Have You Ever Done A Stupid/Fad Diet? What Happened?

Options
When I was engaged, my then-fiance-now-husband and I were overweight. My mother pressured both of us to try a diet that her sister had done with big results. After about a month of pressure we finally gave in and did it. Here's my story:

The diet was called the HCG diet. The idea behind it is that you take oral drops that simulate the HCG hormone in pregnant women. This hormone feeds on the fat stores in the mother and gives it to the fetus. Supposedly, without a fetus present, and while taking the simulated hormone, the excess fat would be washed out as waste product. So for 21 days you ate an incredibly restrictive diet (it only included chicken, lean steak, shrimp, lettuce, spinach, asparagus, apples, oranges, and strawberries) of only 500 calories per day. And you could only drink plain water, plain coffee, or plain green tea. Absolutely no additives or enhancements. You could have absolutely no fats or oils, including certain make-up or lotions, and no breads. If you plateaued, you did a "steak day" where you didn't eat anything all day but then for dinner had 100 grams of steak and an apple. The idea was that the fat your body was releasing and feeding on kept you in a healthy calorie range. After 21 days, you spent the next 3 weeks slowly introducing more food and eventually were back to normal.

The results were huge. I lost 25 pounds in 21 days and my husband lost 45. But at the end, I had my urine tested and found out that I was in ketoacidosis. Essentially, my liver was getting ready to shut down. As I'm typing all this out, I can't believe how stupid I was to be pressured into trying something like this. Yes, I lost 25 pounds in 21 days (that I gained right back after a couple months) but at the risk of my health. I'm so glad that I've started doing this the right way and the results are even more gratifying this time around. And those HCG drops have been banned by the FDA in the US.

TL;DR: I essentially shut down my liver eating 500 calories a day.

Replies

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I tried a "juice cleanse" for 3 days. Got sick, felt really run down (clearly because of the amt of calories I was taking in). Not one of my proudest moments.

I did lose a few pounds of water that came rushing back on as soon as I had a solid meal. Haha.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I tried a "juice cleanse" for 3 days. Got sick, felt really run down (clearly because of the amt of calories I was taking in). Not one of my proudest moments.

I did lose a few pounds of water that came rushing back on as soon as I had a solid meal. Haha.

I had a very similar experience except I was also drinking "detox tea" while doing the "cleanse." When you feel too weak to make it to the bathroom but it's really ultra-important to make it to the bathroom . . . well, it wasn't fun.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think I tried them all between 2006 and 2011. The worst was some diet pills that helped kill appetite and "speed up metabolism". I lost 25 pounds in two weeks because I could barely eat or drink. Then I fainted carrying my son down the stairs at our house and the way I landed broke his leg. I gained it all back when I stopped the pills and started eating again. The guilt of breaking his leg haunts me today.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm in the middle of a stupid diet that I have coined the sugar free jello and diet caffeine free coke diet. I'm diabetic and periodically need to fast for extended periods while I assess whether parts of my insulin dosages need adjusting (basal testing). I just had my last meal, plan on starting the test at 6PM (need to fast for at least 4 hours prior to the test), and can't eat or drink anything besides sugar free jello and decaffeinated beverages until I end the test around 7-8AM tomorrow (if I don't need to stop it earlier). Once that test is done, I need to assess the change in my blood sugar over that period, adjust my insulin dosages, and retest as needed. Then I get to do basal testing all over again with a different time segment! :persevere:

I might hide from my family for the next few days. I only got about 900 calories in for the day and am going to be miserable while I run these tests.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Here are two of my experiences with stupid diets:

When I was in college, I read an article in Redbook about a "miracle" ice cream diet. Essentially, it was a typical restrictive diet of grapefruit, egg whites, celery and the like, but you were allowed one tablespoon of ice cream a day to "help you feel like you aren't being deprived" or some such nonsense. I lasted about a day and a half then I broke down and had a large bowl of ice cream.

