My Fitness Pal Premium: To do or Not to Do?

Options
Hey all,

I've been on MFP for quite some time, and I've loved everything about it. It's helped me keep on track and reach goals, and served as a real reminder to try to live a healthier life. The community is great, and the exercise and nutrition tracking has been amazing.

I've been thinking about upgrading to MFP premium, and I was curious to know if anyone has done so, if they felt it was worth it, and what the biggest pros (and negatives?) of going premium were? Looking forward to hearing back from y'all!

Cheers,

James

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I track my micros and it's it's benefitted me. I had no idea how little of some nutrients I ingested...on a regular basis, I was way under on some of them. So, I've worked on that!

I vote yea IF you're really interested in that sort of thing. If you don't care much, there's no point. Only you can decide that.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I was able to enter my macros in grams instead of percentages. Now I don't have to keep doing math all day. For that alone it was worth the price.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Do you want to have greater control on your macros (by gram instead of %) or have different calorie goals each day?

If not, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade because NOTHING else is different except no ads, and you can get that with an ad blocker.

It's a fair whack of money for very little (and specific) upgrades.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I'll save my money and stick with the free MFP.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Being able to handle my macros in grams instead of percentages was worth the 14c a day. The other features are just a bonus.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I would love to support MFP but the price is not inline with other sites I already support. I pay less than this for my password vault, Endomondo, and a couple home theater forums combined. The paid version just doesn't add 'that' much value.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No chance I would pay. Too many issues on that app, with the forums, and the food database.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I was able to enter my macros in grams instead of percentages. Now I don't have to keep doing math all day. For that alone it was worth the price.

you could just use My Macros+.. its free and designed for those who track macros
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

you could just use My Macros+.. its free and designed for those who track macros

Only if you have an iPhone. For less than $60 AUD a year, it's fine. That's less than one dinner out for two.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

Only if you have an iPhone. For less than $60 AUD a year, it's fine. That's less than one dinner out for two.

MyNetDiary is the Android equivalent
  • James_Bergin
    James_Bergin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback, looks like I need to do some thinking about whether the added features are worth the money. That being said, its not a huge whack of money, and as I've said MFP has been good for me so in a way, I would like to support the app a bit.

Anyway, I guess I'll dig some more and wait while before making my choice. Thanks again!

Cheers,

James
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If they fixed bugs in a reasonable time, I might consider it, but let's be real... 20 copies of 'honey' verified recipes, buggy entries that default back to the default value when you log them... not spending money on a buggy product.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Not to mention page after page of page of spam every morning.