Insurance for excess skin

Options
Sadly. My weight hasn't buged much in 2015. Mostly my fault but I had gotten serious chest spasms which kept me out of the gym for a number of months.

Me weight usually sits between 315-285. I am 6'5". I've lost a lot. Was 562 in 2013.
I'm thinking about getting my chest and stomach done. My arms I dont mind, my legs are ok. I've been at this weight like almost a year now. Its stabilize. And I'm curious to see what I'd look like with this extra skin gone.

I live in Illinois. Its open enrollment for a lot of health insurances and I like to know what would be the best insurance to go thru so I dont have to pay 25k or more to get this procedure done. I'm very nervous and scared of doctors offices but this is something I want done. I just wanna look like s normal guy. Any suggestions I'm very open too. Thanks agsin.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The only things I can suggest are 1) talk to a doctor about it and 2) maybe get closer to goal weight (unless you're already there) before doing it, but that might be countermanded by what happens with 1).
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I do not believe the excess skin surgery will be covered by an insurance company unless you get a doctor to sign off saying that it is medically necessary. Otherwise, without the "doctor's note/rx", any insurance would chalk this type of surgery up to being cosmetic and it won't be covered. Really ask some of these questions to any insurance company that you think about going with.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would not get this done at this point. Unless you are very muscled, you are still not at your goal weight. Additionally, it takes a couple of years for your skin to shrink up as much as it is going too. Yes, you are going to have excess skin but you don't know how much at this point. It makes more sense to work on your health issues (chest spasms) and get to your goal weight before undertaking a major surgery like this.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to lose more bodyfat? If so, I would hold off on the skin surgery since you'll likely develop more loose skin. Give it time to shrink naturally and lose everything you want to, then get the surgery.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Good job on your loss! Unless the extra skin is causing you significant physical issues, like rashes that won't go away and are getting infected, it is unlikely that you will find any insurance company that will pay for your surgery. They consider it cosmetic. I went and saw 7 different surgeons & got estimates & then decided what was most important to me & started there.
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Lol I've always wanted to be nearly bone thin, but I get a lot of suggestions that say, stay at 240-260. My original goal was 275. I've came really close but then I got sick. I'm better now but I do want to get rid of it. It looks awful now, even though I guess its a huge improvement from before =\.

Ii dont really get sores, but it is an inconvenience to wash in the shower now and then. I'm really an extra large to 2XL but with the skin it kinda does hang a bit so I'm a 2X-3XLT
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    i see mine as well deserved battle scars on a war i am winning.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor can convince them the skin removal is necessary medically, no insurance company will cover it cosmetically.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Excess skin after significant weight loss is a common problem. I often point to this video to illustrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpKDteQ3FIQ

Here in Canada under public health care, some skin removal is typically covered, as the excess folds of skin can be difficult to keep clean. Believe me, our public insurance group is very conservative about things like that. I have seen cases even in the United States where insurers have covered this sort of skin removal. I'm sorry I can't give any experience on which insurer would be better. I think you would have to investigate each one.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Wait until you're done losing. How much would it suck to go through all the trouble of surgery only to lose more weight and end up with loose skin?! It would suck a lot. Wait until you're done. Then get it all removed, if you want.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just want to be clear that I don't think there is anything at all wrong with wanting to have the excess skin removed. I will likely have some, though to a lesser degree, and if I could be rid of it I absolutely would. I just think it would be better to wait until you are at your final goal, which it doesn't seem like you are. You have come a long way, a really long way, and that is absolutely fantastic. I'm sure it's hard at this point to be so much closer to being *there* but still have the skin issues. I'm at the point of utter impatience with wanting to see the "final" me and I haven't had to put in as much work as you have. Good work, OP :)
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I just want to be clear that I don't think there is anything at all wrong with wanting to have the excess skin removed. I will likely have some, though to a lesser degree, and if I could be rid of it I absolutely would. I just think it would be better to wait until you are at your final goal, which it doesn't seem like you are. You have come a long way, a really long way, and that is absolutely fantastic. I'm sure it's hard at this point to be so much closer to being *there* but still have the skin issues. I'm at the point of utter impatience with wanting to see the "final" me and I haven't had to put in as much work as you have. Good work, OP :)

Thanks man I appreciate it. I'm honestly burnt out. I can't seem to get under 280 but I'm trying my best. I do like to lose more but its tough to stay discipline.