I also tried some diet pills with green coffee extract that were supposed to turn my metabolism into a fat-burning machine, but they just made me jittery and kept me awake for nearly 24 hours.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have a couple friends who also did the HCG diet. My thought was always, "no s*** you're going to lose a ton of weight eating 500 calories a day. Anyone would!"
    Of course they lost a bunch of weight in a very short amount of time, and of course they gained it all back and a lot more.
    I would kinda consider me doing the Atkins diet dumb, because I knew it wasn't realistic for me not to eat carbs for the rest of my life, so of course I gained all the weight back and then some.
    As a kid I also followed any of the weird diets my mom would find (cabbage soup diet, anyone?)
    Sadly, I've been overweight my entire life.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Does "Slim Fast" count? If so, then "yes." I used Slim Fast in the '90s. I was constantly hungry and miserable, and while I did lose a few pounds the diet was not sustainable for me.

I also tried the "Master Cleanse" for around six hours once. That was just miserable. I tried green tea tablets around 2009, but they did nothing for me.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I went on The Grapefruit Diet when I was in my early 20s. I fainted at work and had to be driven home.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    In college I came up with an idea that every third day all I would consume was liquids. I was miserable and tired every third day and didn't lose any weight because I would overeat the other two days. I lasted maybe a few weeks doing this. If only I'd discovered CICO sooner!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    norcogrrl wrote: »
    Does "Slim Fast" count? If so, then "yes." I used Slim Fast in the '90s. I was constantly hungry and miserable, and while I did lose a few pounds the diet was not sustainable for me.

I also tried the "Master Cleanse" for around six hours once. That was just miserable. I tried green tea tablets around 2009, but they did nothing for me.

Back in the 90's I did SlimFast. I used to carry a can with me while I was on college and drink it between classes. My health professor stopped me one day when she saw me with it and lectured me for 20 minutes on how bad "Slim Junk" was for you and how you can lose weight eating a healthy, well balanced diet and didn't need and gimmicks or magic potions. Genius!!

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, what haven't I tried?? Thing is, I've never had a ton of weight to lose, but nevertheless I still tried like heck. I did Slim Fast (yuck!!), the cabbage soup diet (ate one bowl and tossed it), Herbalife, Shakeology, 3-day cleanses (hangry!!)... After trying each one of these I would end up so frustrated that I'd eat whatever. Nothing has made the difference like CICO and tracking/weighing/measuring. I still eat what I want, but I count it. I'll never go back.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Holy cow, what haven't I tried?? Thing is, I've never had a ton of weight to lose, but nevertheless I still tried like heck. I did Slim Fast (yuck!!), the cabbage soup diet (ate one bowl and tossed it), Herbalife, Shakeology, 3-day cleanses (hangry!!)... After trying each one of these I would end up so frustrated that I'd eat whatever. Nothing has made the difference like CICO and tracking/weighing/measuring. I still eat what I want, but I count it. I'll never go back.

ugh - the cabbage soup diet! It had this resurgence in popularity in the mid 90's - around the time I was pregnant with my son. I had friends on it and let me tell you - being in a small car with them was soooooo not fun!!!
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    When I was engaged, my then-fiance-now-husband and I were overweight. My mother pressured both of us to try a diet that her sister had done with big results. After about a month of pressure we finally gave in and did it. Here's my story:

The diet was called the HCG diet. The idea behind it is that you take oral drops that simulate the HCG hormone in pregnant women. This hormone feeds on the fat stores in the mother and gives it to the fetus. Supposedly, without a fetus present, and while taking the simulated hormone, the excess fat would be washed out as waste product. So for 21 days you ate an incredibly restrictive diet (it only included chicken, lean steak, shrimp, lettuce, spinach, asparagus, apples, oranges, and strawberries) of only 500 calories per day. And you could only drink plain water, plain coffee, or plain green tea. Absolutely no additives or enhancements. You could have absolutely no fats or oils, including certain make-up or lotions, and no breads. If you plateaued, you did a "steak day" where you didn't eat anything all day but then for dinner had 100 grams of steak and an apple. The idea was that the fat your body was releasing and feeding on kept you in a healthy calorie range. After 21 days, you spent the next 3 weeks slowly introducing more food and eventually were back to normal.

