GETTING FRUSTRATED... HELP!!

Options
I am feeling VERY frustrated. I have been eating good and working out everyday (except for 1 day this week) and my scale has gone up 2.6 pounds! SERIOUSLY???? What is this? (beside discouraging)? Next week I have to work WAY LONGER in my workouts and try to start adding ALOT of fruit and veggies!!!!

Replies

• samickgirl
    samickgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    are you doing weight training too?
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1) is it "shark week"?
    2) have you eaten 7,000 calories over and above your maintenance calories (answer is very likely NO)?
    3) did you have something high in sodium?
    4) did you weigh at a different time of day, wearing something different?

Try re-weighing in a few days. You likely didn't gain - it's just a blip on the scale.
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating too little? Have you been eating your exercise calories? Are you eating a few big meals or multiple small ones? Maybe you are gaining muscle faster then you are losing weight. Muscle does weigh more then fat. And if that's the case, that muscle will only boost your metabolism and you will start to see the fat go away!

Also, it would help if you made your journal public so we could see and maybe help a little more.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    And of course there's always that number 1 evil foe.....TOM!!!
  • mgis11
    mgis11 Posts: 7
    Options

exactly what i was going to say! i can fluctuate nearly 10 pounds during TOM! i just dont weigh myself that week =)
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Its either muscle weight or too much salt/not enough water. I had gone out for chinese food one evening and weighed my self the next day and some how gained 2.5 pounds. Don't worry if you've been keeping yourself on track and had a sudden gain.
  • SarahE12345
    Options
    are you doing weight training too?

I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS and between 30 and 60 minutes of additional cardio which i have been changing up (going between light jog/fast walk/stationary bike/swimming)
  • SarahE12345
    Options
    1) is it "shark week"?
    2) have you eaten 7,000 calories over and above your maintenance calories (answer is very likely NO)?

Try re-weighing in a few days. You likely didn't gain - it's just a blip on the scale.

1)not sure what "shark week" is.....?????
    2) I have been under calories all this month except 1 day (got cookie happy with my friend home made AWSOME cookies)
    3) some sodium is high... most days I am way under in sodium... I know that this leads to retaining water but I dont feel like it explains over 2 pounds!!! :(
    4) I weight in at night before i go to bed which does change everyday (especially on weekends)... always before shower
  • SarahE12345
    Options
    Maybe you are eating too little? Have you been eating your exercise calories? Are you eating a few big meals or multiple small ones? Maybe you are gaining muscle faster then you are losing weight. Muscle does weigh more then fat. And if that's the case, that muscle will only boost your metabolism and you will start to see the fat go away!

Also, it would help if you made your journal public so we could see and maybe help a little more.

I am eating a lot, i never feel really hungry. I would say atleast 1500 a day (my limit is 1650).

My meal size/freuquency changes day to day. I try to eat few small but it is very difficult because of my work.

I do feel stronger so maybe muscle (Would be nice). I hope that it boosts my metabolism and fat leaves faster!!!

I dont know if I feel comforable with a public food journal :/
  • SarahE12345
    Options

I wish I could blame TOM! but unfortunately cant use that as an excuse :(
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    1) is it "shark week"?

4) I weight in at night before i go to bed which does change everyday (especially on weekends)... always before shower

I found that the best time to weigh in, for me anyway, is in the morning, after I go to the bathroom, before I have had anything to eat, and always in the nudie-patootie! :smile: I do that every Monday morn.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    "shark week" = TOM

Read the thread that Ladyhawk posted. You didn't gain 2 lbs; don't worry!

I might suggest that you weigh first thing in the morning for a more consistent number... after you pee, before getting dressed.
  • SarahE12345
    Options
    Its either muscle weight or too much salt/not enough water. I had gone out for chinese food one evening and weighed my self the next day and some how gained 2.5 pounds. Don't worry if you've been keeping yourself on track and had a sudden gain.

I hope its muscle weight.........

I try not to have a lot of salt (most days I am way under!) and i do drink tons of water (as well as other liquids that are zero calories/or crystal light which is 5 cals)

HAHA chinese food has rediculous amounts of salt but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy delicious!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My guess?

You're working out more and your body is retaining water. Keep it up and you'll see the weight loss.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Having come to the 90lb lost mark I can tell you the journey is anything but logical. Sometimes you think you'll see a gain and you get a little loss or no change. Sometimes you're so sure the scale will drop and, WTH? It's up. Honestly, it's like the stock market. It's up and down from day to day. But if you just stay with it for the long haul, you'll get results. Don't be thrown by a day. And, by the way, if you can, change to weighing in in the morning, after using the bathroom and before you dress. That's your lightest moment of the day. After that everything is a wildcard.
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I share your frustration. I have been at the same weight for almost 3 week now, even though I have been working out MORE and not diverting from my strict food intake amount or type. I have had a million suggestions on how to break the plateau - but have decided to merely wait it out. I know, logically, that my body can only hold on for so long!

The qustions that I ask myself are:1. do I FEEL better? 2. do I FEEL stronger? 3. do my clothes fit better? To all of the above, I answer yes. That keeps me continuing doing exactly what I have been doing. It worked to help me lose 12 lbs, so I know it will hep me lose the remaining 27 I want to lose. I just have to be patient.

I'd urge you to do the same!
  • SarahE12345
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and the encouragment. Its just frustrating to work so hard and see NO change much less to go "BACKWARDS!"