Will my calves change shape?

Options
As a fat girl, I've always had trouble buying boots because of fat calves but thin ankles. I've bought some beautiful boots that won't zip but I'm hoping that weight loss and exercise will help that.

I've lost 20lbs so far with about 55 left to lose and have picked up running alternating days with calisthenics. While I can for sure see squishy bits on my thighs, waist, arms, etc, I'm not sure there's a lot to lose on my calves.

Will it ever be possible to fit into normal boots or should I just send them back?

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, and regular boots fit fine now. Keep them out where you can see them and use them for motivation!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on genetics. How big are your calves now?

My calves weren't very big when I started losing weight, but they have gotten smaller and much more defined since I've started losing weight. I think that they're the most progressed part of my body in terms of reaching goal.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    have any of you had your shoe size go down while loosing weight? aka actual feet get smaller?
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your body type. I've always had large calf muscles ( a gift from my father :smile: ) and have trouble fitting regular boots.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've lost an inch and a quarter on each calf since March. I now, thankfully, can fit into tall boots (wearing some right now!). My calves still run a little large (15.5 inches) as that's just how my body is built, so I still have to mindful of how large the opening on the boot is.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    LeslieTSUK wrote: »
    have any of you had your shoe size go down while loosing weight? aka actual feet get smaller?

Yes, all of my shoes are too big right now, esp. my racquetball shoes, as I bought them 30 lbs ago.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Calves are very genetic. Some are born with calves, some are born with bulls. Embrace them! :)
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    lrichelle wrote: »
    A lot depends on your body type. I've always had large calf muscles ( a gift from my father :smile: ) and have trouble fitting regular boots.

Exactly the same with me. Although I'm sure mine have gotten slightly smaller with a 39lb loss, I don't think they'll ever get "regular boot" small. But with so many wide calf boots out there now, I usually just go straight for those so I'm not so sad and depressed when a "regular" pair doesn't fit lol ;)

• LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    LeslieTSUK wrote: »

Yes, all of my shoes are too big right now, esp. my racquetball shoes, as I bought them 30 lbs ago.

yayyyy
    lives in hope hehe, ty :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the answer is within the question.

"Does the appearance of your body and your muscles change when put through a rigorous exercise and nutrition program meant to change the appearance of your body and your muscles?"
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do think my shoe size is shrinking and there doesn't seem to be a lot of visible fat on my feet. So hopefully my calves will shrink as well. On genetics, yes, I got my calves from my dad.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Calves are very genetic. Some are born with calves, some are born with bulls. Embrace them! :)

Hilarious!

Edited for clarity.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    me too, got mine from my dad. they HUGE. <3

yfah5s97qfkx.jpg
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You can buy "Wide Calf" Boots too! I have noticed over the years as I GAINED weight, my boots got tight, and no longer zip. I am hoping with more weight loss they will zip right up. If not...I will look a little unbalanced!!
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Resurrecting this thread in case anyone is interested :smile:

As the OP, I'm now down 75 pounds. I can happily report that I have in fact lost some fat around my calves to the point that I can zip up most "regular" boots, even over jeans! My calves are still big compared to my ankles, as they will always be, but I'll just chalk that over in the nice-curvy-legs category.

All this to say, it IS possible to fit into "regular" boots for many big-calved women. Yay!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    But damn them fine cuts @yoovie !
    Plastic surgeons charge big bucks for that work!
    It's partially genetics, partially recompositioning I believe. Not everyone will get the same results but everyone who works at this can realize some degree of results... Only you can say when enough is enough.
    Over about 10 years I've watched a neighbor who is 50ish & the mother of two verrrrrrrrrry gradually recomposition herself from a strongly pear shape to a much more balanced hourglass. She cross trains for triathalons & her work has included building upper body mass whilst chewing into her shape's most stubborn fat stores. Slow sledding, but it can be done.