Need Help with Healthy Thanksgiving Side Recipes

Options
Hi Guys!!

With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I need some really awesome, healthy sides to serve at Thanksgiving. I know we have all tried and experienced with our own healthy recipes and I have made cauliflower mash already but I am looking for some new ideas.

Does anyone have some amazing recipes that they would like to share? :)

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any dish can be made with some swaps, but Skinnytaste has a great collection of Thanksgiving dishes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Roasted sweet potatoes or brussels sprouts are among my usual sides and not high cal. I sometimes do the bacon thing with the brussels, but it's really not necessary. Instead of green bean casserole I often make "fancy green beans" which is just sauteing them in some olive oil, perhaps with mushrooms and garlic, and then adding some pine nuts and dill. I always keep the mashed potatoes too, but my mashed potatoes aren't particularly high cal -- I just add some skim milk and then a bit of butter, but you can also let people add their own butter. Winter squash -- including mashed or perhaps a soup -- would make an excellent side.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I make a sweet potato casserole. Because I limit added sugars, I sweeten it with squeezed orange, some raisins and a bit of sugar free maple syrup. Then add some crushed walnuts. I put marshmallows on half because one of us loves that. Then bake.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    We also make green beans with almonds & garlic. And also sometimes mushrooms & onions.

Brussels sprouts are a regular part of our diet. Cook as Sunparakeet above. For savory you can go with cumin & maybe pistachios. For a bit of a sweet taste that goes nicely with the bitterness of brussels sprouts, try a tad of maple syrup. About a tablespoon for a generous portion for 4 people.

Winter squash tastes awesome if you just add lots of nutmeg (or any combo of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, etc.) toward the end of roasting. Pumpkin is a winter squash - think about the spices in pumpkin pie. If that's still too plain, you can put a small amount (1-2 teaspoons) of brown sugar in the cavity toward the end. It will melt & be delicious. For yummy mashed winter squash, add liberal amounts of the spices above. If you need liquid to get the right consistency, apple cider isn't that bad for calories in teaspoon-tablespoon amounts per serving & can add a hint of nice flavor.

We don't do mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving, but for a lower cal mashed potatoes with some flavor, use fat free chicken broth instead of butter and/or milk. Or just smash them plain. People can put in their own butter at the table.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I haven't made it yet, but I'm adding this to the lineup for this year's Thanksgiving. Green Apple and Celery Salad.

According to the comments, there's too much dressing so I'm using half the amount, and about half the walnuts. It comes out to 166 cal/serving that way. If it's really as good as the comments say, it'll be nice to have something fresh and crunchy and low cal to pile on my plate so I have less room for the stuff I should eat a lot less of.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/green-apple-and-celery-salad-with-walnuts-and-mustard-vinaigrette-233139