What vegetables do you like?

Options
lettuce (romaine and spinach)
carrots
celery
cucumbers

I am looking to add more vegetables to my diet... I am willing to give almost anything a shot but I am a somewhat picky eater.

What do you think?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've had a vegetable that I didn't like....

my household staples are:

broccoli
    green beans
    cabbage
    greens
    cucumber
    asparagus
    brussels sprouts
    carrots
    peas

I like broccoli steamed or roasted...green beans blanched...cabbage sauteed or raw on a salad...sauteed greens...cucumber raw...asparagus roasted or sauteed...brussels sprouts roasted...carrots roasted, raw, or in soups and stews...peas blanched.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cucumbers, sugar snap peas, asparagus, fresh spinach-no cooking, ew. green beans
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you like carrots.....look for parsnips. The 2 are closely related (look for "white" carrots).

Bok Choy (Chinese celery) has a mild flavor, and no strings.

Fresh green beans vs. canned. No contest....fresh wins. Steam these until "almost" tender, add salt & butter. Yum!

Cauliflower (related to broccoli) has a very mild flavor. Roasted is delicious.

I love snap peas or snow peas. I can eat these raw.

Anyway, different cooking methods will open you up to different flavors. I hate boiled Brussels sprouts, but roasted ones are yummy.
  • pdwyer569
    pdwyer569 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    spinach, kale, asparagus, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumber, lettuces, bell peppers, onions

Don't forget your fruits, though. :)

Avocados, bananas, tons of berries (blueberry, raspberry...etc) are some of my fruit staples as well.

Hope you find some new veggies you like! :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any.

I found the vegetables I HATED as a kid (brussels sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, etc), I now love as an adult. Why? Because my mom would always overcook the hell out of them and they would taste nasty. I cook them the way they're supposed to be cooked and they taste great.
  • Buckeye_Dave
    Buckeye_Dave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas, especially raw. My favorite by a mile....
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    what grocery store can you find parsnips and boo choy? Thanks for the thoughts.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I love love love vegetables.

There have been a few chinese mustards that I don't love.
    And if they aren't prepared well, they aren't tasty.

Staples in my diet:
    kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, artichokes, asparagus
    romaine lettuce, butter lettuce,

and then green beans, snap peas, legumes (depending on your definition)

I love fermented vegetables too!

Today's lunch is a cream of broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts made with soy milk casserole that hubs threw together. While we didn't have any, it would be fabulous with some andouille sausage, or ham thrown in.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm currently wild about butternut squash soup because it's so filling and delicious.

I also love spaghetti squash, cut in half (seeds scraped out), brushed with olive oil, salt & pepper and roasted in a 400 oven for about 40 minutes. You scrape the squash out in strands and they make a great base for sauces. Or you can then mix the spaghetti squash with black beans, lime, cilantro, rice & chipotles and stuff the shells, return to the oven and bake until hot. (Or just stuff it with anything you enjoy - could go in a different direction and mix the squash with Parmesan cheese and nuts...)

Roasted cauliflower = delicious.

Red pepper strips cut & dipped in Ranch dressing.

Green beans boiled until crisp-tender and dressed with butter & lime juice.

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love just about all vegetables...as long as they're roasted. Roasted cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, zucchini, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, spaghetti squash.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    what grocery store can you find parsnips and boo choy? Thanks for the thoughts.

I find these a lot of places. Wal-Mart even. Parsnips are the harder of the two to find.

Look for the parsnips (in a plastic bag like carrots) by other miscellaneous root vegetables......beets, rutabaga, kohlrabi, and so on.

Look for Bok Choy by the Chinese veggies....if you find Napa cabbage, fresh bean sprouts, or shiitaki mushrooms you are in the right area.
  • Stop1510
    Stop1510 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like most veggies too but I don't really fix them. Just to try and get some in my diet I have been buying bags of the vegetable medley at Wal-Mart, which is baby carrots, broccoli florets, and cauliflower florets. I use nonfat plain Greek yogurt mixed with the powdered Hidden Valley Greek Yogurt Dip mix as a dip so it's a pretty filling snack.
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots
    Raw celery
    Romaine lettuce
    Sweet potato
    Raw spinach
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The only vegetable that I don't like is red beets. Ever since I was a kid. They just taste like dirt to me. I try them often. I really want to like them because they are so pretty.

• Stop1510
    Stop1510 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @bri170lb try them cut in half and sprinkled with cinnamon and put a little bit of honey on each half then bake them cut side down for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Also, the greens are yummy steamed.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Stop1510 wrote: »
    @bri170lb try them cut in half and sprinkled with cinnamon and put a little bit of honey on each half then bake them cut side down for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Also, the greens are yummy steamed.

Last time I made beets (yum!) I boiled them. Good, but kind of a pain. I will try roasted beets next time. Root veggies are great roasted...shoulda known.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It's easier to name the ones I don't like:
    -onions
    -raw tomatoes
    -brussels sprouts
    -raw mushroom
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I'm like Julie above, love most veggies...only exception would be mushrooms (which I HATE!), artichokes and eggplant, and I could probably be persuaded to eat eggplant if someone made it for me, and knew what they were doing...lol.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've gotten really into cauliflower after not really caring for it for awhile. I like it as is or I also buy the Birds Eye steamer bags of buffalo cauliflower, and what's not good covered in buffalo sauce? You can also kind of "hide" cauliflower in things or in different preparations like pulsing it in a food processor and making it into cauliflower "rice" or adding it to mashed potatoes.

I know squash is technically a fruit but it's also versatile and delicious and healthy... my favorites are butternut, spaghetti and pumpkin.

I also sneak spinach into a lot of things, and really like it in smoothies. They look weird but taste delicious.

You don't have to like every veggie but it helps finding a few more you don't mind at least!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Pretty much all of them. I can't think of any I don't like right now, although some are better than others. (I like eggplant, but I agree it needs to be prepared well and that can be challenging until you learn some things to do with it that you like, and ideally that don't require tons of oil or cheese, of course.)

I try to eat seasonally when possible, but we are entering the time when it's not. At the moment I eat lots of broccoli and cauliflower, zucchini and yellow squash, green beans, brussels sprouts, and whatever else looks good, as well as lots of greens (spinach, kale, chard, mustard and beet greens, collards, and lots of Asian greens, among others) -- I tend to have a broccoli and spinach omelet for breakfast a lot, although I try to vary it up with zucchini and kale or whatever. For more seasonal things, at the moment that means lots of winter squash of various sorts and root vegetables (celeriac, turnips, carrots, parsnips, etc.). I also really like leeks and fennel.

Ooh, should have mentioned beets. (I need to not edit after reading other posts, as I'm sure there are many other favorites I forgot too. Seriously, OP, try different ones and experiment with a good vegetable cookbook or explore a site like 101cookbooks.com for ideas.)