Anybody embarassed to admit they are trying to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• MissMinor1
    MissMinor1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! You're not alone!
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I actually never told anyone that I was losing weight for the same reasons. I've now lost 31kg (68lbs) and people definitely noticed so I just acknowledge it when people notice. It's not something that I felt the need to bring up on my own.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It's very embarrassing.

I definitely don't talk about, and if it's brought up, I change the subject.

If you don't want to put up a picture on MFP, don't put up a picture. This is the internet, everything you put up will stay up, so think twice about putting anything up.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. It is nice to know I'm not alone and it is also nice for the reminder that I should be proud of this journey I'm headed on. I've tried MFP before, but only used it for calorie counting. I haven't used the friend network or engaged in discussions before and I think since I am so private about this subject, this is a great way for me to have discussions and to get support. I love hearing perspectives from a variety of people. Those who are starting out like me, those who have come so far, and those who have met their goals, those who have learned to love their bodies and those who have not yet.
    Another thing that embarasses me is 6 years ago I ran 2 marathons and 2 1/2 marathons in one year..... I'm proud that I was able to do that, but if I ever tell somebody new I immediately see their eyes check out my body in disbelief. Oh well...... it's a process and I'll get there again.
  • ReflectivePhase
    ReflectivePhase Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    before I started, yes but now during my journey I'm happy to tell anyone how much I've lost and I'm proud to be on my way to a fitter and healthier me.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I've had moments of extreme embarrassment...especially when I think someone is bigger than me and find out I weight a lot more than they do. Or my mother tells random strangers that I'm on a diet (I'm married and 25 for Pete's sake...WHY???) I feel braver on here though because there are so many other people just like me who are trying to lose weight. I feel more confident in telling people my starting weight, my current weight, my goal weight even with my picture on here. I might be that brave to do in my everyday life, but on here it's different.
  • ultrafitnessgirl
    Options
    If you decide that you want to better yourself then it is amazing. Just believe in yourself. I know you can be successful if you put your mind to it.
  • amandanicole90a
    amandanicole90a Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    brillmer87 wrote: »
    There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Accepting the fact that you want to better yourself and live a happier and healthier lifestyle is something to embrace and be proud of. Not the other way around. :)

Exactly this!!!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have found MFP to be one of the most accepting and supportive communities I have ever came across. This has seriously been one of the best things to ever happen to me, so please don't feel ashamed around us! Everyone here has been so welcoming and inspiring, so just try to at least open up to us - it's what this is for. We are here to motive - not judge! Feel free to add me if you need a friend. :)

Best wishes! xoxo
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,526 Member
    Options
    There's not enough time in life to waste it being embarrassed.