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you can't get and maintain a healthy bmi in the first place, and you aren't having medical issues it's probably not going to be covered (and shouldn't, it's a cosmetic procedure. I don't expect anyone to pay for new boobs that I want!). You are still well in an obese bmi I can't see this being covered for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Canadians can get breast reduction surgery, as it can become a back issue. There is a cosmetic component but there's also the person's quality of life. My girlfriend survived breast cancer (stage three) fifteen years ago. She qualified for cosmetic repair last year and the surgeon reduced her surviving breast and reconstructed the other. Very soon after surgery, nagging back problems went away. Was this cosmetic or medically necessary?
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    JVClubs wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

Thanks man I appreciate it. I'm honestly burnt out. I can't seem to get under 280 but I'm trying my best. I do like to lose more but its tough to stay discipline.

It's tough, but you can do it. What are your goals set at? You don't need to exercise to lose, just eat fewer calories than you expend. So, with that in mind, maybe just set a shallow loss goal. Say a 250-500 calorie deficit. Just make sure to weigh your food on a scale and it gets easier.

I'm 6'3" (or 4, not sure), and I'm tipping in at about 243 right now. I'll tell you what, being able to walk into the mall and buy well fitting clothes from any store is well worth the struggle. :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Canadians can get breast reduction surgery, as it can become a back issue. There is a cosmetic component but there's also the person's quality of life. My girlfriend survived breast cancer (stage three) fifteen years ago. She qualified for cosmetic repair last year and the surgeon reduced her surviving breast and reconstructed the other. Very soon after surgery, nagging back problems went away. Was this cosmetic or medically necessary?

I had a reduction due to back pain and general discomfort and it was fully covered by my insurance here in the US. If there is any discomfort, even minor, it's usually considered medical necessity. Of course I am thrilled with the cosmetic aspect if it.
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First off - congratulations on the significant accomplishment you've achieved. 260+ in a couple of years is a significant accomplishment that proves "you got it". I agree that unless the excess skin is causing infections, etc. it will probably not be deemed medically necessary and thus not be covered under insurance. As hard as it would be, I would also support the advice others have given to get to your ultimate goal weight and maintain there for a period of time that will allow your skin to shrink as much as it will before getting any procedure done. I think you should pick the weight that you think is healthy and right for you vs. what others say.

Skin removal surgery is a very significant procedure and you want to minimize any work to be done. You can research several case studies at realself.com to see how significant the procedures are. Get advice from a few surgeons as well before making a final call.

Good luck! You've accomplished an extremely significant achievement already - the sky is the limit for you.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Amazing work :)

I'm not the US so can't speak to the insurance issue, but I wonder whether if you saw a doc now, and developed a relationship with them through your continuing weight loss, you might have an ally down the line...

I also think saving money now for any procedure/s you might choose to do would a good idea. I don't know if you can get to 25 000 in two years, but maybe you can get part of the way, and get some advice on investing it somehow? Maybe that could be part of your motivation... (In addition to lack of familiarity with US healthcare & insurance, I have no idea about financial planning :/ so can't help with that.)

I've seen a few people post about this issue. It's a shame there isn't more help available for this. It would be great if the kinds of incredible lifestyle changes you've already made were rewarded. You're saving your health care system money down the line :/ It's probably about the same cost as weight loss surgery :/

Agree that the chest spasms need to be looked asap if they haven't been, though. Don't ignore that.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You've done a wonderful job, losing so much weight and coming so far. But you're so close to getting all the way there! Don't stop now. Just give it more time, stick with the work. Once you get to goal weight, you'll need to maintain, because if you do have the surgery to repair your skin, you don't want to gain weight and stretch it out again. You want to be sure that the maintenance is so much a part of your routine that it's just what you do.

As far as the surgery itself, most plastic surgeons will give you information about CareCredit, which is a company that finances cosmetic surgery. So you don't have to come up with all of the money, but if you have some saved up, it will definitely help. Work on that while you're losing the rest of the weight.