Genetically engineered salmon? Other animals?

Options
catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
In the news today - FDA approved.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/business/genetically-engineered-salmon-approved-for-consumption.html
Made me think.
Companies are NOT required to put genetically modified on the label.
Could other "animals" also be engineered and I don't even know I'm eating them?
Cows? Chickens? Turkey?
Not only will that SALMON be farmed from Panama, but will be engineered to grow twice as fast.
Genetically combined with an eel-like creature
But, is my chicken genetically modified to grow faster? Never thought about it.
Ex: Walmart frozen chicken breasts.

Replies

• youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    Go Science!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/business/genetically-engineered-salmon-approved-for-consumption.html
    Made me think.
    Cows? Chickens? Turkey?
    Not only will that SALMON be farmed from Panama, but will be engineered to grow twice as fast.

Have you thought of growing your own food and fish?

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/farm-barrel-raise-fish-and-grow-your-own-organic-vegetables
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm not aware of any on the market in the US right now. Crossbred, yes, but not GMO. Now that the Crispr/Cas system has been developed, there'll be more opportunity for this kind of thing.

BTW, subbing out genes from other organisms is not necessarily a bad thing. It needs to be evaluated case-by-case.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty nasty but I think they're trying to sell it as some kinda super food
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    As long as they don't release them into the wild to crossbreed with other species, and they are labelled as farmed fish, I'll be OK with it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Made me think.
    Cows? Chickens? Turkey?

Well, your Walmart chicken has been bred over many generations by humans to have certain "unnatural" characteristics, if you consider breasts so oversized that the chicken probably couldn't stand up on its own if it had room to do so (a pretty anti-survival characteristic that could hardly evolve naturally, since the foxes would be picking off any chickens with those genes).

I'd like to know more than just "genetically modified." Some GMO foods I might be fine with, if I know enough about it, others maybe not. I think ideally the label would say GMO or contains GMO ingredients, with a URL you could go to for more information about what organisms they're getting the genes from, and what those genes do.

The article I saw about the salmon mentioned the insertion of genes from Pacific salmon, which I didn't think should bother me, and a fish called "pout," which I never heard of. According to Wikipedia, the ocean pout has antifreeze proteins in its blood--well, I don't want antifreeze in my food, was my initial thought. But I read a little further and it's the promoter for the antifreeze protein (so, not the antifreeze itself) that is being transplanted into the GMO Atlantic salmon, to push the growth hormones produced by the borrowed Pacific salmon genes into the bloodstream of the GMO Atlantic salmon faster.

I'm going to have to think about that. I buy organic dairy when I can, because I'd like to avoid being part of the great national experiment in which we're all consuming historically high levels of rGBH, but I'm not obsessive about it--I buy the cheeses I want, and I don't often see many options in organic cheese. And I buy ice cream, which I don't see in organic varieties (and if I did, I bet it wouldn't come in Boom Chocolatta Cookie Core flavor--just checked, and Ben & Jerry tout non-GMO ingredients, cage-free hens, and Fair Trade sugar and vanilla, but merely "happy" cows, not rGBH-free cows). Of course, salmon isn't nearly as big a part of my diet as dairy, so a little extra fish growth hormone from time to time is probably not going to mess with my hormones too much. Anyway, I try to buy wild salmon when I can, so the GMO thing is even less of an issue for me (until a few of the laboratory fish escape: "Jurassic Salmon Run").
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know more than just "genetically modified." Some GMO foods I might be fine with, if I know enough about it, others maybe not. I think ideally the label would say GMO or contains GMO ingredients, with a URL you could go to for more information about what organisms they're getting the genes from, and what those genes do.

The article I saw about the salmon mentioned the insertion of genes from Pacific salmon, which I didn't think should bother me, and a fish called "pout," which I never heard of. According to Wikipedia, the ocean pout has antifreeze proteins in its blood--well, I don't want antifreeze in my food, was my initial thought. But I read a little further and it's the promoter for the antifreeze protein (so, not the antifreeze itself) that is being transplanted into the GMO Atlantic salmon, to push the growth hormones produced by the borrowed Pacific salmon genes into the bloodstream of the GMO Atlantic salmon faster.

