Do you have a hard time getting yourself to the gym even though you like being there?

Options
I love lifting weights and stretching. Cardio's not favorite, but overall I really enjoy the gym. I still have a mental roadblock sometimes though, and it feels so hard to make myself go. It's not interfering with my goals. I'm just wondering if anyone can relate.

Replies

• steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes. But, we don't have to like it, we just have to do it... Perhaps a work out pal ?
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Agree! In my mind, I seem to really like the gym and have incredibly high and exciting expectations for what I'm going to do when I go there. Then on gym days, I have to force myself to not rationalize not going. Then I go, do my thing, and end up (usually) not doing the myriad of things I had expected myself to do, but I get a decent workout in, just not what I imagined while sitting at my office dreaming of the gym. Then wash, rinse, repeat.

I guess I end up enjoying thinking about going to the gym more than the reality of actually going to the gym. But I go. And I am always glad I went, and it keeps me going.

Paying a personal trainer to meet with me once a week really helps. Gotta show up, and at least on the non-trainer days, it makes me push a little harder to show that I put the work in.

On a scale of 1 - 10:

Dreaming of me at the gym, I will amaze myself and do incredible things: 10
    Me at the gym, I do OK, maybe not do that third set of the 4th accessory lift...: 7
    Me not at the gym: 0

So I go and pat myself on the back afterwards. And I do like what the gym has to offer, and I love lifting weights. There you have it!
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @CarlydogsMom Thanks for your reply! It's kinda opposite for me.. I tend to think it's gonna be really hard and tiring and just dreadful, but then I go and usually really enjoy it.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    nope not me, it's all I really look forward to during the working day.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I have trouble leaving the gym.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Nope I enjoy my workouts, wouldn't do it otherwise. I derive a great sense of personal satisfaction pushing myself in different directions & discovering what I'm capable of... The sweat, muscle soreness & bruises I've received don't come close to outweighing the "feel good" endorphins, stress relief, self confidence, strength increases & other health benefits I've gained since exercising regularly,
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have trouble taking deload weeks or weeks off. Or an extra rest day.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have a slight social anxiety where I dread being around others but I love the gym. Somedays I have to really talk myself into it especially if I think it will busy because it's not my usual time to go. In the end I know that if I don't go I will regret it and usually when I get there it's not all that bad. Once I am in my zone everyone else kind of disappears.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, mostly with cardio, but I just have to keep reminding myself how good I'll feel afterwards. I also find not thinking about not going helps. Kind of just get into auto pilot mode to get yourself through the door. If I think about it too much I can come up with a reason not to go.

Luckily this is usually not that frequent and most of the time I look forrward to going
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    On Monday, it was howling wind and pouring rain. It was cold and dark. I was supposed to go to yoga class for 5:30. I did not make it. I did not want to go out out in the nasty weather. It is often the weather that prevents me from going to class. Often, it is not necessarily the situation outside, but mentally I am warm and comfortable and do not want to be made uncomfortable by the cold and wet.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't dread working out, but I do hate going to the gym. If I had the space, I would 100% do a home gym. I am not a social person and don't like being around people. I usually just tell myself to suck it up and go, and if I am too tired, I will skip my accessories. I have never skipped them yet :P It is always fine once i get there.
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Think a lot of the issue it just getting there! To leave your house, or to go from work before home or whatever, it's an added chore just getting there sometimes. Unless it is right next door to your house or place of work.

This is why I workout from home and have a good set of equipment. I would not be getting the workouts I need if I relied purely on getting to the gym.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    No, I don't, but that's probably due to the fact that it's just part of my routine at this point. I pack my gym bag the night before, so that I can just grab-and-go in the morning. There is no overthinking it for me...I can't talk myself out of it.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    May be a sign of overtraining. If the thought of going to the gym seems like the worst idea in the world, it could be your body trying to tell you something. When my programming, nutrition, and sleep are all on point, I feel fresh and eager to do some lifting every session.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    May be a sign of overtraining. If the thought of going to the gym seems like the worst idea in the world, it could be your body trying to tell you something. When my programming, nutrition, and sleep are all on point, I feel fresh and eager to do some lifting every session.

Interesting point! It's definitely not overtraining though! I've been kinda half-assing it for probably the last month or so, so I'm wondering if I just lost momentum. I bet if I were going more consistently the idea of going would have a more positive connotation. Thanks for your reply!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If it's outside my door, I do it. I love playing tennis because It's right there. I love sailing too. But I don't get out much anymore because I have to hook up a boat, drive to the bay and unload it. I don't like chores.

My home gym is about 50ft away. Sometimes I dread the crawl. But, once I get in and start moving, I feel good.
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love going and am often upset when I cant. Usually my husband is with me so that may be why. We consider it our bonding time before we have to go back to reality (bills, child, messy home, etc).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I had a serious problem getting to the gym until I made myself a schedule and a routine. Now I go at the same times every week with specific goals in mind, and it's not optional and there's no "maybe I should go to the gym today," because I know I go before work on Mon/Wed and at lunch Tues/Thurs and do a long run on Saturday mornings, and that's just the way it is.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Yeah, leaving the house is the hard part. Once I'm doing it, or I'm on my way, I'm totally up for it. Not sure why the stumbling block over just deciding to go do it.