MFP vs Fitbit

Options
So I've set my goal to loose 2lbs a week before Christmas. MFP has set my calorie intake at 1200 calories, but Fitbit (obviously being able to track how many calories I am burning each day and working on a 1000 calorie a day deficit) is telling me that is way too much. Fitbit reckons I should be eating around 800 calories a day based on my TDEE. When I work out this increases but I don't work out everyday!!
Basically, I think that my Fitbit is probably more accurate especially as it reads my heart rate and monitors my movement- but 800 calories is quite low isn't it?!?

I know most of you will say try loosing less each week but I have been yoyo'ing weight for a few weeks so I need to kick start my diet again.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    MFP won't go under 1200.

Advocating 800 is advocating a VLCD, Imo.

It sounds like your goal is far too aggressive.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    When I was up in the morning my FitBit tells me I have around 750 calories to work with for the day (I'm set to lose 1 pound/week in FitBit). That number goes up just existing through the day (I noticed this one day when I was sick and stayed in bed.) it eventually went up over 1000 (not by much), so it will increase through the day. I would look at your calorie trend in FitBit for the past month and see what it averages, and go off that. Most likely it's going to be over 1200 lol. If you only need to lose 10 or 20 pounds, 2 pounds a week is too aggressive to execute in a healthy way.
  • clairec230787
    clairec230787 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    MFP won't go under 1200.

Pardon me? VLCD. ??? Imo??????
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Very low calorie diet.

In my opinion.
  • elbrujo53
    elbrujo53 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    MFP won't go under 1200.

I agree with DeguelloTex. I would not use FitBit to control my calories. It might be misleading. Use MFP, a nice food scale and count every calorie, never less that 1200/day. And if you want to push it harder, exercise and use the fit bit calorie number only as a reference for additional calories burned, and try not to eat back those calories lost. At least not until Christmas if you want to achieve your kind of aggressive goal. Good luck!
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    VLCD = Very Low Calorie Diet IMO= In My Opinion

You should not net below 1200 calories, meaning 1200 plus eating back exercise calories burned. I am not familiar with FibBit and how it works, but if it is "telling" you to only eat 800, I think something is amiss.

2 lbs per week is a goal better suited to people who have a lot of weight to lose. I think I've read that if you have 20 to lose, set it to 1 lb and 10 or less to 1/2 lb.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    With only 7 lbs to go, 2 lbs per week is extremely aggressive, and it is unsafe to eat 800 calories per day. You should be on one-half lb per week, but if you insist, set it to 1 lb per week. Eat AT LEAST 1200 cals. If you try to do this too fast, you will just burn out and probably do worse than yo-yo. Please take care of yourself!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    MFP has safeguards built in, to avoid encouraging people to eat a very low potentially unhealthy level. If you put in an aggressive weight loss goal (like 2 pounds per week seems to be in your case) MFP does the math but won't go below 1200. Based on your stats & stated activity level, MFP estimates you'll burn X cals per day. For a 2 pound loss per week, it then subtracts 1000 and gives you a calorie goal to eat. BUT if X - 1000 is less than 1200, MFP tells you to eat 1200.

There is no disagreement here between Fitbit and MFP, but Fitbit does not such a safety measure in place. So it relies on the human user, to know what is right or not for you.

As others have mentioned, your Fitbit calories allowed will increase based on your movement throughout the day. If your average total daily burn is only 1800, then 1/2 to 1 pound per week are realistic goals for weight loss.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps - if you've been yoyoing, I guess you mean you're staying about the same weight with a slight variation up & down over the past few weeks? If so, at 1800 daily burn, its probably more a matter of improving accuracy in your logging AND having realistic expectations AND being patient.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    800 calories is quite low, even if you are quite small. I know you want to take advantage of your new enthusiasm while it lasts, but do you really want to be that hungry all day going into what I like to refer to as "cookie season?" Chances are good you'll be faced with images of food and real food very frequently, and great hunger is not the dieters' friend. Consider whether you truly want to put yourself through that for the next few weeks, when it so greatly raises your chances of failure in the long run? Could your "kick-start" be just as good mentally if you were to, say, add a couple more days of exercise to your routine, instead of cutting food so drastically? If you were to do that, it might even help you stay on track toward your goals, instead of making it harder to reach them.

Also consider: what if you make that deficit, say, 800 calories per day instead of 1000? That would make your target loss about 1.5 pounds a week, instead of 2 pounds, which would be only about 3 pounds difference between now and Christmas, and, combined with exercise, could give you a much more manageable 1200-calorie number to shoot for. It would still be quite strict and difficult, IMO, but not nearly as likely to be impossible as shooting for 800. And if you find that, even at that level, you are still too hungry to bear, its easier just to nudge it up a little more with a snack, rather than overshooting the 800 calorie goal by 50% or 100% because you got too hungry/grumpy/tired to stick to it. After all, its a busy and often stressful season for most people. A more mindful kick-start to the new year might set you up for major success.

Good luck!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That is because MFP won't go below 1200, for your own safety. Fitbit is showing you what you would actually have to eat to lose 2 pounds a day. It wouldn't be safe, or sustainable and would probably make you very pouty :)
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree that your goal is much too aggressive.

I dont use that feature of the fitbit as I have used MFP since before I had it. I would agree that those number really sound much too low. Mine seems crazy high, it tells me I burn over 2500 cals even on less active days. If your body only burns 800 calories a day I can only picture that you dont move much, which is a good place to start evaluating your body's needs. Something isnt right, and I say its the fitbit's much too low estimate of your caloric burn.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say, if Fitbit is setting your calories at 800 calories a day to lose 2lb a week then your 2lb a week expectation is way, way too aggressive for you. Why not aim for 0.5 a week? Slow and steady wins the race, after all. And eating any less than 1200 is just not safe at all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Follow fitbit for exercise/calorie burns.

Follow MFP for food logging/calorie allotment.
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'd say, if Fitbit is setting your calories at 800 calories a day to lose 2lb a week then your 2lb a week expectation is way, way too aggressive for you. Why not aim for 0.5 a week? Slow and steady wins the race, after all. And eating any less than 1200 is just not safe at all.

Yeah definately this. I have my fitbit set to lose 1.5lb per week, so with a calorie burn of about 2100 I'm eating around 1350+ (normally more, using 1.5 as a goal but really achieving around 1lb per week!)
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    i don't pay a lick of attention to FitBit. I wouldn't pay much attention to MFP calorie goals because they are too low, IMHO. i am not a professional nutritionist or anything like that. I only follow calorie guidelines from USDA choosemyplate.gov.

BTW (my disclaimer) i am not a FitBit fan in any way, shape, or form.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    vczk2t15 wrote: »
    i don't pay a lick of attention to FitBit. I wouldn't pay much attention to MFP calorie goals because they are too low, IMHO. i am not a professional nutritionist or anything like that. I only follow calorie guidelines from USDA choosemyplate.gov.
    How do the MFP calorie goals differ from the calorie guidelines you mention?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Actually, I think for me my calorie burn from Fitbit is more accurate than the estimate from the USDA. I think the USDA's recommendation is an overestimation of my calorie needs.

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Actually, I think for me my calorie burn from Fitbit is more accurate than the estimate from the USDA. I think the USDA's recommendation is an overestimation of my calorie needs.

I found this as well. Not for nothin, but I think the USDA is confused about just how short 5'2" is. But I like choose my plate's activity level estimators better than the quite vague ones on here. Turns out I'm not as sedentary as I believed myself to be...