I'm going to have to think about that. I buy organic dairy when I can, because I'd like to avoid being part of the great national experiment in which we're all consuming historically high levels of rGBH, but I'm not obsessive about it--I buy the cheeses I want, and I don't often see many options in organic cheese. And I buy ice cream, which I don't see in organic varieties (and if I did, I bet it wouldn't come in Boom Chocolatta Cookie Core flavor--just checked, and Ben & Jerry tout non-GMO ingredients, cage-free hens, and Fair Trade sugar and vanilla, but merely "happy" cows, not rGBH-free cows). Of course, salmon isn't nearly as big a part of my diet as dairy, so a little extra fish growth hormone from time to time is probably not going to mess with my hormones too much. Anyway, I try to buy wild salmon when I can, so the GMO thing is even less of an issue for me (until a few of the laboratory fish escape: "Jurassic Salmon Run").

For the most part, it doesn't matter what's in the animal as long as you're not injecting it into your bloodstream. With very few exceptions, proteins don't cross the intestinal walls except after being fragmented into tiny pieces by proteases and then absorbed as amino acids. Our bodies are very good at not permitting the proteins we ingest - which have wide varieties of biological functions - to interfere with our own biological processes.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm473249.htm
    The AquAdvantage Salmon may be raised only in land-based, contained hatchery tanks in two specific facilities in Canada and Panama. The approval does not allow AquAdvantage Salmon to be bred or raised in the United States. In fact, under this approval, no other facilities or locations, in the United States or elsewhere, are authorized for breeding or raising AquAdvantage Salmon that are intended for marketing as food to U.S. consumers.
    As required by the National Environmental Policy Act, the FDA completed an environmental assessment to determine whether approval of the application would result in significant effects on the quality of the human environment in the United States. The FDA has determined that the approval of the AquAdvantage Salmon application would not have a significant environmental impact because of the multiple and redundant measures being taken to contain the fish and prevent their escape and establishment in the environment.

These measures include a series of multiple and redundant levels of physical barriers placed in the tanks and in the plumbing that carries water out of the facilities to prevent the escape of eggs and fish. Finally, the AquAdvantage Salmon are reproductively sterile so that even in the highly unlikely event of an escape, they would be unable to interbreed or establish populations in the wild.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Some good science right there.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eh, get used to it. The world keeps going the way we are, we'll all be living on Soylent by the 2040s...
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    If it lowers the price of Salmon I'm all for it.. Go science!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I kid came from the local farm fair. We've been selectively breeding our farm animals for a long time now. Have you gotten up close to a beef cow lately? The show animals I saw were gentle, massive square beasts that put on an amazing poundage in a single growing season.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

For the most part, it doesn't matter what's in the animal as long as you're not injecting it into your bloodstream. With very few exceptions, proteins don't cross the intestinal walls except after being fragmented into tiny pieces by proteases and then absorbed as amino acids. Our bodies are very good at not permitting the proteins we ingest - which have wide varieties of biological functions - to interfere with our own biological processes.

As I said, it reportedly is the promoter for the pout antifreeze protein that is being inserted into the GMO Atlantic salmon, resulting in an increase in growth hormone. It is the growth hormone I'm concerned about, not the protein that isn't even at issue, anyway. I thought I was pretty clear. I'm sorry for the confusion.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Creating genetically modified salmon by splicing it with another creatures DNA is not the same as selectively breeding chickens to have larger breasts over time. This trend is insidious and disgusting and has nothing to do with the best interests of any of us.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

As I said, it reportedly is the promoter for the pout antifreeze protein that is being inserted into the GMO Atlantic salmon, resulting in an increase in growth hormone. It is the growth hormone I'm concerned about, not the protein that isn't even at issue, anyway. I thought I was pretty clear. I'm sorry for the confusion.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/nda080808
    EFSA’s NDA and GMO Panels have issued a joint opinion on the safety of ice structuring proteins (ISPs) for use in foods. ISPs are naturally produced by a variety of living organisms – including certain fish, plants and vegetables - to help them cope with very cold environments by lowering the temperature at which ice crystals form.