The results were huge. I lost 25 pounds in 21 days and my husband lost 45. But at the end, I had my urine tested and found out that I was in ketoacidosis. Essentially, my liver was getting ready to shut down. As I'm typing all this out, I can't believe how stupid I was to be pressured into trying something like this. Yes, I lost 25 pounds in 21 days (that I gained right back after a couple months) but at the risk of my health. I'm so glad that I've started doing this the right way and the results are even more gratifying this time around. And those HCG drops have been banned by the FDA in the US.

TL;DR: I essentially shut down my liver eating 500 calories a day.

I've never tried a fad diet, but I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience. Good luck on your healthy journey!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I did soup once for a few days to try and curb my cravings. It didn't work and I got sick of soup.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think I tried them all between 2006 and 2011. The worst was some diet pills that helped kill appetite and "speed up metabolism". I lost 25 pounds in two weeks because I could barely eat or drink. Then I fainted carrying my son down the stairs at our house and the way I landed broke his leg. I gained it all back when I stopped the pills and started eating again. The guilt of breaking his leg haunts me today.

Thank you for sharing this. It can't be easy to live with that guilt. When I first started my weight loss journey, I would put my 2 year old in the stroller and go for long, leisurely walks, which he loved. Now, I often find myself leaving him at home so I can get a more rigorous workout in a shorter time because "he'll slow me down." Your story reminds me that one of the main reasons I'm losing weight is for him. Thank you.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For me personally, Atkins was dumb as it was totally unrealistic for me to sustain, and as I've demonstrated for myself later, wholly unnecessary.

Calorie counting with insanely low goals (1300 calories for a 300+lb man is not reasonable at all) was another dumb one, as was trying to eliminate all "bad food".

As to what happened, like many of us, I failed, and regained all the weight I lost plus extra.
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The big one I did was Adipex (phentermine). I lost 70 lbs in 2 months and I didn't even try. At first the Dr at this place told me to eat 1200 calories and 24 grams of fat. That lasted like 2 weeks. It was so hard to stay at the fat grams. So I just started eating what I wanted and I still lost weight. I didn't have any issues like some people did w/ it. BUT I stopped taking them and gained back 70 + some.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh boy.

Well, when I was at dance school I bought a book called the dancer's diet or some such. It was basically a published guide to anorexia without anyone really noticing you had anorexia. 800 calories a day or some such, gross not net. I think I lasted about a week because it was ridiculous for someone dancing up to eight hours a day!

About a year later, whilst also at dance college, I tried an Alli type product. I didn't have any of the worst of the horror stories happen but it was still very unpleasant. I only lasted a couple of weeks then too.

Briefly did the cabbage soup but it was in support of a flatmate doing it, who didn't fully explain until she gave the print out of all the details. I jacked it in after a day, she lasted about a week too.

Utter lunacy given that we had perfectly sensible diet and nutrition classes at dance school and yet I still fell for the fads. 10+ years down the line I am on my way to being physically smaller, fitter and healthier than I ever was when dancing!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When I was nineteen or twenty years old, I tried Slimfast. It lasted about 36 hours. That's the only fad diet I ever tried.

It didn't taste good and I was HUNGRY, so I quit. I gave the rest of the canister to a friend and she didn't finish it, either, lol.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight I took a trip to Mexico, and beforehand wanted to lose some weight. A friend suggested the "Apple Cleanse." Basically, you can eat as many apples as you want all day long. If you feel you need more, you can have a little bit of peanut butter or cheese with your apple. Then for dinner you have a salad with grilled chicken. I did it for two weeks and only lost about three pounds - likely because I was so hungry so my "little bit" of peanut butter or cheese was getting bigger every day. By the end I was running to the bathroom three or four times an hour, and decided that probably wasn't going to go well on the three hour flight to Mexico.

Last year my sister did a juice cleanse (even though I tried to encourage her not to). She lasted 12 hours, and woke up in the night violently ill. That was the end of that.