Posture?

I have awful posture and I was wondering what specific exercises I could do to perhaps work on fixing that?

keep in mind Im pretty obese so nothing to overly complicated for now. anything is helpful (:

Replies

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    I recently found a really good, low-impact yoga class, and it has done wonders for me.

When you don't use your body to its full range of motion, your connective tissues tighten up, which then makes it more difficult to go through that range of motion. Further, our bodies are comprised of lots of muscles that work to stabilize and support us, and without use these get weak. Whether bad posture is due to injury or simply slouching, our bodies actually adapt to keep us doing what we're doing, even though it's not healthy.

A good, low impact yoga program will get you to start extending your range of motion and to start rebuilding those stabilizing muscles. Through simple stretching and holding poses that put very moderate strain on your body, you get looser and stronger.

I'd recommend a qualified teacher over trying to only stretch yourself because you CAN stumble into injury territory if you over do it, or if you don't get your body lined up in good ways - for instance, turning your foot the wrong way while walking or standing can put gradual strain on the knee and, over time, can lead to injury. A good teacher will correct your posture gradually to get you on track.

Good journey to health and wellness!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Perhaps some modified yoga work. Cat/cow etc. try plank on your knees.
  • AbiBain
    AbiBain Posts: 29 Member
    If you're rolling your shoulders forward then try using a backpack instead of a hand bag and keep the straps snug. It more gets you into the habit of keeping your shoulders back that exercises them. If you pack a little weight in there then it'll give you some exercise too but be careful not to overload yourself. Also wear shoes that give you decent support so you stand straight, it can really help. It'll mean you can walk further, which is good. Hope that helps. :)
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
    Here are a few ideas. Google "Forward Head Posture" to check out exercises posted by chiropractor. Have a doorway or some empty wall space available.

Strengthen glutes, core , shoulders and back. Bridges and Bird Dogs (done on floor) help.

Practice good posture everywear, shoulders back, chest high. Use a lumbar support when seated. Keep the "S" curve in the back, resist the urge to tuck the tailbone in.

Lift your book or device higher so head stays up instead of bending down and forward. Adjust computer screen to proper distance and height.

There's an electronic devise, on the market that "reminds" the wearer to resume good posture. I haven't tried it, i think it's called lumolift.

Happy journey, modifying old habits takes determunation. Besides the health benefit, good posture projects confidence to those around you.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    I have significantly improved my posture by strengthening my hips, shoulders and abdominal muscles. I was given some exercises by my physical therapist to help. I started with resistance bands to do pull downs and rows with the arms. I did clam shells, side steps, and side steps on stairs to strengthen hips. I did modified crunches for abs. I have since progressed from this but it was a great place to start.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I tried yoga when I weighed 250 and I tipped over. I like yoga - now - and think it's wonderful for the body and soul, but if you decide that you're too fat for it...I get that!

Stretching is great. Walking around with a book balanced on your head doesn't hurt. Stand up straight, lift your shoulders...just like mom always said. :)

Fat makes good posture difficult, especially if you have big girls. As you lose, you'll probably find that good posture is easier and comes fairly naturally. :)
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    My issue was my belly pulling my center of gravity forward, causing pain in my hips, lower back, and glutes. What helped me the most was the gravity drop stretch. You stand on the edge of a stair or step stool with the balls of your feet and let your heels drop down (wearing good shoes with grip helps). Try to get your head, hips, and heels lined up straight and just let gravity do the work. I do this every morning and hold for about three minutes, and can feel my hips slowly adjust. It has done wonders for my posture and my lower back and hip pain is almost non-existent.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I tried yoga when I weighed 250 and I tipped over. I like yoga - now - and think it's wonderful for the body and soul, but if you decide that you're too fat for it...I get that!

Had to laugh--I started doing yoga at about 230, and now I'm at 197, but I still find myself "tipping over" some days! That's the way it goes.

Yoga has been marvelous for my posture and flexibility. It's really improved how I sit at work and at the dinner table; if I slouch or droop I get very sore quickly and find myself straightening thoughtlessly to relieve it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Another vote for yoga. Look for a Gentle, Beginner, or Restorative class.

You could also try rolfing if you have the money and the pain tolerance for it. I happened to love it, but I am weird like that.

Do check in with your doctor - there may be an underlying medical reason for this which should be treated.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    A lot of great suggestions here. Something else I find that helps my posture is a weekly deep tissue massage- not a fluff and buff but deep. You'll be sore the next day but it eases tightness and tension that can have a negative impact on posture. I really notice a difference if I skip a few weeks consecutively.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    A lot of great suggestions here. Something else I find that helps my posture is a weekly deep tissue massage- not a fluff and buff but deep. You'll be sore the next day but it eases tightness and tension that can have a negative impact on posture. I really notice a difference if I skip a few weeks consecutively.

I second the massage suggestion! I don't go every week (maybe once a month, more often if I'm in pain), but it really helps to release the super contracted stabilizing muscles. Just remember to drink lots of water!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    My posture was horrible with back pain until I started doing workouts that specifically target the core.

Also, yoga.