A technique has been developed to add ISPs to ice cream in order to control the formation of ice crystals during manufacture permitting a creamy consistency with lower fat content. The technique involves production of the isolated proteins using a genetically modified strain of baker’s yeast – a system common in the production of vitamins and enzymes. The protein produced does not contain any residual modified yeast cells or detectable recombinant DNA.

A food manufacturer has submitted an application under the Novel Food Regulation to use ISPs as a food ingredient by applying this technique. The European Commission asked EFSA to review the evidence regarding the safety of ISPs including scientific arguments raised by Member States during the regulatory commenting period.

EFSA’s NDA and GMO Panels concluded that the proposed use of ISPs – in ice cream at no more than 0.01% of weight - is safe subject to the specification and production practices described by the applicant. The Panels found no evidence of genotoxic activity in a variety of trials. Based on a range of test results, the risk of an allergic reaction in fish-allergic people or the population at large is considered very unlikely, as is the possibility that allergic reactions to yeast allergens could occur due to eating the ISP-containing products.

Ice structuring proteins are already consumed as part of the human diet - they have been found in common foods such as oats, rye, wheat, barley, carrot, potato and cold water fish. No safety issues have been reported either from consuming natural dietary sources or through the addition of ISPs to foods, which is authorised in countries including the United States, Australia and New Zealand. If added to ice cream, expected EU consumer intake through this source would be well within the current estimated levels of dietary exposure.

It is already being used in ice cream:
    http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/education_discussion/molecule_of_the_month/download/Antifreeze-Prot.pdf
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Sure it's safe, so are the Asian Carp in the Missouri River Basin, Asian Ladybugs, Lampray Eel in the Great Lakes, add thousands of other non natural pests that are invasive. Sure science Knows all!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    emtjmac wrote: »
    Creating genetically modified salmon by splicing it with another creatures DNA is not the same as selectively breeding chickens to have larger breasts over time. This trend is insidious and disgusting and has nothing to do with the best interests of any of us.

Agreed. Just label it. http://www.justlabelit.org/right-to-know-center/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sure it's safe, so are the Asian Carp in the Missouri River Basin, Asian Ladybugs, Lampray Eel in the Great Lakes, add thousands of other non natural pests that are invasive. Sure science Knows all!

Those are all naturally occurring creatures, not genetically modified in any way. The problem is they were relocated from their natural habitat to one that doesn't have their natural predators and other population controls. The relocation was accidental in at least two of those cases (don't know about the lamprey). In other words, scientists did not suggest it or weigh in on potential consequences. Dollars to donuts they weren't even consulted until the problem already existed.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    emtjmac wrote: »

Agreed. Just label it. http://www.justlabelit.org/right-to-know-center/

I too am against things that go against god's ordained natural order, and therefore want us all to require all those unnatural things labeled too.

That's right, I demand everything that comes from left-handed people be labeled, because it is my right to know.

For the record, some of the animals we've selectively breed have traits in them that come from other species. Transgenics happen in nature more than you'd think, and without it, you'd be thinking nothing because there are dozens of transgenes in humans that do useful things - meaning we'd not be here without them.
    That said, the biggest difference I see is a lab doing things one gene at a time is far better than selectively breeding for phenotypes without paying attention to all the other unknowns that come with it. Selective breeding has made all kinds of cat and dog breeds that have horrible degenerative diseases - spinal issues, breathing problems - all because people were paying attention on getting just a few traits without paying attention to everything else that came with it.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The plants and animals we consume today have already been altered substantially over the centuries so much so that there really is no such thing as "natural" food anymore. Mankind has been selectively breeding plants and animals for desired traits for so long, that most of the domesticated species could not not survive without us now. Even without man's interference, nature is not static, but is always evolving. GM is just a way of speeding up the process. Instead of waiting for a stray gamma ray to create the mutation we want in the species we want, we have discovered the mechanism to do it ourselves.

I have yet to here a substantive criticism of GMO that doesn't boil down to bruised feelings "It just seems icky" or fear mongering "How can we be assured they are 10000000% safe!!!!111!!!" It's these kind of Luddite emotional responses that also drive the insane anti-vaccine movement that is responsible for the recent resurgence of measles, mumps and whooping cough.