Is the act of sex not cardio?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Probably most of us are having sex as a pretty regular activity so it is accounted for in our regular activity or it isn't enough of a calorie burn to bother logging it.
    You can look up the amount of calories it burns and create an exercise under "my exercises" on the MFP web site and log it if you want. http://calorielab.com/burned
    You can ask MFP your question if it hasn't been covered already. https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    7-15?

Y so much cardio?

Just say no to cardio. I prefer it in a manner which makes it a combination of strength training and gymnastics.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Oh look, this question again....

ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hard breathing doesn't always equate to "cardio". Not to mention that most sessions last 7-15 minutes on average.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

7-15?

Y so much cardio?

7-15? I was thinking, maybe spread out over three sessions.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't even log my most sexual looking heavy lifts. I have no idea why you would try to log this.
  • KimmieCapone
    KimmieCapone Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you... but some of these responses are hilarious! I want to know where this 7-15 minute stuff is coming from... I'm lucky to get 5 minutes. Really, really lucky. :p
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    7-15?

Y so much cardio?

Just say no to cardio. I prefer it in a manner which makes it a combination of strength training and gymnastics.

My thoughts exactly. Add a little kink and it can be zumba, crossfit or roller derby.
    But this is a funny thread. I wouldn't count it though. Just part of the BMR of being human ;-)

• cooperhodge2013
    cooperhodge2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    mfp counts it as part of daily life, lol like cleaning your house or walking to the mail box
    Cleaning and walking are both exercises available for logging. Lol

I always log it as belly dancing. Figure the muscles are similar?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    7-15?

Y so much cardio?

My thoughts exactly. Add a little kink and it can be zumba, crossfit or roller derby.
    But this is a funny thread. I wouldn't count it though. Just part of the BMR of being human ;-)

How YOU doin'?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    whoa nelly
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale they sell them at Wal-Mart. It's probably just waterweight, but if you eat at a deficit it will be ok.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    HIIT...
    I concur
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Get a food scale they sell them at Wal-Mart. It's probably just waterweight, but if you eat at a deficit it will be ok.

Somehow a food scale would ruin the spontaneity for me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Somehow a food scale would ruin the spontaneity for me.

But if you get hung up in a plateau, a food scale is the key.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is still a question? So..3 years ago, when i was here then, this very topic sparked huge debate. I think - ultimately - it's a matter of choice if you count it. There are calorie tools that can offer estimates or if you really want to know, maybe you have a fit bit with a heart rate monitor that can give you a more accurate reading. I think any activity that raises the heart rate to "cardio level" for your height/weight/resting heart rate measurement for more than 3 sustained minutes (or something like that) counts (medically speaking). I can't swear to the details but it's something along those lines. Personally, if it gets the system pumped for 20 minutes, does it REALLY matter if it's jumping jacks or jumping sheets in the end? I mean, who us going to know the diff besides you and whomever you may or may not be working out with? Pole dancing IS a thing now, after all. Noone said what kind of pole it had to be. ;)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    7-15 ??

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

Wow. That's just sad. :(
    Our short is 15. Avg is 20-30. Long 45+.
    Maybe that's why I always felt ok about adding. But only if 20+. Usually involves squats, lifts, crunches, push ups... so there's some strength in there too. I'll also add cleaning if it's something that works up a sweat and isn't passive - I have all hardwood in nearly 2000 sq.ft. if I sweep and mop the whole house, better believe I'm counting it! (But not a single room). There's walking plus resistance for 30+ minutes and no, I don't sweep and mop my whole house often. Usually a room here and there. It's really time consuming.

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing IS a thing now, after all. Noone said what kind of pole it had to be. ;)

If you don't think pole dance is fitness you've obviously never done it. It requires a tremendous amount of upper body and core strength.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

I'm seriously lmfao
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is still a question? So..3 years ago, when i was here then, this very topic sparked huge debate. I think - ultimately - it's a matter of choice if you count it. There are calorie tools that can offer estimates or if you really want to know, maybe you have a fit bit with a heart rate monitor that can give you a more accurate reading. I think any activity that raises the heart rate to "cardio level" for your height/weight/resting heart rate measurement for more than 3 sustained minutes (or something like that) counts (medically speaking). I can't swear to the details but it's something along those lines. Personally, if it gets the system pumped for 20 minutes, does it REALLY matter if it's jumping jacks or jumping sheets in the end? I mean, who us going to know the diff besides you and whomever you may or may not be working out with? Pole dancing IS a thing now, after all. Noone said what kind of pole it had to be. ;)

I laugh every time I see this question because there really should not be a debate. I remember a few months ago one woman here was not losing weight and part of her exercise calories were coming from logging 30 minute sex sessions as 300 calories burned and eating back some of those exercise calories. People told her to stop logging sex sessions as cardio and she flew off the handle and got offended. If people burned all of these calories through sex, they wouldn't have the weight issues they do. Before they made any attempt at weight loss they, presumably, had regular sex and it did nothing for weight loss so why log it all of a sudden now that they're attempting weight loss? The only answers I can think of are a) for more calories to eat back, b) to just be able to log that they got some form of exercise instead of actually starting an exercise routine or c) to be able to use the calories burned as a way to get themselves back in the green at the end of the day when they close out their diary. It's a way to lie to themselves. I'm not saying that's why the OP here asked, but in certain cases when this question is asked, I feel like these are the reasons why. I know that people get tired, sweaty, and have racing hearts during sex, but trust me when I tell you that your sex sessions are probably not that serious calorie burn wise. It's not a realistic outlook to have.