Canned beets nutrition... huh?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I bought a small can of Del Monte sliced beets. It says the serving size is 0.5 cup, or 124g, and that there are about 2 servings in a can (SMALL can. Doubtful).

But anyway, drained it came up to 128g of beets total.

How in the world do you log that? It's just odd. That came out to 43 calories or so, and USDA values for cooked beets is 61 calories for the same amount, so I logged that instead, but sheesh. That's what's frustrating about food logging... never know if it's drained or what...

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    They generally include the juice. Unless there is something for "drained", everything in the can is included.

Even if you weighed and consumed all the beets and juice, it would still be an estimate. It's all estimates. You cannot know exactly how many calories are in anything you're eating. You just do your best and tweak as you go if you aren't losing.

Don't sweat it. Whatever you come up with will be good enough for government work. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you can find them, fresh beets are yummy and easy to cook in the oven. Just wash, wrap in foil and put in a foil-lined plate. (Any liquid that leaks sticks like concrete.) Bake anywhere from 300F to 400F until a fork pokes through easily. Then cool in the foil. You can even store them in the fridge, still in the foil for several days. When you want to eat them, just slough off the skin with a paper towel, slice and eat. If you want them hot, microwave them a few seconds. Easy and yummy. You'll never go back to canned.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You did it right. Log them as boiled beets, per the usda database (" Beets - Cooked, boiled. drained, with salt"). Tuna cans (and everything, really) also include the liquid in the nutrient data. Does anyone actually eat undrained tuna?
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You did it right. Log them as boiled beets, per the usda database (" Beets - Cooked, boiled. drained, with salt"). Tuna cans (and everything, really) also include the liquid in the nutrient data. Does anyone actually eat undrained tuna?

My cat would! Or at least I assume she would, she gets the tuna water and laps it all up immediately.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you can find them, fresh beets are yummy and easy to cook in the oven. Just wash, wrap in foil and put in a foil-lined plate. (Any liquid that leaks sticks like concrete.) Bake anywhere from 300F to 400F until a fork pokes through easily. Then cool in the foil. You can even store them in the fridge, still in the foil for several days. When you want to eat them, just slough off the skin with a paper towel, slice and eat. If you want them hot, microwave them a few seconds. Easy and yummy. You'll never go back to canned.

Most of us can find fresh beets. Not what the thread is about.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Can the canned beets and go for fresh. I will never go back to canned. I can't believe it took me so long to make fresh beets. They taste so different and wonderful. Also, I clean them really well and boil them so I can keep the water. I make a drink out of it. I just add more water and some lemon juice and tea and it's great!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ValGogo wrote: »
    Can the canned beets and go for fresh. I will never go back to canned. I can't believe it took me so long to make fresh beets. They taste so different and wonderful. Also, I clean them really well and boil them so I can keep the water. I make a drink out of it. I just add more water and some lemon juice and tea and it's great!

I was in a rush and didn't have time. I don't usually buy canned stuff, was just more convenient this time, although I admit that I've only bought fresh beets once and it was a pain.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options

All the tuna I have purchase here in Canada lists the nutrition information as drained.