Brand new to myfitnesspal and hoping to lose about 40 pounds

Options
Hey everyone!

I just joined My Fitness Pal and in just a few days it's been such a great and useful tool to help me with my weight loss!

I use to be 110 pounds and worked out constantly. In the past few years, I completely let myself slip and allowed other things become more important in my life than my health. In 5 years, I got up to about 188 pounds :(. (I'm about 5'4!). I didn't let the weight gain concern me until about a year ago when I had to be rushed to the hospital for chest pains. It wasn't anything harmful but I knew at that moment I had to start taking care of myself, like I had in the past!

I was always a vegetarian but wasn't exactly eating healthy, so I changed my diet (I started eating lots of fruits and veggies like a vegetarian should!) and really cut my portions. I started going to the gym again and remembered why I had worked out so much in the past! Oh ya, because it makes you feel great!! I started this new routine April of this year and have already lost 20 pounds! I am currently at 168 and my goal weight is to get to a healthy 120-125.

To be quite honest, I gets extremely difficult at times because I get upset not only that I let myself get to this point but I get frusturated because I want to see quicker results (I am getting a little impatient!) However, being on this website and reading all of your success stories has been SO inspirational that it really has given me a boost to keep going and to be patient with myself. I can't wait to look good and be healthy again!!!

Replies

• AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I am also new to this site and i really love it. I am learning how to eat healthy. I wish you the best in your journey with your weight lost. Feel free to add me as your friend, we can cheer each other on.
  • sec818
    sec818 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm new also and getting ready to post my intro! Good for you on your weight loss!! I know exactly how you feel - let yourself slip for awhile, feel bad and beat yourself up about it. I just keep remembering something my dad said to me when I was a teenager who could eat ANYTHING and not gain weight - "the weight goes on a lot easier than it comes off"....LOL Stick with it! Looking forward to hearing about more of your successes! : )
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I can really relate to your story. It is VERY frustrating and hard not to be upset at yourself for gaining the weight. However, you can only change the future. Good luck to you on your journey! It's totally possible to get back to that happy point. :)
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    Don't give up! Stick it out and you will get the results you want. I lost 60 lbs using this website to control my eating. I hit a plateau and became discouraged and stopped logging my food. Needless to say, I gained about 15 lbs in the year that I stopped logging in my food. The other day I realized that why not go back to logging in because it worked. I worked too hard to lose the 60 and then gain it back, so I am back as well! I know this website helps so much and you will find so many people here that will encourage you! Welcome and good luck!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to you.
    Here's a bit of advice that I, who can be extremely impatient, have found to be helpful: I only weigh once a week and don't let the scale dictate my success/failure for the week. A combination of weighing, measuring, and how my clothes fit. At least ONE of those shows improvement then I view my week as a success.
    I'm sure you'll find a lot of help and encouragement on here, I sure have!
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • RubyRed1999
    RubyRed1999 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I also am wanting to lose 40 some pounds so I know kinda how you feel. Congrats on the 20 lb lose so far that's great. Welcome to the site and I know you will find help and support.
  • worstmomof4
    worstmomof4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't fret you are far from alone. In everything you stated. I just signed up today after trying several sites. Love this one. I am with you on not just dropping the weight but to FEEL better too. Best wishes in your journey.