Protein Bars recipes?

Options
cajunblu
cajunblu Posts: 5 Member
Hi all,

I am having trouble finding a good lower calorie protein bar to make. I thought I had found a good one until I imported the recipe and it came out to a whopper of 320 cals per bar. (1/12th of a 9X9 pan)

My store bought Vector bars are only 170cal for approx the same size. Any ideas?

Replies

• jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    I made a no-bake protein bar once homemade off a website called cookiesandcups.com. it has peanut butter,honey and oats in it and I thought they turned out pretty good. It wasn't too high in calories either.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    They came out to be Only 97 calories per bar
  • KitCat_87
    KitCat_87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    These are REALLY amazing and you can do variations. Under 200 calories

http://beautyandbedlam.com/easy-no-bake-peanut-butter-protein-bars/
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My husband and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Alton Brown's protein bar recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe.html

167 calories, as written, but of course, you should use Recipe Builder to log your actual ingredients.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The vitafiber bars are good but I still question how healthy of a product it is
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I developed:
    Over low heat, mix 1/4 cup natural peanut butter with 1/4 cup local honey, set aside.
    Put 1 cup of prunes in a food processor and blend until it forms a ball, put in large bowl. To the bowl, add 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup roughly chopped almonds, 3/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut and mix all together with your hands. Add pb and honey mixture and blend thoroughly with your hands. Put into 9x9 pan which is lined with parchment paper and spread out evenly. Place another 9x9 pan on top and press down as hard as possible to compact the mixture. Put into the freezer for 15 minutes, remove and cut into 18 bars. Store covered in refrigerator. 135 calories per bar.
    You can use figs or dates also, but prunes are lower in sugar so I use them. You can also add chocolate chips, dried cranberries or any other dried fruits.
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a good protein bar recipe without nuts or peanut butter? I'd love to make ones that the kids can take to school!
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a good protein bar recipe without nuts or peanut butter? I'd love to make ones that the kids can take to school!

The link I posted is 100% nut free! :)
  • AnnaSapphy
    AnnaSapphy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make protein bars out of diff flavours of Special K and Vector cereals, protein shake powder and marshmallows, like you would make Rice Krispie squares. The marshmallow blends the protein powder well, and fulfills any sweet craving you might have, providing about 5g of protein per bar, at half the calories of pre-packaged bars.

For instance, you can use Special K or Vector, plus protein powder of your choice, a little dash of flavoured extract, and melted marshmallows. I omitted the margarine, as there's no real need for it.

Melt mini marshmallows in large casserole dish in microwave til expanded/liquidy. Add 3-4 scoops of protein powder, mix quickly till blended. Add extract and work in the cereal.

Makes about 18-20 bars 1" x 4" @ about 80cal each. Very cost effective and fits perfectly into snack-sized ziplocs. I made ones with the Vanilla Almond Special K & vanilla extract, but you could make plain vanilla, chocolate (chocolate protein powder), berry (Special K Red Berries or berry protein powder), as well as trying different extracts, like lemon, orange, mint, banana or even rum.

I'm going to try chocolate orange next!!