Am I on the right track?

Options
Coming to the end of day 4 for me and I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track...

DAILY CALORIE GOAL: 1310 (with no exercise)

Day 1 TOTAL CALORIES FOR DAY: 1348
DAILY GOAL : 1710
REMAINING: 562
EXTRA EARNED THROUGH EXERCISE: 400

Day 2 TOTAL CALORIES FOR DAY: 1258
REMAINING: 452

Day 3 TOTAL CALORIES FOR DAY: 1538 (bad day, we went out to eat)
REMAINING: 172

Day 4 TOTAL CALORIES FOR DAY: 1017
DAILY GOAL : 1441
REMAINING: 424
EXTRA EARNED THROUGH EXERCISE: 131
(Still have about 30-45 min. Pilates and going to eat a salad to do..)

Also, I have went from drinking 6-8 sodas a day to only 2 (now diet, starting today till none) and drink 6 + cups of water where as I used to drink none at all. Just want to make sure I am on the right track, any info. would be great!! Thanks!!

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Good for you getting rid of the soda!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What jumps out at me is the number of calories you have left over at the end of the day. You'll hear conflicting opinions about the whole "eat back your exercise calories" issue, but I think it's smart to eat back at least 1/2. I also noticed from looking at your diary that you tend to skip meals. That's not necessarily wise because the tendency is to skip meals, get REAL hungry, then binge later in the day. Don't deprive yourself because you will burn out.

Why was Day 3 bad? You were still under your calories by a pretty good amount? There are no "good" or "bad" days; there are ones where we learn to do better the next day, and ones we want to duplicate later.

I know you're just getting started... keep going and look at selecting healthy food as you continue.
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What does your Net Calories say on the My Home tab? You may not be eating enough of your exercise calories back to keep your net above 1200.

I know it sounds strange, but if you expend energy exercising, you need to feed your body for recovery and so you don't start feeling run down.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Some may fuss that your calorie goal is so low and that you are not eating back your exercise calories, but its really what works best for you. You might notice, after awhile, that your weight loss is slowing down or maybe even stalling. I recommend allowing your cals to go over goal once in awhile. The body adjusts to the lower calorie levels and becomes more efficient at using the calories that you give it. So going over when it starts to slow down or stalls can actually help reenergize your metabolism because your body is trying to use all of the calories you give it. You just don't want to average out over your goal. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    It's hard to really comment without seeing what exactly you are eating, but congrats on giving up the soda and drinking more water - that's definitely going in the right direction. I think you may need to eat a little more - it looks like MFP has set your calorie goal at 1310 before exercise? If so, try to make sure you get that much in each day. There are different schools of thought with regard to eating back exercise calories - in general, you should try to eat at least some of them back - I wouldn't get too anal about it because the exercise calorie burned numbers are estimates and can run high, but do eat some - your body needs fuel to work well, and if you don't give it enough fuel, it can actually slow down your weight loss. This is especially important if you set your goal for 2 lbs a week - MFP has then already built in a 1000 calorie a day deficit into your daily goal of 1310 - going below a 1000 calorie deficit isn't healthy. But overall it looks like you are on the right track :-)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I only skip meals (which is usually just lunch) because I am just not hungry or too busy.. but I do try to snack on something to hold me over. Day 3 was a bad day because we went out to eat and the calories were insane... I didn't eat for the rest of the day because of that...

I try to get to my daily goal of 1310 and not go over even if I "earn more" through exercise because I just don't want to over eat. If I am hungry I will eat! I just see so many posts about people "starving themselves" and needing to eat more and I want to make sure I am not falling into that category.
  • TinaS88
    Options
    Also, my diary is free for anyone to see if that helps more....And I am only set at 1lb. a week (because I was told that was the 'healthiest' even though I am hoping to drop 1 1/2....thanks for the input everyone!!

Also, what if I am just NOT hungry? Do I need to force myself to eat?
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    looks like you calorie amounts are ok and good on the soda changing to diet and reducing it. I know how that is.. I went from drinking probably a 6pack of diet pepsi a day to none. One thing I can tell you is skipping meals is not a good idea. Also you choice of calories when you do eat isnt the best. A can of soda is not a meal. Get some protein bars or take finger foods to eat while driving or at your desk.

Good luck!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. I can see some effort being put in. A few suggestions:

~Eat breakfast every day, preferably protein. The turkey bacon & eggs are a good idea.
    ~Try to get at least 3 meals in a day. Ideally add at least 2 snacks in between. It will save you trying to finish up your calories late at night and keep your metabolism burning consistently throughout the day.
    ~Try to add a bit more green veg into your diet. Expand your palate by trying other lettuces/greens besides iceburg. it will make your salads more interesting and enjoyable.

Good for you kicking soda. Keep up the good work.
  • TinaS88
    Options
    Okay thanks!! Yea I plan on going to the grocery store this week. Last couple days I have just been eating on what we have in the house.. gotta wait until we get paid.. lol lol. Thanks for all the info!!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Also, my diary is free for anyone to see if that helps more....And I am only set at 1lb. a week (because I was told that was the 'healthiest' even though I am hoping to drop 1 1/2....thanks for the input everyone!!

Also, what if I am just NOT hungry? Do I need to force myself to eat?
    Once you start eating breakfast more regular and you decrease processed foods the appetite will pick up. Also on those not hungry times, try eating something lite. A snack can be a cup of water melon diced.