Pregnant & Logging - LF Friends

Options
Hi everyone - I'm looking to add some ladies to my friends list who are in the same boat as me. I'm pregnant and so my goals have switched from loss to maintaining my weight. My hunger has me failing miserably lately and feeling ashamed because my friends list is made up of people who are losing. Looking for some moral support during the next 9 months!

Replies

• emily7kg
    emily7kg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant now but I've had 3 children. I hope you can give yourself permission to enjoy your pregnancy without excessive fear of gaining weight. If you have worked hard losing weight, congratulations! If you became pregnant before reaching your goal weight, congratulations! Your goal will have to be on pause for 10 months or so. I say at least 10 months, because you have a higher calling even after your birth! You have to nurture a human in there and what you eat will directly affect their growth, intelligence, and future propensity for obesity (babys body is set up to think he/she is starving). Gaining weight in pregnancy is a GOOD thing. Gaining a modest amount of fat on you is also necessary for the baby's health and is a reserve for breastfeeding later. If you eat too little, your baby may not be as healthy. Google it yourself.
    My story is -
    in my 1st two pregnancies, I was sick as sick can be and ate anything in sight to suppress the nausea. I gained 25kilograms each time, before delivery, and lost about 15 kg in the delivery and 2 weeks after. The rest came off slowly over 6 months of breastfeeding. (Actually nursed for two years each baby)
    My 3rd pregnancy was different. I was sicker and unable to rest because of my 2 boys. Everything stank to my nose and it was a bad space emotionally (read: ate junk like a pig and got really podgy). I found out that I had Gestational Diabetes. I had to follow this strict diet of timing my carb intake and limiting the quantity. I lost fat while the baby was growing happily. She wasn't affected by the diabetes because I kept my blood sugars under control with the diet.
    I would urge you to pay attention to diet quality, not quantity. Obviously vegetables, fruit, meat, you probably already know all that. If you are struggling to get enough calories in, add some healthy fats like nuts, coconut oil etc. You can't go wrong if your diet is high quality. Allow yourself a little treat sometimes. Enjoy your pregnancy and remember that you can't get back this time nurturing your baby on the inside, but you can lose weight after your baby is born. If you start pregnancy at a normal weight then you have a great chance of getting back to that weight afterwards.
    love Emily.
  • michys889
    michys889 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i started using myfitnesspal when i was pregnant because i felt like i was gaining too much weight. i ended up replacing most of junk food with baby carrots lol. but i too failed a lot of the times lol. i was gaining about 2 pounds every 1-2 weeks although i tried to eat the best that i can. i later found out i had excessive water from the baby being too low. after i had him, all the water went away i realized that i really only gained 7 pounds for my pregnancy not 43 pounds. but he's 7 months now and I'm still struggling to get my weight back to what it was. i actually gained weight because now i am not able to go for my 2 hr walks everyday like i used to. so i am back on myfitnesspal hoping to return to my old weight. i have 20+ lbs to loose. look at the nutrition section on the myfitnesspal app and it shows if ur eating too much of something, this helped me make better choices when i pregnant. oh and drink lots and lots of water lol. drink a cup of water before u eat anything, so you will fill up on water and not over eat. and the water will help the baby lol the dr said my baby has a lot of water around him, thats good you must be drinking a lot of water. i hope this helps! also i chose to breastfeed my son and that helps a lot with burning calories, you burn 300 to 500 calories a day from breastfeeding.