how much is to much

Options
bmw4deb
bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
I have been doing a zumba class 3 days a week and weight training 3 days a week,
I take saturdays off but do a lot of heavy catch up cleaning of the house ,pool, ca,r ect
that day.
My legs and lower back are so sore, I have a hard time going up and down the steps!
what can i do to help the soreness? will it get eaisier? is it to much to start at one time?
thanks everyone

Replies

• jgundo
    jgundo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any recovery drinks to help the mucles rebuild?
    They will also help with the sorness!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You definitely need at least one rest day. And all that cleaning you are doing is definitely not rest. I've worn my HRM while cleaning just out of curiosity and you'd be surprised how much exercise that is, especially if you are doing some heavy duty cleaning.

Your muscles get sore from the build of of lactic acid. After a strenuous workout it helps to get a nice good rub. Preferably from your significant other :D to work the lactic acid out of your muscles. I feel guilty asking for massages all the time but I really regret not asking for them the next day. It really does make a difference.

Also when we work out doing heavy resistance training are muscles are tearing and when they heal in fill in that's how we get bigger muscles. But if you are really tearing up your muscles, over doing the weights then your muscles are going to need more time to heal. On the days when you are doing the weights and resistance you can try to incorporate more protein to give your muscles more material to repair with.

When you are already sore a hot bath does wonders. I use Epsom Salt even though there's no real proof that it helps anything. It's like 2$ for a half gallon of the stuff so why not. I can't usually do the massage thing when I'm already sore as it just hurts worse and it's not really gonna help anything at that point.

It does get easier as your muscles get stronger. That's usually my queue to increase my resistance and my weight so that I can still get as much out of my workout as before.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You might want your active rest day to be a little lighter than what you have. How ling have you been doing this routine? I usually can adjust to shaking things up in about two weeks. If I'm still getting too much muscle fatigue after that point I back it down a bit.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    I have been doing a zumba class 3 days a week and weight training 3 days a week,
    I take saturdays off but do a lot of heavy catch up cleaning of the house ,pool, ca,r ect
    that day.
    My legs and lower back are so sore, I have a hard time going up and down the steps!
    what can i do to help the soreness? will it get eaisier? is it to much to start at one time?
    thanks everyone

Rest or a hot bath does help. I find that swimming laps helps me. The soreness you feel isn't lactic acid is tiny rips in the muscles. If you would like to know about the process of lactic acid and you muscles here is one of many article you can read:http://www.delano.k12.mn.us/sitepages/pid1817.php

I workout 4 days then take a day off and repeat. The fact is you need to listen to your body. My rule of the thumb is take a day off if your still too sore to more the following day take another. Too much to soon could cause you to hurt yourself.

It gets easier to some degree. I would say that you get use to being sore most of the time. Hopefully this helps you.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone great advise, I have only been doin this 2 weeks,
    I have skipped the zumba today (just to sore) gonna just do some stretching
    and relaxing today.
  • lgchoc
    lgchoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im zumba'ing tomorrow, how many calories do you say you burn after zumba'ing for 60mins?

thanks ;)