Figure skating

suzannekatherine
suzannekatherine Posts: 22 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm currently in the maintenance phase of a long running push towards overall fitness. The fitness part, however, I am not as good at as the diet part. I'm not a big fan of exercise just for the sake of it because I get bored. Although sometimes I do crave a good run.

I was just curious, though about the differences in the way I feel after doing various activities and what this and other exercise calorie expenditure calculators say I burn doing them. Because it doesn't always seem to add up - even though I'd like it to. ;)

When I walk/run at about 5 mph on a flat treadmill for just 30 minutes, even, I feel like I have definitely worked out. My heart rate gets up in the 130s, I'm dripping in sweat and at times I feel like I cant catch my breath when I actually run for any part of that. If I do it for an hour the calculator says I should burn around 400 calories. Which seems logical, I guess.

But I don't do it very often.

Once a week I take a 90 minute ballet class. It's very aerobic and depending on how often I go, I feel like I get a similar workout as running, even though it's stop and start during the class. And the calculator estimates similar calorie usage.

However, for the past 5 years I have been taking figure skating lessons once a week. I'm not great at it but I can do some little jumps, spins, crossovers, etc. And when I skate I generally do a few laps and stop and work on those other things. I'm moving most of the time and all of it does take effort, physically, but I'm not just speeding around all the time. And just the laps don't seem to take nearly the effort that they did when I was first starting.

So my question is this, the calorie calculator estimates a similar expenditure for "ice skating, general" as it does for running. I can feel my muscles have been worked when I'm done and I am generally ravenously hungry a short time later but i don't feel like my heart is pounding out of my chest at any point. I'm wondering how it could burn the same number of calories. Maybe it's just because it's so cold and I don't sweat as much. Maybe it all balances out - not having to work as hard to move, period, is replaced by doing more difficult things. I'm just kind of paranoid that maybe I'm not really burning as many calories as it thinks I am, because I'm in better shape than the average person selecting that entry from a diary of this sort.

It doesn't really matter. The point is the skating, not the calories, but I don't want to be eating back more calories than I actually burn.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Replies

• KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    A heart rate monitor would answer many of the questions for you. I've worn mine to various exercise/martial arts classes just to get an idea for how many calories i am actually burning (rather than using the estimated calculator here).
  • suzannekatherine
    I've thought about that. I wish I could rent one rather than buying it. I think once would be enough to get a decent baseline established.
  • Hi Suzzane
    I have a HRM and I skate 3-4 times a week for exercise. It my heart rate for usually averages 135 a min but moves between 115 and 160 depending on what I am doing(I'm 40). The HRM says that I burn between 850 and 1115 for a 90 min session. This has always seemed like a lot for me as when I try and run it feels like such and effort when my heart rate is 150+.
    I think as it is so cold in a rink and that skating you are using your brain so much that your percieved effort isn't as high as it is. That's the only theory I have.
    See if you can borrow a HRM from a friend.
    Tasha :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Don't forget that the skates are heavier than your running shoes, too - these things make a difference.
  • suzannekatherine
    I think as it is so cold in a rink and that skating you are using your brain so much that your percieved effort isn't as high as it is. That's the only theory I have.

That's my theory as well. I had no idea my heart rate got up as high as it actually does when I skate. I was sure I was hardly working at all. I don't think my HRM was totally on point about the calorie burn (seemed extremely high) but I think the HR was probably accurate.

I attribute that to the cold, as you said, and to the fact that I am just having a good time. And lots of things to occupy my mind: mastering a skill, focusing on (fantasizing about) what I could accomplish in the future, moving to the music in different ways, trying not to fall, lots of different things to work on. It's not just strictly an endurance activity.

I am pretty sure I am toning up, even if I'm not getting any other benefits from it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I'm also a figure skater. I haven't got a clue how many calories I burn during my sessions. I go three times a week, for either 30 mins or an hour at a time. I sweat a lot! Maybe not as much as I would normally because it's cold in the rink, but I definitely drip sweat. My gloves double as a sweat towel when I'm on the rink, then I bring another towel for wiping my face afterward.

I LOVE skating!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,134 Member
    Skating is anaerobic vs. aerobic (running) so you are basically doing a 'burst' or "interval' training when figure skating. I find I am much more tired after a skating session than a running session. I think skating gives you more of an after burn than conventional cardio.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,611 Member
    I always marvel at how many calories MFP tells me I probably burned from skating. But then I remember it's a full body workout. Not only are you taxing your cardiovascular system, you are working your core as well. It's a pretty intense core workout really. If you are running through a program then I always liken it to a 2 or more minute sprint. So as Sp1nG said it's a burst/interval exercise.

It's good to see so many skaters here.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    I agree, love to see all the skaters on MFP!

I JUST STARTED A GROUP - COME JOIN ME!

Search "Ice Skaters" and you'll find our group!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
This discussion has been closed.