When to start adding back calories

Options
I am 1 1/2 pounds away from my goal weight. I'm fine at that weight but I'd like to lose a pound or two more to give me a little breathing room. After I'm at goal, should I go ahead and start adding back calories a little at a time, or keep doing what I'm doing until I lose below my goal weight?

Replies

• jackidoll
    jackidoll Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you should get a couple pounds below the goal weight just to be safe, then up your calories slowly to an amount for strictly maintenance.
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Now that I am in maintenance I weigh myself everyday as a check.
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding a tool like trendweight that shows a moving average of your weight, to help keep track of how you are doing, without daily water weight fluctuations causing concerns.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I found that if you are going to raise your calories slowly that you can go ahead and start raising once you hit goal, because you will keep losing a little more. For example if you were at a deficit of 250 calories and you add back in 100 calories a day, you are still at a deficit of 150 calories per day. Personally I should have started adding back in calories a few pounds above goal as I've technically been in maintenance for 2 months but I've lost another 6 pounds. I can't seem to figure out/believe how many calories I really need for maintaining.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention your current rate of loss - if you are losing at more than half a pound a week start adding calories now.