstay in my training now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i do a variety of core workouts at the end of pretty much every workout (unless my wife is blowing my phone up to get my *kitten* home)...the ab wheel is one of them.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I own two, but don't use them on the account I have a bad bone spur in my right knee and they aggravate it -- but I love the contraction that they provide.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have still not tried one of these. Is there any difference between these things? When I look online, some have two wheels next to each other, some look like fat tires (off road ab wheels?), some have foot pedals. Are the $25 versions better than the $10 versions?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I like the simplest one to be honest, little wheel and two handles. There's that one that's made by a Navy SEAL supposidely but it sounds like it helps you cheat your way back up, dunno maybe it's good.