1200 calorie limit - net or total?

Options
Hi -
I've been here a while and I keep seeing that 1200 calories is the safe lower limit for weight loss. I've set my goal to 1lb per week and my calorie goal is 1280 - but some days with exercise I net below 1000, even if I've eaten 1200-1300 calories that day. I only log half my exercise, because I know the calculators aren't always accurate on output. Should I be eating more on the days I exercise even if I'm not hungry to make sure I net above 1200? Just want to make sure I'm doing this healthily :)

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to net 1200. How tall are you?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be eating more. You're 18 with 3 pounds to lose, you need your nutrients.
  • alongwayoff
    alongwayoff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' and as Liftng4Lis said I'm 18. Goal weight is actually more like 10lbs off but I prefer to do things in small chunks, I don't know why. Thanks for the responses :)
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You're supposed to net 1200. How tall are you?

QFT. 1200 per day is for women (A) losing more than 30 lbs, (B) over age 40, and/or (C) under 5'3". Preferably a combination of above. Otherwise it's unsustainable and borderline unhealthy chasing of instant gratification. Trimming a few pounds and keeping them off calls for cultivating a lifelong habit of moderation, not wildly bouncing around crash diets. Be kind to yourself.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    With less than 20 lbs to lose you should be set at 0.5 lb/week loss, and you should be eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories...
  • alongwayoff
    alongwayoff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will have a look at my goals and recalculate this to make it healthier. Thank you for the advice.