Down 34 pounds and just ran my first 10K - with pics!

Options
mugglewump701
mugglewump701 Posts: 116 Member
edited November 2015 in Success Stories
Hi guys, I’ve only shared my story with my friends and family or on other people’s forum posts asking for before and after photos, but I want to share it now with all of you. I've been on MyFitnessPal for 5 years now - I actually just realized that last month was my anniversary! I’ve always used these forums as inspiration and I want to thank everyone on this site for all of the support, inspiration and sense of community you've provided to get me this far!

I was never into fitness or trying to be healthy when I was younger, but started running a few years ago. I'm a graphic designer who transplanted from Central New York to the DC area 2 years ago for more job opportunities. That move took a huge toll on me, physically and emotionally - I moved away from everyone I’d known my whole life to an area where I only knew a couple of people.

When I realized that I needed to make a change in February of 2014, I weighed 188 pounds at 5’7”. I had zero energy, tons of digestive issues and felt uncomfortable in my own body.

994712_10152536422468032_1682925559_n.jpg?oh=6bfee9894f61e6e52cf3d2e2aac78b80&oe=56B68CC1
January 2014

1966907_10100837830368265_4653156400156643720_n.jpg?oh=d07871949baa04b2b2601f4fc0aec7fe&oe=56F4A7CB
April 2014

I started Focus T25 in February and lost 17 pounds, but as we have a funny way of doing, I let life get in the way and stopped working out in August. I realize now that I wasn’t ready to completely commit myself to living a healthy lifestyle.

uzsllgw10ieg.jpg
August 2014

By the end of the year I was back up to 181 pounds and I was so disappointed in myself. But that is when my mindset shifted and I made the decision that I needed to get my act together. I wasn’t going to be on a “diet”. I was going to learn to create a sustainable lifestyle of eating healthy and working out to get strong. I was going to be realistic and try to be patient.

ca8squ772rrp.jpg
December 2014

I started Les Mills Combat on December 29th in an accountability group on here and along with about 10 or 15 others, we did the program together. We checked in and provided support and motivation for each other, which was great, because it can sometimes be difficult to stay motivated when you’re working out on your own.

I had amazing results from my first 60-day round (12.5 pounds and 15.25 inches!) and decided to do another round, increasing the difficulty with double workouts, 6 days a week. It was so much fun, I didn’t dread working out! Since it provided me with meal plans, set schedules and the workouts, it was the kickstart I needed to create the lifestyle I wanted. It lead to my fitness level increasing and spiraled into strength training and running more. Now I've finished my first 10K, which I never dreamed I'd be able to do!

tfbck3bdh6kq.jpg
April 2015

10384047_10204408573361805_1513877708922630499_n.jpg?oh=a120a12e5453cd280948c2da5c8cc7fa&oe=56EE6958
In Florida in June 2015

12219397_10101510304025665_833042091432714102_n.jpg?oh=fdfca7a05c1e4349cba3fb32a0e8cb33&oe=56E31586
After the 10K in November 2015 :smile:

I never felt comfortable enough to share my photos, but I'm down a total of 34 pounds (I’ve lost a few more since this photo was taken!) and 38.5 inches since February 2014 and when I saw this side-by-side comparison, I realized that I’m achieving exactly what I set out to do! It’s so hard when you’re only looking at your short term progress (I didn’t lose any weight over the summer) and you forget to look at the bigger picture and how far you’ve come!

img_4054.jpg?w=620&h=643

img_4056.jpg?w=620

img_4055.jpg?w=620&h=620

scianlfgmbg7.jpg
At a corn maze this Halloween :smile:

While I was on this journey, I found myself connecting with a lot of people who were also trying to better themselves. As I lost more weight, people started asking me for advice and I realized that my experience could help others reach their goals, even if only for motivation. Through this realization, I found that helping people was something that really made me happy, so that’s when I started my blog. (www.FindingKodex.wordpress.com) It may not get tons of visitors, but even if it only helps one person, then it was worth it. :)

I'm not "done" yet as I want to continue evolving and improving my fitness. I try to eat as cleanly as possible, but I indulge once in awhile (and probably more than I should!). My diary is open to my friends, so if you're looking for support, send me a request!

You can also find me on Facebook (Facebook.com/FindingKodex) or read more about my fitness journey on my blog if you’re interested :)https://findingkodex.wordpress.com/2015/05/20/in-the-beginning/

Replies

• LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    AWESOME SAUCE!!! SO happy for and PROUD of you and all your dedicated work! Amazing!
  • SLDB68
    SLDB68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • ldtamika31
    ldtamika31 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • zippym67
    zippym67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    amazing work !! well done you should be so proud! :)
  • mugglewump701
    Options
    Thank you all so much! :smiley:
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Well done, shows what determination can achieve!
  • ardenspark
    ardenspark Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing. You look awesome!
  • Juliapadg
    Juliapadg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm going to friend you.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! You're looking great!
  • mugglewump701
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you! You all are so sweet :)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look so happy :)
  • mugglewump701
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks! I am! It truly is amazing what changing your mindset can do. Before, I'd use excuses for why I couldn't work out: I had a headache/cramps/too "tired"/stressed. But now I realize that exercising can help with all of those things! Plus, now I know the difference between being actually fatigued and needing to rest and when I just don't feel like working out :smile:
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    OMG u look fabulous / end of thread :#
  • MartinCanDoThisWithGodsHelp
    Options
    You look great! Congrats and God bless on your journey
  • Queen_Jonez
    Queen_Jonez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're are inspiring!!!
  • mugglewump701
    Options
    Thank you so much! You guys are exactly why I love this site :)<3
  • dcririe
    dcririe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! I was wondering if your energy levels and digestive issues have improved since losing weight.
  • mugglewump701
    edited November 2015
    Options
    dcririe wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your story! I was wondering if your energy levels and digestive issues have improved since losing weight.

Oh definitely! Obviously, if I'm not getting enough sleep or rest, it takes a hit, but in general my energy levels are pretty high! I typically feel more tired or lethargic when I don't workout for a day or two! Like I mentioned before, when I'm not feeling well or "tired" (which is really, I'm mentally exhausted and just don't want to work out), a work out makes me feel better and rejuvenated.

My digestive issues are better-once I stopped eating crap, I felt less bloated and like I was cleansing my body of the toxins. I think the more well rounded your diet is and the more nutrients you get (via fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins and complex carbs), the better your digestive system and body in general can work.
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! You look awesome! I have lost 34 pounds too! It's nice to see someone who has lost the same as me!
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!