New to the gym...

Options
Hi!

I plan on joining a gym and starting to workout on Monday. I have been a member of the gym in the past but I'd go maybe once or twice a month...and I never really did anything too strenuous...I'd use the elliptical for maybe 30 mins, then either walk on the treadmill or use a bike for another 20 minutes. I also tend to get tired easily, and give up.

What are some good machines to use at the gym?
And does anyone have any advice about good workouts to start out with? I obviously want a workout that will make me sweat, but I don't want to try to do much at first because I know that will just make me lose all my motivation!

So basically...any tips for someone who is basically completely new to working out?

Thanks!

Replies

• tejoman
    tejoman Posts: 12
    Options
    Starting off at the gym can be intimidating, but there are things for everyone at any level to do. First off what does your gym have? I'll assume it's a normal gym with ellipticals, treadmills, etc. Ellipticals are great, and in the long run better for you. They take a lot of the "stomping" weight off of your ankles (if you don't know what I mean look at someone running on a treadmill and then someone running on an elliptical). Also what are your goals? Lose fat, gain muscle, etc? For everything you need I've found this website extremely helpful, it's very user friendly and completely free

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely do the 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical-- but for a change of pace you might want to try intervals (either going up and down in intensity or speed a couple of time to get your body burning more efficiently). Since you're new-ish to the gym, you could do a lot of exercises with the Bosu ball (the ball that's flat on the bottom but all rubbery and curvy on top). You can do squats on that and jump over it. You can turn it on the ball part and do planks or push ups if you're able. You can do crunches on the curvy side and even lift the entire thing over your head to work your arms. Start just getting used to a couple of machines and then build from there. And have fun!
  • midmomike2
    midmomike2 Posts: 213
    Options
    Congradulations on your renewed commitment! You can do it! 1 tip that I find helpful is trying out at least 1 new piece of equipment each week or try to use a piece of equipment in a different way.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Congradulations on your renewed commitment! You can do it! 1 tip that I find helpful is trying out at least 1 new piece of equipment each week or try to use a piece of equipment in a different way.

Definitely agree with this. If you try something new every week, soon enough, you'll be a pro!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If your gym has classes take advantage of them! Don't be afraid to stop and pause in the middle of them either. It took me awhile to build up enough strength and stamina, but I'm so glad I kept with it. Good luck!
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Options
    bump, I'm new too and a little scared.
  • nicolelink
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm mostly looking to lose fat, so I guess cardio is the best thing for that?

And I'm definitely going to try my best to keep adding new things to my routine to keep it from getting boring! AND I should definitely check out the classes my gym offers - I think that may actually be a good way for me to not get bored and frustrated and actually have fun with working out! :)