I'm under my calorie goal...

Options
..is this a bad thing? I've been on MFP for about 6 days and at least 5 days I've been under my calorie goal. Am I setting myself up for failure? Thanks guys.

Replies

• uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd say being under the calorie goal is better than being over. I hardly ever eat all of the calories suggested, but I am never that far off. As long as you are not eating to few calories on a daily basis, I think you should be just fine.
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks Unique. I was beginning to worry about that. Thanks for the feedback.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    My general rule is if I don't exercise that day, I stay within 100 calories (on a good day, that is! LOL)
    If I exercise, I eat at least 1/2 back (sometimes I earn like 1200 calories...)
    So, as long as you are close.
    When you are first starting out, or if you are more in the obese range, rather than the overweight range, you have a little more wiggle room.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It depends on your calorie goal. Don't eat under 1200. That will make your body hold onto everything you eat to prevent itself from starving. Then you can gain weight instead of lose. As long as you are eating that minimum amount, I'd say you're fine.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Never dip below 1200, but often times I was off too, especially on big calorie burning days -- some days I ate it back, and some days I left it alone.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As long as you're close, you should be fine. WIthin around 100-150 up or down I'd say you're fine(:
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Today I've finished logging with over 1200 calories under my goal... this however reflects exercise for minus 1100 calories. I'm usually under my goal sometimes by a good margin but this is because of exercise, I don't tend to eat much of what I gain on the exercise. From my last two weeks I was over my goal twice (152 calories and another time for 37 calories), the rest of the days I've been under, mostly close to the goal but many days under by 500+ too.
  • SummerLuvR
    SummerLuvR Posts: 90
    Options
    I started 11 days ago and have been under everyday but one. I have a lot of weight (100+) to lose and my calorie allowance is so high that I am only close(within 300 cals) on the days I haven't exercised. The days I exercise I get huge calorie allowances. I am really liking this way. I am eating a whole lot healthier and I haven't beat myself up over going over a tiny calorie budget. I love this site :) BTW I have lost 9 lbs. I think as long as you aren't starving or eating less then 1200 cals then you are doing good. I am letting my body be my guide. I love this site :))
    Keep up the great job!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've been under every day too. One day I was way under as I played 4 hours of tennis and some other things. I'm pretty close most days unless I exercise a lot, but I have not been hungry at all. I have been drinking at least 8-9 glasses of water or chrystal light iced tea which I think helps! :smile:
  • Dance98
    Dance98 Posts: 3
    Options
    Everyday I'm under my calorie goal, but as long as i'm not hungary i say its fine
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Options
    MFP's required calorie intake is a minimum 1200. They figure we can not get all our nutrients with less than 1200 calories/day.:flowerforyou:
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback. You guys have a great and healthy evening.