Good choices at the Chinese restaurant

Options
2»

Replies

• retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever have Chinese food so when I do have it, I have what I like and just control myself with portions. For me, if I want this type of food the healthy version is just not going to cut it for me.

I hope you find some great suggestions though.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Chinese sounds awesome. I haven't had chinese food in well over 3 months, because I have no idea what I can have. I am sure I can have whatever I want, but I have NO idea how many calories are in a dish, or even what is involved in cooking the dish.

I must learn how to cook some chinese food. healthy chinese food that isn't drowning in sauce and high in sodium.:)

I cook my own Chinese sometimes! Brown rice, chicken breast fried in an oiled pan, lots of frozen stir fry veggies, and a little bottled sweet and sour! So good!
  • Trinity0210
    Options
    now i want chinese
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Options
    I didn't know there were any good choices at the chinese place. And you know that Chinese people do not eat like the restaurant menu because how often have you seen a fat chinese person....? Really think about it. Let me know if you find adjusted chinese food recipes...I love chinese.:flowerforyou:
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Hmm, I am convinced healthy choices at Chinese places do not exist. Everything is skyrocket high in sodium and may contain MSG. Add to that that everything is smothered in sauce and you're probably looking at a ton of calories. I think the Chinese food sold in the U.S. is junk food. I'm convinced "real" Chinese food must be healthier.

Have you tried Thai? There are lots of great healthy curries and rice noodle dishes and even their desserts seem to be in very small portions and consist of mainly fruit or rice. Much more tasty if you ask me!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You should buy the Eat This Not That Restaurant Guide; I swear that book is a life saver for whenever you have to dine out!

Yay for someone else who supports ETNT! I promote it all the time on the forums. I know that at Panda Express, Beef and Broccoli is the best choice!

For anyone that doesn't have the ETNT book, the website is also amazing. It has great articles about eating out, grocery shopping, and more!

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Steamed tilapia/ any white fish is delicious, they make it with a light vinegar sauce, and you can eat it on brown rice. Bean sprouts and eggplant are good too.

The only reason chinese food has a lot of sodium in it is because it is meant to be eaten as a topping for rice. 1 cup of steamed rice should be topped with 1/2 cup of veggies and 2 or 3 pieces of meat. Use chopsticks or a fork, and shake off any excess sauce on the food before you eat it. Drink some kind of broth/soup as an appetizer before the meal, and skip dessert.
  • nicolelink
    Options
    Oh goodness, I'm totally craving chinese food after seeing this! It's my favorite food ever and I NEVER get anything healthy (fried rice and lo mein = yummy, but SO bad!)

Even though I guess nothing at a chinese food restaurant is super "healthy", steamed veggies with chicken and brown rice, with the sauce on the side is definitely a lot healthier than most options! And honestly not terrible tasting.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! To those of you who shun Chinese food for its sodium, you must know that sodium isn't actually a concern for me. I am among the 2% that have low blood pressure so sodium is actually good for me. I don't add salt to any of my foods and rarely cook with it so I can take the hit. I'm looking at calories and fat.

I am now in posession of the ETNT book, thanks to my sister, so I have a better idea of what I can have at the Chinese food place. A lot of it though is the same suggestions that you guys have given me. Thank you all again!