Bringing down Calories without hunger

Options
MichaelRobinson1994
MichaelRobinson1994 Posts: 83 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,

As things stand, I'm following 5x5 stronglifts and have been for a while, but I only began logging my food on here a few days ago, and as things stand i'm eating (or trying to eat) 2400ish calories a day for recovery and to help with building some muscle.

After the New year, i'm planning on going on a cut to lose some excess body fat, following a calculator on iifym, it's estimated that I should be eating between 1700-1800 calories a day, 15-20% below my TDEE for fat loss. I'm just wondering how I should bring my calories down to that level without leaving myself starving!

i'm already hungry a lot as it is eating 2400 calories!

iifym recommendations for my Macros are:

Carbs: 168
Fat: 67
Protein:134
Caloires: 1817

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Looking through my Diary, I'm actually only eating around 2100 calories a day as things stand

Replies

• PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fruits an veggies, lots and lots of fruit and veggies. I can have a giant (to me) salad that tastes good and helps fill me up for only 130-180 calories, so maybe start there and see what works for you? "Denser" veggies might work too, like asparagus or potatoes that might keep you fuller longer than something lighter.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm eating more broccoli at lunch now - 100 g / 3.5 ounces, because when I do that I stay fuller longer for not many calories at all.

When I pair a few ounces of apple with 1/2 ounce each nuts and cheese, I have a very satisfying snack.

If adding fiber doesn't work, maybe try upping fat - I also find fat very filling.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Protein, fat and fiber are all filling. But it's slightly different for everyone. A 130-180 calorie salad isn't going to cut it for me.....that's just fiber. A very low fat chicken breast.....I'm hungry a short time later.

I find I need protein and fat.....or fiber and fat. Combinations work for me, but you will have to experiment a little.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Bulk bulk bulk. In addition to lots and lots of veggies and salads to add volume without adding a lot of calories, I love broth- based or tomato-based high water content SOUP. I can eat a can of diced tomatoes with 1 can of water, and then some spinach and mushrooms added and it really makes me feel FULL. I regularly will make a 2-quart (e.g., medium saucepan size) pot of soup that is either tomato or chicken broth based, add whatever veggies I have on hand (I'm in a real bok choy and napa cabbage kick right now. . . ) and maybe some shiritake miracle noodles. It makes like 4 big bowls full, and yet the whole pot will have less than 300 calories. Very satisfying!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I second the veggie suggestions. Especially broccoli is good for filling up. You can also fit in a lot of pieces of celery, cucumber and carrots for very few calories.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I find lean protein very filling, and beans and potatoes (not loaded with fat).

I'm also reducing my calories, and what is helping me is just reducing my portions of what I normally eat. Instead of a full portion of cottage cheese, I might do 1/2 or 3/4 portion. Things like this of shaving off calories here and there really adds up, and I don't notice much difference between eating a smaller portion of what I was going to eat vs. my usual portion.
  • cap3737
    cap3737 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat more often have at a lesser rate of calories. Basically burn as you go. That way you always feel comfortable not hungry and not overly full. It should help you drop weight dramatically. Another little trick is hard-boiled eggs no salt. Chew them slow and well. You will be Surprised how full you feel.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    All of the above, plus lower your calories gradually. For a few weeks each week drop 50-100 cals from your daily goal.
    ie: wk 1, 2400; wk 2, 2300; wk3, 2200, etc until you are at your cut allowance.

It is much easier on the body and mind.

Good approach in reverse too.

Cheers, h.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut by more than 10%, personally, with 14 pounds to lose, especially if you're already hungry.

Then focus on protein, fat, fiber, and limit non filling carbs like bread. What works the best for me is a good combination of those at pretty much every meal.