Anyone save calories for splurges?

Options
I'm on a 1200 calorie limit right now. I have a Fitbit and only eat back half of the exercise calories I earn if I absolutely need it. I was wondering if I could bank some exercise calories to use later in the week. Kind of like weight watchers does with its weekly allowance points. If it keeps me under my weekly totals. Like if I earn 200 extra calories a day for 6 days through exercise, that would be 1200 extra calories for a special splurge once a week. Or use half of it anyway. Just as long as my weekly totals are at the same deficit
Does that make any sense? Kind of like I could exercise and save up for a treat on the weekend? Any thoughts?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Yes, many folks follow their weekly total for just this reason.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    I do it all the time! I'm saving up for Friday, I have a friend taking a licensing exam and she wants to get drinks after to celebrate.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    *edited*I do the opposite same... if I know an unusually calorific nite is coming, instead of "saving" or "banking" calories, I do a good amount more cardio the two nites before. Same idea, different end is my thinking...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Of course you can "bank" calories. I do a zig-zag diet that gives me extra calories for the weekend (I eat at maintenance Saturday & Sunday).

Unless you are really petite 1200 (before exercise....that's MFP's lowest default).....may be a fairly low number for you already.

Many people bank calories in the form of a "cheat meal." Just make sure your splurge doesn't turn into a whole day affair.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I definitely do that if I know I'll be drinking on the weekend, but since I don't count exercise calories I just go 100 under my calorie goal everyday to use for that day of splurge. 1200 seems really low to me unless you're like super tiny, I'm 5'4" (so I guess average height?) and my nutritionist won't let me go under 1500.
  • rs050711
    rs050711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do it. There is no way I could eat the same exact amount of calories every day, I'd go crazy. I usually aim for 1,200 Mon-Thurs and then 1,800-2,300 on weekends, depending on how much I've exercised that week (I eat back 1/2 of exercise cals). I try to average out weekly at around 1,600 calories.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Yes I bank calories and do extra workouts as well and save those up for a special day or even just the weekends.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,616 Member
    Options
    I don't normally. Things come up (like free food at work) and I either just eat at maintenance for that day or cut out something I'd normally eat at night. Except......

We have a client who is supposedly bringing us cronuts this week so I've been shaving off 100 calories a day in preparation for it (he probably won't even stop by and bring them :)).
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" small bones female. And can't really workout at the moment because I'm laid up with a foot injury. I hobble around in my walking boot so my Fitbit is saying anywhere from 2000-2200 calories a day. Sometimes I only burn 1800. So while it is low, I'm not doing much exercise at all!! 1436 is a 20% deficit of my TDEE so I'm trying to keep my daily at 1200 (which is what MFP set for me) and save extra calories for weekends or cocktail here or there. And sometimes a gal needs a piece of chocolate!
  • algrif37
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. I didn't realize I could go by a weekly total/deficit without messing myself up
  • algrif37
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention. I have hashimotos. On medication and monitored but it's hard to take any weight off at all. Hence the 1200.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I live on banked calories..i save at least 200 calories a say because I eat and drink heavily on my weekends...not saying it's super healthy but it's the only way I avoid undone progress when the weekend comes.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    This is totally okay! Many of us do this :)
    I use my banked calories for my indulgent weekends and it's worked really well for me.