How many reps and sets are best for building muscle

Options
Hi all, I want to build muscle mass but I am getting mixed opinions on what reps and sets are best? I think that if you want to build strength then you lift heavy with less reps? But is this the same for building bigger muscles or is it better to lift lighter with more reps? Thanks.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hypertrophy seems to be in the realm of high volume training. That could be between 5-10 sets per exercise and 16 sets minimum per body part. Rep range is usually from 6-12.
    Biggest issue that most people face building muscle though is lack of protein and calorie intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    There's really not best way and if you Google hypertrophy training I'm sure you'll find a structured program. Hypertrophy is more about total volume than anything. I'm of the mind-set to use some variety in your training. Use a couple compound movements as a base of strength and then a few accessory lifts that support a weakness for those lifts which will typically be higher rep.

NASM defines Hypertrophy Training as:

- 2 to 4 strength exercises per body part
    - reps - 6-12
    - sets 3 - 5
    - tempo 2-0-2
    - intensity (aka load/weight) 75-85% training max
    - rest: 60-sec in-between sets

• flashy0070
    flashy0070 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am eating about 200g of protein a day and I am gaining about a lb of body weight a week but not seeing very much in the way of looking more muscular?
    Can anyone recommend a hypertrophy program that I can do at home using barbell and dumbells?
  • lee41major
    lee41major Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've just started SL 5x5 3times a week. You only need a bench a bar and some weights.
  • Gabrielbk97
    Gabrielbk97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    5 sets and 5 Reps will improve strength man and build muscle